I need to replace my 13" TV

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need to replace my 13" TV

Post by Apoptosis »

Okay I've put up with my 13" TV on top of a 5 gallon paint can for the past couple weeks. I'm looking for a new HDTV to fill up the rest of the credit card so I am really in debt.

Any suggestions for a 42-56" TV that is at a great price?

I was thinking i wanted something with 1080i and am open to DLP TV's.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

No price range? :lol:

Well then... how about one of these LCD thingies?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824187059

If you're just looking for a dirt cheap 1080i TV though, as much as I hate to link to them... BestBuy has one for a little over $1300.

Edit: Nevermind the Samsung DLP, it wasn't 1080i. :P

Of course, for something so expensive, it'd probably be best if you chose for yourself:
HDTV LCD Projection TVs
HDTV Flat-Panel LCD TVs
HDTV DLP Projection TVs

Amazon links combined
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Samsung makes some nice reasonably priced DLP's. The good thing about DLP's is that there is no screen burn in so game away. Also, almost all non-HD programming is not widescreen so you have to have the bars (Unless you like the distorted stretched picture :roll: ) and these can cause screen burn as well.
Here are a few sites to check out:
http://www.dlptvreview.com/
http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/hdtv-buyers-guide.html
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I haven't a clue wich TV is best......

BUT all I can say is, pay as much as you can for quality instead of quantity.....you'll appreciate it come super bowl ;)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

the brother inlaw has a nice one, think is was a samsung... even plays farcry on it from time to time. it has a vga port on the back and windows sees it as a monitor. think he paid some where around 3g's for it. worth every penny if you ask me... think I have image he posted over at warfactory of it just after he got it.....yep here it is

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Man thats hot, and i thought my 24" was nice looking with farcry.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

That looks like my TV!
Joe
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i just about crapped my pants when i saw that picture!!!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

holy s**t!!! man you guys have money to blow!!! very nice TV dude....I want one, and all I have to watch right now is an old-ass 19" Magnavox, oy, what total crap!! :rolleyes:
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny. :P
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Kerii wrote:Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny. :P
mmmmm.......free beer...naaaaaaaaaaaaa, roflmao :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

killswitch83 wrote:holy s**t!!! man you guys have money to blow!!! very nice TV dude....I want one, and all I have to watch right now is an old-ass 19" Magnavox, oy, what total crap!! :rolleyes:
I WISH that tv was mine, its the brother-in-laws, that thing wouldnt even come close to fitting in my livingroom. I have a lovely 27" magnazox that doesn't even have RCA hook up on the back.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, the 19" I have is like that too, lol.....I wouldn't mind giving a Hitachi or Mitsubishi HDTV a chance......but in the LCD category, it would be Samsung, because they have some nice LCD computer monitors for sure!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Is this a really good deal? http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=3829

It's a samsung and my local Best Buy has just the TV for $3500 plus tax and no remote or stand...plus tax...
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Let's put it this way: if you buy from Best Buy, you run the risk of buying a product that has been improperly handled, a factory second (which I know this because I've run into this working there, found a service tag on a supposedly brand-new PC one time), or even in the rarest of cases a DOA unit (this usually happens due to poor handling in the warehouse, know this one first-hand as well).....as for TigerDirect, I really don't know how their service is, but I've not heard any complaints, and for around a $900 savings, not to mention being able to avoid the cracked-out salesmen who try to push the service plans on you (I know this one too, rofl, man I know too much about this......) it's worth considering a first choice, unless you find it for less from a more reputable vendor. So to answer your question, stay away from the Big Blue Whore the same way you would stay away from them for computer components (they like to f**k you 8 ways from Sunday on prices on computer components and packages IMO).
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

If you're really set on that one, you can get it cheaper here, here, or here: http://www.priceritephoto.com/PriceRite ... SSHLR5688W

That last link that doesn't work with the url tag has them for $2,429.00.

As for the "stand" I think that's actually part of the unit and not separate. The specs clearly state the dimensions as 58.7" x 58.4" x 15.3" and there's no way that could be possible without that bottom part. Geez, those BestBuy guys must've really man-handled that display unit. :lol:

"Oh crap, we busted the pedestal! What do we do?! What do we do?!"

"I got an idea! We can break off the rest of it and sand the bottom till its smooth and then sell it as a barebones unit!"

"Brilliant!"

Just kidding of course. :P

But that's an outrageous markup for a unit without a stand, and no remote?! What kind of BS is that?!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

That looks like a nice system. I haven't priced these things lately but I think I paid ~$3500 a few years ago for my 50" and that was with a big discount at the time through my builder.
Joe
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Still looking?

w00t's got new 61" InFocus DLPs for $2500 + $5 shipping.
And you get a free blender too.

Or you can interpret it as a $2500 blender with a free HDTV. :lol:

http://www.woot.com

Really sucks that they only sell one item a day and don't allow orders on past items though, $2500 is way too much for an impulse buy. :?
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

Nice Saumsung DLP, shame for the small satellite speakers, that TV deserves more!.