my computer is too slow to run programs i need help

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

my computer is too slow to run programs i need help

Post by chotachatri12 »

my computer has 128 mb of ram, 4gb hrad drive. oh yea i have windows xp and i cant run anything i need help or a program that will make my computer faster and make it run programs at the speed of light if possible. i need help this **** is crazy :rolleyes:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

What programs are you trying to run?

Your pc specs would also be usefull!
CPU / GFX card etc.

Welcome to LR forums :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

well the bad news is the best program is called windows 2k, or "get a job 2006" I have run windows XP before on systems that old, and it can be donw but generaly there is not much you can do to really speed it up. Windows 2k would run much better on it.

Now that said, here is what you can do to help out your current situation. if you go to your run command and type in "msconfig" then hit the last tab. Uncheck all, and it will disable any programs from booting at start up, all theoes little programs that run in the background eat up what few resources you have. Next right click on my computer, click properties, then advanced, then performance. set this to maximum performance, this will turn off all the visual effects in windows. Now to get drastic.... go to http://www.blackviper.com and then open up your services control pannel. Turn off everything that is not essential to keep windows runing, you should when your done get to around 20 services or less that stay on. And my last suggestion, uninstall your anti-virus software unless you are using AVG or AntiVir, they are both free and use far fewer resources than Norton for example.

Hope this helps alittle, and good luck.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

hah

Post by DeusEx »

sid jsut buy a comp like mine :). Or like whoever said: get a job lol.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

doesn't that mean you need an upgrade?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah man, look at the system in my sig.......I have a 60GB HDD and 192 MB of RAM, and it runs like a 400 year-old lady....and not one of those ladies in Mortal Kombat either, roflmao :rolleyes: ........XP in general craves resources for all the crap that runs.....everything from automated driver installation for PnP devices to the tools for portable devices and even the built-in CD-burning program, they all like resources for sure. a 4 GB HDD is barely enough to hold the base XP OS (recommended like 1 GB of HDD space), and 128 MB of RAM is bare minimum for XP (128 required, 256 recommended I believe). Oh yeah, and forget about running Windows Media Player, I can barely run it by itself with my system, it sucks for sure. Personally, if you want a really, really cheap build and don't have the need for "future-proofing" on that machine, then you could always go with a socket 754 mobo and an AMD Sempron processor, some PC3200 DDR RAM (value or low-end performance RAM, your choice, at least 512MB though, would recommend 1 GB because you can do a bit more, even with a value system), a decent IDE HDD, a decent case with power supply, a DVD burner, and a DVD-ROM drive. You can build a system for pretty cheap, and even then you can build a socket 939 system for pretty cheap if you look around for decent prices (would recommend socket 939 for "future-proofing" as these boards will last a little while longer, at least another year or so at least I would believe). There's a good deal of choices for sure considering how the prices of hardware has come down in the past couple of years.....Definitely a good time to build a system, and I believe prices will be low on most decent hardware for quite awhile, you just have to know how the prices cycle.....as in, don't buy the newest hardware out there if it has just come out recently, within a month or two, because prices will drop on hardware like that overtime.

Anyways, I talk too much, lol....just look around for prices on hardware if you decide you want to build a new system. If you're just looking to upgrade the OS and nothing more, then yeah Windows 2000 is the best you'll be able to do, because it doesn't have all the fancy looks and bells and whistles like XP.....you would be better off with Windows 2k if you don't want to put out money to build a system.
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

i did the "msconfig" **** and it help lower the proceeses from 40 something to like 12 but i was not able to run any programs like microsoft word of anything else i need help...oh yea i have an intel processor ||.. :axe:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

You really need to add more memory if possible. I think the min recommended memory amount to run XP is 256MB.
Joe
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

yea i know man but my computer came with like 64mb of ram and i added another 64mb thats how i have 128 ram... yo my brother is stupid because he put windows xp and the Microsoft Office xp with front page and that **** takes half my hard drive memory and i only have 4gb to begin with i need help... :( :( :rolleyes: :axe:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Please watch the language.

What OS was originally on the machine? Can you reinstall that? If not, there's not a whole lot of options short of harware upgrades. XP is a beast.
Joe
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

you should definitelly install win2000 on that rig. it will take up less HDD space and is uber stable. you need at least 256MB mem. for XP anyway so forget running XP on that. get the win2000 and add at least 128MB mem (the more the better (you can get cheap used mem. in used computer parts stores- just make sure it's compatible with your motherboard and the other memory you allready have). you do this and will not recognize your computer performancewise :finga:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

i dont know what os was on there because my bro is a fruit cup, i think it was windows 98 but im not sure and i dont want windows xp anymore it might be a beast but it make my computer slower than a snail. oh yea wut other options do i have if any...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Linux ;)
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

any suggestions on how to get linux and its mem usage on the hard drive and other stuff...oh yea one more thing what is the best type of antivirus software for my current computer because i uninstalled norton system works 2005 which my friend says uses too much memory and i need an antivirus software that could protect my computer and use less memory to run and less memory usage for the hard drive...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Infinite mentioned them earlier "AVG or AntiVir"
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

what about avast is that a good antivirus software.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I use it....It cool....except I think they are stopping the free version soon.....

AVG is good, I use it on my other pc.....

AVG will use less resources (memory etc.) than Avast....
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

ppl i have downgraded the version of microsoft office from xp to 2003 and now it is less slower than before but the computer is still slow when strarting up and shutting down and i need help. i downloaded a program call memboost pro and it helped a liitle to boost my RAM a little bit but it still slow again. any suggestions on what to do. :lol:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I'm sorry bro, unfortunately I think the only solution at this point is some new hardware - maybe going to Linux would help since the sytem demands are less. Stick around, there are giveaways all the time! Tell a friend, bring a neighbor.
Joe
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah dude, and in the upcoming months, the stuff being given away looks like it's promising, so I would hang around, you're pretty much part of the family now you're a member and all :)