wireless speed

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

wireless speed

Post by DeusEx »

i can only get 54 mbps out of my wireless speed. when i play counterstrike source, it sometimes drops below that 54 and i get major lag. i thought the wireless connection was supposed to be 100 mbps ? no?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The "802.11b" standard runs @ 54Mbits.......some routers can run @ 108Mbits........your wifi connection is to your DSL router? Normally if the WiFi connection is ~2-3 times faster than the dsl connection, then latencies (ping times) shouldn't be affected!
What WiFi adaptor are you using?
If it's a USB adaptor, it could be software based...so when your gaming (using alot of cpu time), it could add to the prob......

Check if there is a new driver out!
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yep, the 802.11b standard only runs at 54 Mbps, whereas 802.11g runs at 108 Mbps.....you might want to make sure you have "wireless-g" equipment, if not then that's the highest you're gonna be able to go, which is why I like wired connections for gaming online.......more stability because it relies more on TCP (connection-oriented protocol) than IP (connectionless protocol).....I think there's more IP involvement with wireless anyways, if I can rememeber correctly. go G if you want the higher speeds :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Actually we got it wrong killswitch.....802.11b is 11Mbits and 802.11g is 54Mbits

Linksys uses "Speedbooster" others have different names, where they can run @ ~100Mbit, not sure how, mayby something like dual channel with 2 antenae?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

ohhhh yeah, I just remembered now.......I forget then, lol......802.11ab was in the back of my head, but I think that's the standard for wired 1000BaseT.....still I know there's a standard for 108 Mbps, forgot which one exactly though, lol......see what happens when I'm without Cisco for too long, lol :rolleyes:

edit: 802.11ab is actually a wireless standard, forgot again and had to look, lol
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I think it's 802.11n --> not sure if it's official yet?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hmmm, there's hardware out for 108 Mbps connectivity....here's a list on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... t=Property

802.11 b/g compatible for the most part.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

ok

Post by DeusEx »

so guys it appears my computer has conection of 54mbps. but i also have the linksys router with speedbooster. how could i activate the speedbooster to increase my connection speed ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sorry when I said it was official yet I didn't mean you can't get it now....all the manufacturers have some version of 108Mbit WiFi.....

kinda hijacking your thread here DeusEx sorry......
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

not sure if on your router it's a hardware switch or if it's software-arbitrated....you might want to consult the documentation concerning that one.....the way it works is that those types of routers have 2 antennas for parallel bandwidths which totals around 100 Mbps....I think it uses 1 of em by default, which is why I say to consult the documentation because it should have something in there about activating the other antenna. Sorry I can't be of any more help on this one, I just don't work with wireless too much, I do work with Cisco hardware though, and Linksys is a Cisco-acquired company, so I figured that to be the issue here. If nothing else Linksys's site should have more on SpeedBooster.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ok

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx wrote:so guys it appears my computer has conection of 54mbps. but i also have the linksys router with speedbooster. how could i activate the speedbooster to increase my connection speed ?
What type/make of WiFi adaptor are you using on the PC?
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

i have the wrt54gs linksys router (with speedbooster). I have a wireless card (a/b/g) in the laptop. I have the 10/100/1000 mbps network card in the desktop. My modem is motorola surfboard sb4100 (cable modem).

my question is, can i get more than the 54 mbps on the laptop ? i mean the router says it has a speedbooster and it is a different model than the regular wrt54g model. whats the point of having the speedbooster if it doesnt boost anything ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I'm afraid no....your laptop can "only" run @ 54Mbit max......the Linsys can transmit data upto 108Mbit....but the laptop can "only" recieve @ 54Mbit.....

That speed should be fine if your getting a good signal (are you?)

Have you tried updating the Wifi drivers on the laptop?

make sure you haven't got anything else running that could be using the connection....

:this may stop you connecting to other wifi connections: (unless you change settings back)

You can try specifing an IP address/subnet etc.
Try this after all of the above

Goto the properties of the wifi connection, then selecy "internet protocol" click properties....set to "use the following IP address" then enter the IP Address as "192.168.1.1" then click into "subnet mask" -> It will fill-in itself...in the gateway box type "192.168.1.1" -> click OK

Or

It could be the inbuilt firewall on the router or NAT that could be the prob....can get to that later if need be......
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

let me tell u something, the only thing that linksys can do is shut the hell up. my bro talked to the retarded represantative from linksys which informed me tha the reason why im not using the speedbooster is cause my wireless card in the laptop is not letting me... well guess friggin what ? NOWHERE on the box of the router does it say that i needed a special wireless card for speedbooster. what bs is that ? i got a router with a speedbooster, an extra 20$ that doesnt do anything. and oh yeah speedbooster allows for 30% increase in speed which translates to 70mbps from 54 mbs correct? ill see if i can sell the linksys and just buy another router instead. never again am i buying from linksys. the signal strenght is usually 5 bars but sometimes drops to 4 (WTF im right in the next room, the door is open). sigh. ill try to ebay the router for like $50 and just buy one with 108 mbps.

54mbps would be plenty enough if it wasnt for the fact that it drops below that speed like every minute or two. i got a powerful laptop so i could play games and now i cant cause of the internet conection.

The easu one button push setup so highly advertised, didnt really owrk with my computer, i dont know why, something unique about it. me and my bro had t stay up to 2 am to talk to a representative who actually understood what he was doing.

when u read this message in the beginning, u might have seen that i called the linksys representative retarded. this is not in blind anger, once my bro gets back ill post the whole conversation so u guys can see what i meant.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DeusEx if you buy another router your laptop will only still connect @ upto 54Mbit....even if you get a 108Mps router!!!!!!
The laptop has a 54Mbps card, so the router drops speed accordingly...the slower part (the laptop) dictates the speed...
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

any recommendations for a new wireless card ?

and can i take out my old wireless card and sell it on ebay, will it work for other people if they install it, considering its been installed once ?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

yeah it will work, really though i dont know what this would accomplish, you would have to get a card that matches your router, IE dlink router dlink card both with the speed doubleing freature. Is the 54mbs really a limmitation for you? because thats quite fast.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

i dont know how to put this but 54 mbps DOESNT CUT IT. if it was 54 mbps constantly without fluctations i wouldnt mind but i hate it when i play games online i start to lag and stuff, usually when its most critical not to.

so ur saying that if i get a d link wireless card that is capable of 108mbps, i would have to get a d link router with 108 mbps?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

That's it exactly....Although I'd stay away from D-Link.... (I came accross waay to many probs with them)

Do you still have the Linksys router? If so get a PCMCIA card from Linksys with speedbooster support....Sell the internal card to pay for the new one....

see here
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

speedbooster only grants a 30% increase, which from 54 mbps makes it go up to around 70.2 mbps MAX. i want to get 108 mbps. ill sell my router and wireless card, but i got no clue what i should get in order t achieve 108mbps