Question

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Question

Post by Wolfgang70 »

If I update my mobo and processor, what do I need to do to my HD? Do I need to reformat it? Or will the system boot up regardless? Sorry for the newb questions but I've finally gotten fed up with my current system. Unfortunately, I have a very limited budget to upgrade ($300). I'll have another $300 in about 6 months but I can't wait that long.

Currently:
PIII - 1ghz
Crap board
MSI TI4200 64meg (I'll OC it once I get the new board)
768 of PC133
40gig HD
DVD/CDRW

Priority #1 is new mobo and processor which brings along new RAM which will blow that initial $300. Any recommendations?
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I'm not sure if you have to reformat, but you'll definitely need to reinstall Windows. As the motherboard chipset and most likely the CPU type will be changed, Windows needs a new HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to operate.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

a reformat isnt crucial but is highly recommended you never know what stray files can cause!

A windows re-install however is compulsory, the system wont boot because the system drivers are different, and as Kalmark said, the HAL needs to be reconfigured.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

A fresh install at a minimum.......better to do a complete format if you haven't done one in a while...........you'd be suprized how much better your system works with a totally clean install.........gets rid of all that spyware, adware and all those little nasties that get hidden away on your HD.......... :shock:

As for what you can get for $300, Here's what I would do...... 8)
Abit NF7-S Rev 2, @ Newegg.com @ $89 Free shipping.
AMD 2500 XP-M @ Newegg.com @ $88 Free shipping
Kingmax PC3200 Super Ram, 2x256 meg @ Newegg.com @ $51 EA. Free shipping

Total Price: $279 and you have a pretty good system........ 8)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 166&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 002&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 401&depa=0
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, there's nothing on there that can't be saved to CD.

Bio,

Does the 2500+ M come with a heatsink and so forth or do I need to get that? If so, what do you suggest?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

No, it doesn't come with a HSF, it's OEM. I'll have to look around for what they have..........I'd go with something that has at least a copper base and a 80mm fan.......Let me see what they have...... :D
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

This is 1 that I really like for the price........all you need after that is a 80mm fan.......... 8)

Thermalright ALX-800 @ newegg.com @ $19.99 Free shipping

Thermaltake Smart II @ Newegg.com @ $8.99 $4 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 111&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 115&depa=0
Last edited by Bio-Hazard on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

Don't forget to install a fresh AV software and preferably a firewall BEFORE you go on the web with a new Windows install! You'll get infected at that very second (or so) by Blaster and friends.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Thanks guys. I still have a little time before I make my purchase but at least I now have an idea of what I need.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Ah, just a quick update. I have a friend offer to sell me his old mobo/processor/RAM/Graphics card for $300 which fits perfectly with my budget. He's upgrading to a FX-53 rig with an X800XT so he's selling me his Asus P4P800-Deluxe/P4 2.8C/1gig PC4200/9800XT. Here's my question, if I throw in another HD can I install my OS (still ME though that will change in another 4-5 months) onto it, have the mobo boot from it, and then copy all of my existing data from my current HD? Or even have the old one as a storage drive even though it has a copy of Windows on it? I want to keep all of the data on my current HD without have to burn a bunch of CDs. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I think you can keep the old HDD, it's way easier. And as long as it is not set to boot, it will not do that. And, if you are completely sure that you don't want to run windows from that old HDD, you can delete the c:\windows folder so you have more space for data. And I guess there would be somewhere a swapfile, too, maybe with the extension "386" (?) - not sure about that, win9x/me times were a long ago for me. You can delete this swap file too.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Wolfgang70 wrote:Ah, just a quick update. I have a friend offer to sell me his old mobo/processor/RAM/Graphics card for $300 which fits perfectly with my budget. He's upgrading to a FX-53 rig with an X800XT so he's selling me his Asus P4P800-Deluxe/P4 2.8C/1gig PC4200/9800XT. Here's my question, if I throw in another HD can I install my OS (still ME though that will change in another 4-5 months) onto it, have the mobo boot from it, and then copy all of my existing data from my current HD? Or even have the old one as a storage drive even though it has a copy of Windows on it? I want to keep all of the data on my current HD without have to burn a bunch of CDs. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
wow for $300 that is a great deal. That's worth over $500+