help with router, PLEASE

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

help with router, PLEASE

Post by DeusEx »

well i jsut set up my z71v notebook (thanks to legit reviews).
my specs
2gb ram, 2.13 ghz processor, 80 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, dvd/rw optical drive. i paid $1650.i noticed a single dead pixel which im not going to worry about, i love the laptop already :)

Now lets get to the problem that im having with the router ( model wrt54gs). i tried following linksys direcrions and set it up. They tell me to disconnect the modem from the computer and plug that cord into the router. the problem is the friggin end of the cord will not match the one on the router that im supposed to use ! i have the motorola surfboard sb4100 cable modem. WHat the hell am i supposed to do ???
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

well, it's simple, you plug the RJ-45 (network cable, 8-wire cable smaller than the coax in the back of the cable modem) into the router (I want to say the uplink port if I'm not mistaken, haven't worked with the newer routers). make sure you have the antennas plugged in on the wireless router (stick em in the router, lol). make sure your wireless network card on the lappie is up and going. Turn the system on and make sure the router is on, and it should auto-recognize the signal and start assigning an IP address to your lappie as per your cable provider's DHCP server. Windows XP is good like that. The strange port or ports on the router you might be referring to is where you plug the antennas in. I didn't mean to sound like a smartass on that last one, but you can never be too careful (when I started to learn to create networks, and I was working with a pair of Cisco routers to simulate a WAN, I plugged the Ethernet cable into the wrong port, which was the AUX port instead of the Eth or FA0 port, and screwed the routers up, lol). The Linksys instructions should have a diagram of all the ports on the router, and which one to use to connect the cable from the modem to the router. Sounds difficult, but it's not after you get to working with it 8)

edit: looking at the graphic Newegg has, you plug the RJ-45 cable from the modem into the port separate from the others.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

should go from the modem to the port marked WAN for it to route, any of the other will put it in switch only mode.
However when you say it doesn't fit, it occurs to me that you may have been connecting the modem to computer via USB before? which will not work to the router. For that you need to use cat5 (or better) ethernet cable and add a NIC (network interface card) to the main computer if it does not have one already or a built in NIC. fortunately NICs and short cables are cheap.
the 4100 has both USB and RJ45 jacks, but in most cases your isp/cable company will not allow you to use both at once.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

usb

Post by DeusEx »

yes i used usb. ill have to buy the rj-45. u guys sure my dell will not have the nic card or whatever i need ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: usb

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx wrote:yes i used usb. ill have to buy the rj-45. u guys sure my dell will not have the nic card or whatever i need ?
You can check if you have a NIC, in XP -> goto network connections in control panel. you should have a LAN connection

If not check device manager --> r-click my computer, goto manager -> click device manager on left
Under network adaptors you should see an ethernet controller
OR below it mayby listed as "other device" if the drivers are not installed

If you have no NIC, you can buy 1 for ~$10 --> all you need is a 10/100 mbit NIC....DON'T get a Gigabit NIC if all your going to do is use it for web access..
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: usb

Post by Illuminati »

DeusEx wrote:yes i used usb. ill have to buy the rj-45. u guys sure my dell will not have the nic card or whatever i need ?
you'll have to look at the back of the dell to see if it has a port that looks just like the ones on the back of the router. RJ-45 is bigger than the dial-up modem ports, so once you get an RJ-45 cable, you can tell by if it fits... (besides there being 8 little wire connectors in the RJ-45 port as opposed to just 2 or 4 for a phone line).

How old is your dell? I'd say if it is less than 2-yrs-old, then you probably have an integrated nic and all you'll need is a RJ-45 cable.

Let us know if you need anymore help... looks like we have pleanty of network junkies here. :mrgreen:
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hey hey hey Justin! I'm not just a junkie, I'm studying around this field, lol. Well, that and a little network security, administration, IT work, etc, etc...
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

killswitch83 wrote:hey hey hey Justin! I'm not just a junkie, I'm studying around this field, lol. Well, that and a little network security, administration, IT work, etc, etc...
Hmm... would network STONER be better for ya? lmao.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Illuminati wrote:
killswitch83 wrote:hey hey hey Justin! I'm not just a junkie, I'm studying around this field, lol. Well, that and a little network security, administration, IT work, etc, etc...
Hmm... would network STONER be better for ya? lmao.
Hey, stoner can make worthwhile a contribution to society LOL
Half of Ireland is on the Net thanks to me :P
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

wow

Post by DeusEx »

i got the lan , but i dont see the ports :( what i do now ? i think i have the dell

Dimension B110

which is now really cheap. i bought it when it was around 1k.

i just wanna take that desktop and drill holes in it.. damn it. so what do i do now, any way to still make it work ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sounds like you need to buy a network card!
Should only cost a few bucks!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

hmmm

Post by DeusEx »

so the network card coimes with rhj-45 ports?????????

ps thanks for helping, i feel hopeless
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: hmmm

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx wrote:so the network card coimes with rhj-45 ports?????????

ps thanks for helping, i feel hopeless
yep
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

hmm

Post by DeusEx »

can u guys give me link or something so i know which one i need to buy to use with this router and modem and how to install it ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Try Here

It can be found for less than $5!!!

It will mean you will have to open your case, and install the PCI card...
It's easy to do, just plug it into the white slot
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

If this is your verison of the Dimension B110 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/product ... l=en&s=dhs
the RJ-45 is the port in the white square (zoom in on the back picture) next to the USB ports, if it's not there (older model)
a basic 10/100 lan card from compusa,bestbuy,etc. (what ever is close and cheap)
you will need 2 cat5 (or better cables (one or more probaly came with the modem and the router)
to connect the modem<-> router (marked WAN)<->desktop computer
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

well i have an older version of that. im ashamed to say lol.

now regarding the fACT U SAID I NEED 2 CABLES. is that to the Addition to the blue cable provided by the linksys for router / computer connection ?

and ken the network adapter you showed is from netgear, it is still compatible with linksys routers correct?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The cable supplied by Linksys should do fine....(ie. buy just 1 cable, although having a spare is usefull!)
The network card make doesn't really matter! They all follow a well established spec. (So they all work well with each other)

The card I listed is cheap, and brand name.

Just remember if you buy one, don't pay too much! (any cheap brand name card will do)
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

so techinically if i go to staples and ask for a "network card" , whatever they will give me will work?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx wrote:so techinically if i go to staples and ask for a "network card" , whatever they will give me will work?
Yep....Just ask for a standard network card....
You can buy them in any shop that sells pc parts...and as I said don't pay too much...I'd say upto $20 if buying in a store.