Need help finding system builder

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
wingnut
Legit User
Legit User

Need help finding system builder

Post by wingnut »

I'm about at my wits end trying to find a company to build me a dual processor capable Opteron dual core system that will incorporate the specific components that I want.

The closest I've been able to come is MonarchComputer.com but they have just a few motherboards, power supplies, etc to choose from. And I'm having a particularly hard time finding a way to handle 4 monitors with a minimum reslolutoin of 1920x1200. The only thing I've found there is a Matrox QID LP 128MB DDR/PCI-E/Quad-DVI for $715.

I'd love to build my own but I've never done that before and with a budget of close to $4k I'm reluctant to wind up with an expensive disaster.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

TIA

wingnut
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It's not that hard to build one yourself although some hardware does come with less than adequate documentation although I can certainly understand your apprehension.

Maybe we have some forum members in your area willing to give a hand?
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If you know all the parts you want then I'm sure you could find someone to build it for you off the forums then send it to you. That is really they only way to do it unless you know someone locally. I know the owner of All American Computer, but he doesn't do enough volume to get good prices and then marks it up to make his money, which means it's too much money versus doing it yourself.

If you have a camera I'd say order it all yourself and try building it. If you get stuck post a picture and we can walk you through it.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

You could always call up a PC repair shop for an appointment and then bring it in and have them assemble it on the spot for you so you can be assured they don't rip you off. :P

Probably wouldn't be too expensive, but if they do try and overcharge you for such a simple thing, just barter with them. $100 would be a reasonable price for the service, I mean, it's not exactly rocket science, shouldn't take more than an hour or two either for an experienced tech. :mrgreen:

Edit: As for running four monitors, I think it would be better to just get a board with SLi as opposed to looking for a subpar video card that can handle four monitors.

This might do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130523

I remember reading around trying to look for info about what cards could do 2x 1920x1200 but only found one person who had a 6800 with two 2405FPW's and another with a X1800XL so I assume most people aren't having any problems with newer cards since I've not seen any posts with long strings of cursing or anything. :lol:

Two dual DVI 256MB 6600's would probably be fine.
But you could always go for more pricey stuff if you want to be safe. :P

Edit (again): http://www.9xmedia.com/Pages-Video_Card ... cards.html

Good site with a huge chart of cards, seems even a 6200 can handle 2x 1920x1200 unless I'm reading the chart wrong. :P
wingnut
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wingnut »

Thanks duudes!!

You've sorta talked me into after thinking about it for a while. It seems to be the only way I can get a system that has all of the best components.

If you guys will be patient with me I have a digital camera and maybe you could walk me thru the process and/or point to some docs that can get me started on the right path.

I'm going to post another topic: "Rolling my own: Please recommend components". Hope you'll help me select the good thingys to build it around.

Again, thanks!

w
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Sure thing. I feel pretty sure you'll find it easier than you think. There are some guides on the web as well. When you do get your components (or while you are waiting for them) download the manuals for the major components from the manufacturer's website. Most itmes, this is a more detailed and complete version than what ships with the product. This is especially true with motherboards (DFI Lanparty in particular) and cases.
Joe
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

The toughest parts are probably installing the CPU and installing the motherboard to the case.

The instructions for motherboard installation will likely come with your case, and as for the processor, AMD has a pretty nice full color guide you can follow:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... /30925.pdf
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

The toughest part for me on my first build was all the frickin' cables from the case and the power supply. Which ones did I NEED to plug in and which ones were NOT needed. The instructions for the mobo were very brief and the case instructions we so poorly worded (Lian-Li) that it was pretty much useless. I was so worried about plugging the wrong part in the wrong connector and frying the rig I spent 2 days putting it together and double checking. At the time it was my only computer so I had no online referece. The CPU part was a breeze.
Joe
Strid3r-
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Or...

Post by Strid3r- »

Whoops...double post.
Last edited by Strid3r- on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLI Mobo
2 GB Patriot DDR400
eVGA 7600GS
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

I have built the following (and/or owned):
2 dual Athlon systems
1 dual PIII system
1 dual Opteron system
1 dual Xeon system

The case is probably the biggest mistake I see people make. Highly recommend an extended ATX case and I don't mean one that allows hard drives to over hang over the motherboard. It cause two problems, proper air flow and space can get very cramped even to the point that some components many not fit.

I like the Gigacase YY201 case and the CoolerMaster Stacker 810 case.

Sorry, already giving advice and you haven't even asked for it. :p
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hey, giving someone heads up is a good thing for sure :)

wish I knew more about dual processor mobo's, coulda been of some help there.......learning curve anyone? heheh
Strid3r-
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Monarch

Post by Strid3r- »

Monarch Computer http://www.monarchcomputer.com is a great place to look for parts as well as having a custom system built. They beat Alienware, Falcon NW, ABS, and Voodoo on prices and I believe them to be one of the best vendors out there.
AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLI Mobo
2 GB Patriot DDR400
eVGA 7600GS