Good PSU?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
cre8
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Good PSU?

Post by cre8 »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817103937
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817148004
or should I stick with FSP AX500?

Also since I'll be upgrading this christmas to
GeIL Ultra Platinum 2x512 4000
6800GS/Ultra

I don't want to spend alot on a PSU.Also I'm ocing.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

FSP and Antec are both good, aspire ... not so, i would stay away from them. They look nices but i would not trust my hardware to them.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I really recommend those Antec TruePower PSUs.....very good power supplies and they are actually pretty inexpensive.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I think it's around $89.99 for the TruePower II 550W......dual, stable 12V+ rails (high amps), amongst other things.......Definitely an excellent choice of a PSU! I plan on getting one for the Sonata II when I get a chance to get it, and plan on selling the SmartPower that comes with it, or I might keep it as a spare, I don't know just yet 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I personally use Antec and OCZ PSU's in my personal systems and on the test bench for what it is worth. I've tried others, but always gone back to those two brands.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

I'm considering a Seasonic myself for my next system. I hear they pay for themselves or at least justify their higher price over their lifetime given their near 99% efficiency. Means they put out less heat as well, that's always a plus.

Not an issue if you don't pay for your electricity though, of course, higher electricity usage may indirectly cost you in the way of higher rent. :P
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Sesonic are awsome PSU's i love mine, its only 300w but damn it has held up for several years, and 1.5 of thoes were under very heavy overclock.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I stopped using Antec after I fried one.......... :shock: Right now I'm using a Hiper and a Thermaltake TWV 500. I'm normally not very fond of TT PSU, but this one has done a extemely good job under some very harsh test conditions
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Kerii wrote:I'm considering a Seasonic myself for my next system. I hear they pay for themselves or at least justify their higher price over their lifetime given their near 99% efficiency. Means they put out less heat as well, that's always a plus.
Yeah, I hear ya. I have a Fortron (FSP) 500w Blue Storm right now and it is pretty good. The BIOS reports the 12v rail getting kinda low sometimes, but I don't really know how accurate the BIOS voltage readings really are. It can also get kinda noisy when it starts getting stressed and heats up.

But those Seasonic PSU's do look wonderful, I'm especially attracted by the active PFC and the super quiet operation. Too bad they are pretty expensive :(

The new Antec PSU's are also very nice, and are affordable too! OCZ's PSU line has been very solid, and Silverstone seems to have put out a great PSU product line as well. Of course, PC Power and Cooling PSU's are incredible, but you have to pay the premium price for one of those :roll:

I do have a question for you cre8...
Do you have a PCI-Express video card/motherboard? If so, then you are going to want to make sure the PSU you buy is ATX 12v 2.0 compliant. That means it will have a 24-pin ATX power connector, 6-pin PCI-Express connections, and (of course) SATA connectors. Just a heads up :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

BIO!!! glad to see you kicking around again, hope you feeling well :)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Thanks, ...........Feeling much better lately. Now just if I can stay this way for a while.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Powerstream 600W
Can't go wrong....adustable voltage rails are great for UTT ram, I can pump 3.4v into my ram without the need for the 5v jumpper on the DFI board ;)
Although the 520W is still powerfull enough!
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I personally would go with the antec. I had one for about 1 1/2 years...(tru power, 550W) still running stong with a bunch of junk running on it.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009