ASUS Z71V Notebook Vendor/Retailer Finder Thread

A place to talk about all things mobile
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASUS Z71V Notebook Vendor/Retailer Finder Thread

Post by Apoptosis »

Trying to find a place to purchase the ASUS Z71V and can't find an e-tailor? We complied a list that has some stores that carry the Z71V online. Pricing and shipping varies widely between the stores. Here are some stores that carry the ASUS Z71V Notebook Chassis:

APR Computers - $714 + Shipping
AxentMicro - $734 + shipping
Adamant Computers - $761 + Shipping
ActBuy -$724 w/ Free Shipping
PC Connection - $789 w/ Free Shipping
DreamHardware - $768 +shipping
ABS Computer Technologies - $775 shipped
Computer Brain - $780 + shipping
eWiz - $821 Shipped

Stores Not To Buy From:
govconnection
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

you are too good to us Nate. Good finds :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

If you can find someone with an Amax acct they have some really killer deals on Asus laptops.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hmmm, really? might have to look into that once the ol desktop is built. this is why I really like this forum community: you all just have such good finds that not many know about. Will definitely check into it after all is said and done 8)

Post by Guest »

I can say I've ordered from ActBuy.com before and had no problems whatsoever. They had a great price and good shipping :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Anonymous wrote:I can say I've ordered from ActBuy.com before and had no problems whatsoever. They had a great price and good shipping :)
WOOOPS ^^^That was me :mrgreen:
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Please help, compatibility questions

Post by DeusEx »

hi im new to these forums. i had decided to build the notebook myself, and even chose to use the z71v model as my base, so imagine how happy i was to come across this site. i decided to follow most of what was listed as recomended parts but i would like to change a couple of things.

1) can i use a different hard drive than the one listed ? i would prefer to go with hitachi 80gb 7200 rpm. it has interface of ata-6. Please help i dont have much time, im ordering everything this saturday, and i need to know that if i put this in my laptop, will it work? also would instalation be any different? Link for more specs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... etailSpecs

2) i would prefer to get 2gb on my notebook instead of what is listed. i was going to use corsair 2 x 1gb chips for my computer.

3) what kind of router should i get? i have cable at home.

thanks in advance, you guys are great, finally meet some people who can think outside of the box.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 80 GB Hard Drive will work just fine in the ASUS Z71V notebook. Just keep in mind that it can be heard since it is 7200RPM's! (Currently priced at $169.50 shipped)

The module you linked above is for a desktop computer and not a notebook, so it wont work. In terms of memory here are some of your choices. Just buy two of each, so you will run in dual channel mode.

Kingston 1GB Module: $83.49
Corsair 1GB Module: $86.83
OCZ Technology 1GB module with a rebate: $82.27

In terms of routers i've had several and none were better than the others. I hope this helps you out a bit more than before. I removed the memory link in the above post so others wouldn't get confused.

Welcome to the forums and let us know what you build!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

memory

Post by DeusEx »

so the memory cards that i was looking at were in fact for desktops ?

Another thing: do your z71v's get hot ? i found a website in regards of helping cool it to maximize performance.

overclockers.com/tips1210/
Last edited by DeusEx on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yes, the ASUS Z71V uses a 200-pin SO-DIMM Memory module like the ones I linked above.

I would never do what they did in that article... it is silly and pointless...

You should read all of these threads:

ASUS Z71 Thermal Pad Removal To Reduce Temperatures
ASUS Z71V Geforce 6600 Go Overclocking Guide
ASUS Z71V Temperature Monitoring Utilities & Programs
ASUS Z71V Undervolting Guide
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I second that!! Those threads are detailed and are much more helpful...IMHO, info on notebooks here pretty much trumps the competition from what I've been looking at....btw Deus, did I forget to mention Apop is, for all intensive purposes, the resident lappie guru here? Well, now you know, lol :)
nForcer227
Legit User
Legit User

Post by nForcer227 »

sweet nate, thx...i am currently looking for notebook chassis to build my own laptop for school.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

act buy

Post by DeusEx »

i gave actbuy.com my email so they would notify me once the get the z71v in stock a while ago. yesterday i got an email saying they have it in stock. i checked their site and it still says it is out of stock..whats going on ? do they have it or not ?
Laxergreg
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Hi

Post by Laxergreg »

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but you guys really seem to know what you're talking about.

I have an ABS G4, based on the Z71 chasis. I didn't like those stupid blue thermal pads, so I went though the entire 'figuring out AS5 isn't that good because there's too big of a gap' thing myself lol. Anyways, I think I may have ran some on components on the card and possibly shorted it out. All I get are horizontal lines acting randomly, but split down the middle. Sometimes it's nice enough to make colors :)

The reason I'm posting this here is because I just can't find a place to get a replacement video card! I just want another 6600 Go because I understand I can't ugrade (I'd take an upgrade in a second!). Anyways, if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it :). Thanks in advance.

Greg
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

take the card back out and clean everything up real good and put it back together making sure nothing got damaged the first time. One screw that falls into the case could be the end of a notebook, so look over it all real good. If you contact ASUS directly they should be able to order replacement video cards, but who knows on the pricing for something like that.
Laxergreg
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Laxergreg »

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunatly I came home from college, hooked it up to a real monitor and whatdaya know, it works. Looks like the only thing it could be is the cable from the video card to the monitor, because if I unplug it then it turns all white (meaning the backlight is fine...i think). I'm kinda in a pickle, but I might end up RMAing it and pray they don't take off the heatsink :P
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Did you RMA it?
Laxergreg
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Laxergreg »

Not yet, waiting for Leadtek to get back to me about a bios chip for my desktop. I couldn't take a week or two without a computer :-p.

So i'm gonna fix up my good ol 2500+ barton desktopy, then get to an RMA.
Laxergreg
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Laxergreg »

scratched the RMA idea.

Got a new video board from http://www.allasus.com the guy there was really helpful. Cost me $250 though :-\. I figured it'd be pretty steep though... most people dont' play with laptops.

Anyways, I'll let you know how everything works out when it gets here.
Laxergreg
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Laxergreg »

Got the new board, works like a charm. I'm still kinda boggled at how the lcd on the laptop would flicker for a while, but the dsub out to a monitor worked fine. I'm guessing maybe due to the lcd's digital sensitivity and dsub being analog, the crt i plugged in cared less about a messed up signal. Who knows... One thing I do know is that John Fierst from allasus.com pretty much kicked ass. He found me my part, made sure it was the right thing, and got it to me in a reasonable time for such a specific piece that I assume they normally don't stock. Anyways, I'm a happy panda now, and thanks for the advice!