Thanks to LR i got z71v

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Thanks to LR i got z71v

Post by DeusEx »

i was just going to thank legit reviews for encouraging me to build my own laptop based on the z71v. particularly apop, killswitch, and ken. thanks to you guys i was able to get my laptop for $1750. Heres the specs for my lappy and the other parts i got for it;

asus z71v
2.13 ghz processor.
2GB of ddr2 ram
nvidia 6600 GT
80GB hitatchi 7200 rpm HDD
Z71 Chassis 8X Dual DVD+/- RW Optical Drive
wireless card a/b/g
windows xp

-Optical WIRELESS mouse ($50 from staples but only $9 from amazon which is where i bought it. i bought a mouse pad from staples for $10 which cost me more than my mouse !!! haha)
-linksys router with giga lan and speed booster
- games; deusex invisible war, warcraft 3 tft, homeworld 2.

the chassis i got was from digitalhotbuy (http://www.digitalhotbuy.com), other parts came from zimzoomfly, amazon, and page computers. All these companies performed well, but i was VERY happy with digital hotbuy, they offered me a very low price on the z71v- $715 shipped.

the laptop is very sweet. i havent seen a better built machine. the only thing i have to say i dont like is that when u look at the right of the keyboard you will see that arrow keys are lower than the rest of the keyboard. now i dont care that its lower i just wish they made the rest of the keys thicker (especially spacebar so its easier to type). it wouldve looked sleaker and the most used buttons (on bottom) would be easier accessed.

I expected up to 6 dead pixels on mine. i was not freaking out about em, but my heart punded the first time i turned it on. i got 1 dead pixel between center and top right corner. i was going to take 6 times that so im happy with it. it looks small and insignificant and doenst bother me. Nothing is perfect although that is pretty much the only thing that kept it unperfect ( also the spacebar).

i might be able to write a real review after i get to use it, this is just the first impressions.

*note after i installed my processor and my computer was closed up, my brother asked me to give him his pen. and what do u know: STATIC electricity shocked his hand !it came from me of course. SO LUCKY MY CPU is undamaged :).

you can ask any questions if u want later on.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Thanks for the update and for the props on the tips for building it. Hope you are happy with it!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

happy does not describe it. maybe ecstatic ! hehe. with my budget at around 1700 there was no way to purchase what i wanted from companies, and building was the only solution. this is a great site. I feel asus did a superb job on their laptops. i cant wait till i install the windows and get ready to go. just one question;

do i need to install the drivers that came with the asus laptop ?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

TO get the battery power saving modes and for the I/O devices to work you DO need to install the ASUS drivers. Just be sure to install the desktop video card drivers for better graphics.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

are the video card drivers - the yellow cd ?
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

DeusEx wrote:are the video card drivers - the yellow cd ?
Even if the chassis was shipped with video drivers, be sure to visit the manufacturer's website for the most recent. More than likely the drivers included in the shipped software is out of date.

This applies for 99% of all video cards from my experiences.
Stormtrooper TK421