Selling laptop on eBay, any suggestions?

A place to talk about all things mobile
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Selling laptop on eBay, any suggestions?

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Hey guys, I bought a laptop on eBay about 2 weeks ago, right before my mom gave me her old one for free. So now I'm thinking of selling it back, but since I never had experience selling on eBay (only buying), I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to go about the whole selling thing. The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2575US (2.66 GHz Pentium 4, 75GB HD, 512MB RAM, 1400x1050 15" Monitor, Integrated 802.11b/g, DVD/CD-RW combo(not DVD-RW)). All I want is to get back the money I spent on it ($650-$700), not trying to make any profit. So I was wondering on how to go about listing it on eBay, because I know that if I use Buy-It-Now or start with $650, I will pay $50 to eBay in fees even if no one buys it (which is another thing I'm afraid of), but if I start with $0.99, I don't want some lucky bastard to buy it for $2 from me. So I wanted some advice from someone who already sold items on eBay before on what to write in description to make my item more attractive to the buyers, and also wanted to know on whether it's safe to expect the price to go up to $650 if I list it for $0.99. Was also wondering on what happens if no one buys it or if the winning bidder backs out of the deal or refuses to pay. Thanks.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

See if you can get DragonCooler's GF on here again, she sells alot on ebay :) or just PM her direct her member name is Dragon_Slayer
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

ill talk to her for you!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Thanks, was also wondering what kinds of payments are ok to work with. I can take PayPal for sure, but don't trust money orders and checks as much.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

man money orders are awsome, make sure they are from the post office, you just go down there with it they hand you cash! and you ship at the same time... at least thats how i have always doen it.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

From experience, I've tried selling 2 laptops on eBay in the last 3 months and the only bids and responses I get are from Phishers or Scammers. They all want you to send the item to Nigeria or Asia or ask to pay you via an unreliable source.
I've had NOT 1 legitimate question or bidder on eBay for my laptops. I finally bit the bullet and sold one of them to a family member for way less than I was hoping to get for it on eBay. The other I'm still using and trying to find a local buyer.

Do NOT give out your address to the people that ask you to ship it out of the country and list in your auction that you will only ship to US / Canada, or your home country. They will offer you $2000.00 US or more to ship it to Nigeria, but you'll soon find that 10 or more people all, ironically, want you to ship it to the same place. Any common sense will tell you this is a SCAM. In fact, many of the buyers eBay accounts will be shut down before you can reply to their questions.

I'd avoid listing it on eBay if at all possible. eBay has been awful to work with in getting Final Value Fees returned and my suggestion would be to find a local buyer (college, co-worker, family, or friend).
Stormtrooper TK421
Dragon_Slayer
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dragon_Slayer »

OK...ebay isnt that hard to sell on...if you know the ropes..My co-workers and I have sold over 5,000 items with 99% positive feedback. You can block out newbs or poeple with neg feedback from bidding on your item. We ship all around the world everyday. I could list it for you, but i would need all the info on it and some awsome pics (send lots, wont cost anything for pics). I will have to charge a listing fee,a selling fee, and my time and effort fee :lol: (poor college student.) lol. If per chance it doesnt sell we get the listing final value fees back and or relist it.
I spend alot of time researching item costs and how that particular laptop has sold in the past to decide on the listing price. Ive have listed items that never sell and have sold them, because of my excellent ebay skills. I know how to play the game. lol. :)
So please give me ALL details & lots of pics from every angle, and i will be happy to sell it for you!
[email protected]

I use paypal, checks(must clear before ship), & money orders.
I have a UPS truck that picks pkgs up everyday (cheaper)
I also click"n"ship with USPS or go to post office for international shippments.
I have a chart on my listing that gives price qoutes to different countries and states.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Dragon_Slayer wrote:OK...ebay isnt that hard to sell on...if you know the ropes..My co-workers and I have sold over 5,000 items with 99% positive feedback. You can block out newbs or poeple with neg feedback from bidding on your item. We ship all around the world everyday. I could list it for you, but i would need all the info on it and some awsome pics (send lots, wont cost anything for pics). I will have to charge a listing fee,a selling fee, and my time and effort fee :lol: (poor college student.) lol. If per chance it doesnt sell we get the listing final value fees back and or relist it.
I spend alot of time researching item costs and how that particular laptop has sold in the past to decide on the listing price. Ive have listed items that never sell and have sold them, because of my excellent ebay skills. I know how to play the game. lol. :)
So please give me ALL details & lots of pics from every angle, and i will be happy to sell it for you!
[email protected]

I use paypal, checks(must clear before ship), & money orders.
I have a UPS truck that picks pkgs up everyday (cheaper)
I also click"n"ship with USPS or go to post office for international shippments.
I have a chart on my listing that gives price qoutes to different countries and states.
thats my gurl. LOL
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Thanks, I would agree to that but the only problem is that I thought that DragonCooler forgot about this thread and already listed the item on ebay myself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1 . Hopefully it sells for the price I want, in either case it will be a valuable experience for me. Thanks once again, and sorry that I couldn't use your services.
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

Okay, so I'm a fairly new eBay user, how do you keep users with low feedback or none at all from bidding on your item? I've had no luck and searched high and low to find out how to limit them. Do you need to have 'x' number of feedback to do that?
Stormtrooper TK421
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Kristin says, you do need to have an "x" number of feedback plus a premium type account. Its not a standard e-bay account which costs extra.
Dragon_Slayer
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dragon_Slayer »

It would have cost less if you let me sell your laptop to list it, because we get benifits being an ebay power seller plus having a premium account.
5309 positive feedback 99.9%
3yrs of selling on ebay.
if anyone needs anything sold, message me!!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Yeah, but once I list it I can't take it off, and I was kinda pressed for time to sell it. Next time I'll definatelly contact you, I sold my laptop, but paid $20 in fees to eBay, $20 to PayPal, and $20 to the post office. Nonetheless, I sold it for $60 more than I expected, so I didn't lose any money.

Also, TK421, I have a rating of 9 (even though I bought much more than that, just didn't get many people leaving feedback), and don't think I have a premium account, but I was still allowed to choose what rating people need to be allowed to bid on my item (I choose anyone with 0 or higher), so I don't understand why you weren't allowed to choose it.
blue
Legit User
Legit User

Post by blue »

R3N3G4D3 wrote:Also, TK421, I have a rating of 9 (even though I bought much more than that, just didn't get many people leaving feedback), and don't think I have a premium account, but I was still allowed to choose what rating people need to be allowed to bid on my item (I choose anyone with 0 or higher), so I don't understand why you weren't allowed to choose it.
Yeah, that is a standard feature, so he must have just missed it.
moosetracker
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Selling laptop on eBay, any suggestions?

Post by moosetracker »

Just be careful. It is easy to get scammed on eBay. I sold a laptop 5 years ago on eBay with no problems, but the last one I sold about 6 months ago had a chargeback filed from PayPal after nearly 45 days from when I shipped it. Unfortunately PayPal took the money out of my account automatically. This was after attempting to sell the laptop for the 3rd time due to non-paying bidders and other scammers. Needless to say I would recommend an alternative...Jay Brokers, http://www.jaybrokers.com . I had considered them before selling my laptop on my own, but I though I would sell it myself to get more. Jay Brokers offered me about $150 less than what I thought I could sell it for on eBay, but at this point $450 would have been better than nothing! You might check them out at least and see what they'd offer for your laptop. They seem like a really decent company.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Selling laptop on eBay, any suggestions?

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think its a bit late to warn him, look at the original post date!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)