BlownCPU?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

BlownCPU?

Post by Merlin »

Well I think my fist foray into the world of overclocking my have yielded my first casualty. I don't know how to tell for sure but I think I fried my CPU. I know I didn't overheat it because it was running at 36'C one second the I changed the Bus ratio from by H/W or whatever it was to 13 with the fsb at 195. I saved to cmos and bam. All I get is beeps. The d-bracket that came with my M board has some leds that help troubleshoot and it said dammaged or improppersly installed cpu. I switched back to my old XP1900 so I know the m board isn't blown too. How can I know for sure? and what are the chances I can get it replaced under waranty?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Just try reseting your bios before you freek out. its unlikly that the cpu fried unless you forgot to plug the fan in or you did not apply thermal compound to the heatsink. i would like i said reset the biose and replace the 2800 make sure you have the right amout of thermal compound on it and try starting it up again. also only add one componant at a time its possible that you bumped the ram or video card while doing your install and now they are causing the system not to post.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I did reset the bios and I also changed the cpu speed jumper to safe mode(100MHZ). I will try to re-install the 2800 tomarrow but I feel pretty sure its a dead dog. I have had the CPU installed and working for several months. I haven't removed it. All I did today was install my new memory and start playing with OCing, Then BAM. It wasn't no posting like usual, just nothing happening, it was peeping some code at me .
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

It is hard for me to believe you blew the cpu. Do you see any bent or missing pins? Are there any scorch marks on the the bottom of the CPU? After resetting the BIOS, you need to go through all the BIOS settings, sometimes the default settings aren't compatible with the hardware you have. I have had that problem numerous times after tinkering with stuff. I have had the assorted shorted out boards, bad PSUs, bad BIOS, etc. take your time, walk yourself through all the BIOS settings, Pull EVERYTHING out of the case and reinstall it, take your time, it is hopefully something very simple and silly that you'll be kicking yourself for later today.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

No there are no scortch marks on the bottom but the top looks a little funny. You know how the waffers are sort of a matte finish? well there is a part of mine that is glossy. I don't know if its always been like that or not. I don't know how you expect me to go through all the bios settings when it won't boot at all. I turn on the PC and I get no post beep but a few seconds later it starts to beep a code at me but it will not power up enough to go into BIOS. I have booted this CPU up with all the Bios settings on default several times and it works fine. If someone could tell me how to post pics I could take some pictures for you to look at.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I can uninstall all hardware and reinstall it but I think that won't help because I have made no hardware changes( other than new RAM0 in the last two months. I hadn't made any when this problem happened. I had every thing working and I ran a SANDRA mem bandwidth and a CPU multimedia. I then restarted into the BIOS and chaged the FSB clock multiplier to 13. I saved to cmos restated and BAM.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

You never know when your working inside of you computer. things get bumped and the best way to find out whats wrong is to start one componant at a time. put the cpu in see what error codes it gives, then add the ram, then add the video card, the the hd .....

that will help you find where the problem is
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

where can I find a listing of the error codes to help isolate the problem?
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

In your mobo's manual, maybe? :)
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

just a quick update. I don't know for sure yet if my CPU is blown or not but I know it blew my BIOS chip on the MOBO so I bit the bullet and got a ABIT an7. More later gotta go.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I got the AN7 because of the uGURU feature which I know most of you say a real OCer wouldn't use but as I have proven (at a cost of about $225.00) I am not a real OCer,yet, I figure that the uGuru feature will make it much less expensive for me to continue learning about OCing. My plan is to wait until MSI sends me my replacement BIOS chip and then I will re-try my possibly blown CPU on my old MOBO first. If it works then I'll put it on my new board. I gladly accept any ideas you guys might have. I was also wondering if there is anywhere that tests CPUs. I was dumb when I bought it and I got the OEM ( no warrantee from AMD) so I can't even send it to them to have them tell me I blew it. For now I got this new rockin memory (1gig XMS 3200c2pt) and a lame XP1900.