z71v CPU major overheat issues

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

z71v CPU major overheat issues

Post by DeusEx »

basically speaking my cpu heat is 54 degrees when i put it to lowest use. i have a 2.13 ghz. if i put it on max performace, it overheats before the winodws even load ! goes to 99 degrees. so heres the thing. when i installed it, i just took it out of the box and put it into its slot. there was a black film on top i left that alone, was i supposed to peel it off ? im already going to order arctic silver thermal paste cause i dont think i have any kind of thermal solution on my computer. i can easly use it on lowest settings tho, but i wanna make sure an do it right. how does a thermal pad look like ? was there one installed when legit reviews built their z71v? thanks :P
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The black pad probably was the thermal pad :P

I know its kinda obvious, but did you make sure there was good contact between the CPU and the heatsink when installing it.

Oh, wait its a P-M, yeah, lack of thermal compound sounds the killer issue here! (is there/was there not a thermal pad on the heatsink?)

[edit]

So if you meant the black thing like in the picture, then yeah, you are needing some serious thermal compound!

[/edit]

Dan
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'd take it back apart and put a thick thermal compound on the notebook... Not AS3 or AS5 cause the break down over time!

SHould do the trick, but make sure you seat it first and then remove it and make sure the cpu/hsf is making full contact (the cpu should leave a full mark in the thermal goo.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

1) my cpu's top was very slick like film from a camera almost.
2) if i was to put it thermal paste it would go onto the slick black film correct?
3) what kind of thermal paste should i apply. can you guys reccomend something?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I would use Shin-Etsu, Arctic Silver Ceramique or Arctic Silver Alumina

I would remove what is on the CPU and Heatsink with a tissue or ArctiClean (what I used on my Z71V) and you should have two clean surfaces.

The processor should come bare, I'm worried about the "like a camera film" statement, but I am thinking you are just commenting on the glossy knd of oil look of the CPU core under light. If that is correct this is 100% normal and nothing to worry about.

When putting on thermal compound everyone will tell you a different method. I personally put a dab of thermal compound on the CPU and cover the CPU with the compound using my finger. I then place another small dab on the core and install the heat spreader. Remember thin is better when it comes to compound. You shouldn't have compound on any of the green part even after putting the HSF on the processor. If you're processor is covered with compound (the green part) then you used way too much. Other people put a pile of compound down then install the HSF, which works. I've also seen people smooth out the compound with a credit card to keep finger oil off it...
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

okay ill t arctic silver it sounds good lol. as for the cleaning i havent put anything there so its bare. shoild i still clean it?

ps im thinking of getting this, will it work

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS ... 7?n=172282
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hum... I'd try to make sure it's at least Arctic Silver 5

I believe this is a link to one on amazon.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I've used a credit card to scrape off any old stuff. I also used a latex glove when spreading that junk around...i dont really like to get it on my hands, jsut a personal thing. I have purchased compound from Sideinder Computers with no problems. also, here is a link of artic silvers recommended way of applying the stuff. Like Apoptosis said, there are many different ways to do it. this is just an example.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've actually never seen that detailed page that Matt linked, but that is exactly what you want to do and show's the amount of compound needed. Great link!

Now you just need some thermal compound! \:D/
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

can u guys link me to a thermal pad picture so i can see if im missing it :) ?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It's usually a big blue pad, thin black piece of metal, or a grey square of compound. A Dothan processor comes naked, so something should be on the heatsink.

I actually don't have a picture of any because i take them all off right away.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

The last ASUS laptop I built had a piece of paper over the thermal pad that was on the heatsink that came with the laptop (so the thermal pad would not make a mess in the CPU socket). The directions indicate to remove the piece of paper before installing the CPU. Do you see anything on the botttom of the laptop heatsink? or is it just a clean smooth metal surface?

If you have a digital camera, take a pic of the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor and email it to me and I can post it up for ya and tell ya if you have a thermal pad.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

u know what? u guys r right lets stop guessing. i already ordered the compound but i still need to know if i should remove anything from there. so once i have time, possibly today ill open it up, take a couple of good pics and post it here.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

i tihnk i found the problem. there was a piece of paper that said (remove before use) still attatched to the cpu. the reason why i didnt remove it is because it was folded 3 times and i didnt see the writing when i installed it. thats why it was getting so hot, it wasnt tuching the paste but rather 3layers of paper. ill post pics anyway. thanks for the help i hope my cool cpu lasts.

Last thing does anyone know a program that would allow me to choose which applications i want to run at start up ? i hate running 10000 thingsi dont need. thnaks again ![/img]
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm sure your CPU will last just fine. I am glad that you got it worked out.

Try looking at this site: http://www.windowsstartup.com/ to remove some pesky programs when windows loads.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

DeusEx wrote: Last thing does anyone know a program that would allow me to choose which applications i want to run at start up ? i hate running 10000 thingsi dont need. thnaks again ![/img]
Assuming you are running windows xp, go to start, run, and type msconfig, then hit "ok". Then go to the startup tab. that shows you the programs that are running at startup and lets you pick which one to run and not run. if there is something that you are not sure about what it does, do a search in either the site apoptosis posted or google. you dont want to not start a program that is needed...can cause some problems and big headaches. :)
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009