AMD and Nvida in the same laptop

A place to talk about all things mobile
d34d1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

AMD and Nvida in the same laptop

Post by d34d1 »

Hello, Im trying to find a laptop that uses amd athlon 64 turion processor and nvidia go6800 graphics card with a 17'' screen. I went to many of the popular brands of computer makers and found that HP and Dell have the best value and something ill live with but not what I want and the price matters im looking for something under 2k more like 1.5-1.8ish. The problem with the customizable HP and Dells are that I can get the processor I want in the hp but get a mediocre graphics card like the ati xpress 200m or I can get a pentium-m and get a go 6800 grahpics card which is almost fine with me, but I would prefer an athlong 64 mobile/turion. So I did some googling and threw some other sites got to this site and became interested in building my own laptop the way I want it. I have built my desktops and consider myself somewhat competent. So my question is whether there are any chassis available that can carry an amd processor and nvidia graphics card(go 6800). If this combination is not possible such as an amd with nvidia then I would like to consider a chassis that runs amd and an equivolent ati graphics card which I think is the x800(correct me if im wrong).
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

I'm an AMD guy myself. I've built only AMD desktops for others over the last 5 years and don't have plans to change that at all. I've surfed the web till my eyelids were held open with toothpicks and the only information I'll share with you is this:

AMD plans to announce in the near future that they will be offering whitebook support by including their processors in some barebones machines.

What this means for the whitebook community is that they AMD will make a showing in the market, perhaps a little late, but I would expect them to work closely with companies such as ASUS and/or MSI and other large companies that currently make up a large majority of the market.

I don't know if AMD plans to develop a new core or chipset to conserve power like Intel's Pentium M processors, but to my knowledge, the only reason AMD isn't fully supported in the whitebooks now is due to cooling and battery life issues that current processors (Athlon XP's and 64's) would have if they were used in laptops.

I read an interesting article, I forget where, but it goes into more detail about the topics I've mentioned. I also know that they said they'll be making a formal announcement in early '06 with more details and launch partners. So.... keep your eyes peeled for more information and if I can re-locate that article (which to me seemed fully legit) I'll link it here.
Stormtrooper TK421
d34d1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by d34d1 »

Thanks for the information man thats a bummer though.