which linux has the cube windows?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
KnightRid

which linux has the cube windows?

Post by KnightRid »

Hi, I saw that article about one of the Linux Distros having the graphical environment that you can have your windows on a cube, or when you move the windows you can have them "wobble". I was wondering if anyone knew which Distro has this in it, if any.

If not, does anyone know where to grab it to install it in a different distro?

Thanx
Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Not sure what your talking about???

Try distrowatch.com.......

Did you cacth the same of the software that makes this happen?

I'd checkout:
Mandravia "cooker" (beta version)
SuSe -> beta
Yoper
Gentoo -> difficult to install

These are the 4 main distros which introduce new and wacky stuff in their betas.....suse was first to introduce XEN in their distro (It's like vmware, but way better)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

XGL

by Novell

Novell Linux Desktop 10 seems to be the one the will have it...hmmm

http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/

still dont see an install though - seems like just the source code?

Mike

yes I am a Linux NEWBIE to the EXTREME!!! I still think Linux is too hard for the average person, but I have Ubuntu I am thinking of trying.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

You can use it on the Open source version of SuSe!!!!

http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl

download here
http://en.opensuse.org/Download
You may have to install it seperatly via YAST (yet another setup tool) -> the suse control panel -> just goto add/remove software.....

There is no differnece between the full version and the open source version....except real player and drivers....the open source version can't contain any copyright software!

I use SuSe --> super distro to use.....very easy to configure and loads of support available :)

You may have some probs with an ATI card, Their Linux drivers used to always suck......They have being getting better, but I haven't used Linux with a ATI card for months........
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Start Xgl as your main Xserver
In order to use Xgl, change the sysconfig variable

DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER
in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
to "Xgl"

, run SuSEconfig and restart your X session. You can add additional options for Xgl to DISPLAYMANAGER_XGL_OPTS, see /usr/share/doc/packages/xgl/README.SUSE for more information.

Caveat: If you are using an ATI graphics card, be sure to read the Troubleshooting section.

[edit]Use compiz as your window manager
Xgl works best with a composite manager. For some effects composite and window manager have to interact tightly, so they should actually be the same process. compiz is the first available combined window / composite manager that uses OpenGL. In order to use it run

compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place menu

It will replace your current window manager and load all plugins. You can also start with a minimal number of plugins by only specifying decoration move resize place menu. After startup you can use gconf-editor (sorry, no KDE configuration plugin yet) for editing the parameters of all plugins. More information about the plugins and their parameters will be presented on the compiz page.

For window decorations you will have to start a window decorator program. An experimental window decorator for gnome is included with compiz. To use it run gnome-window-decorator.

statement above is why Linux will never be as popular as windows...I went to college for programming, now that was back in 1988 era :), but damn...that confuses the hell outta me...what happened to install this package, and have it run..argh...I might mess with it sometime...but...it is doubtful. I would rather have my machines running f@h than messing around for hours or days tryingt oget this thing to run.

I appreciate the links, and will keep my eyes open for the novell desktop ( is that free? ) to see if the install is actually just an install - Ubuntu rules in that area it seems.

Mike

Partitions - I dont want no stinkin partitions ;) 4 massive drives, auto config everything...then linux will rule the world....make it so. :partyman:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

From what I can see, you only need to edit 2 files..."/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager" & "/etc/XOrg.config"

Novell desktop is not free...but you can download a demo (not sure if unlimited)

Ubuntu is easy to install, but to configure.... it's not so easy....It's based in GNU Debian...SuSe is just as easy to install.....

I'll check around to see if there's a distro which has it included already......but i doubt there is any.....It was made by guys @ Novell........
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Demo XGL Today With the Kororaa LiveCD!

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2799

Download here
http://getkororaa.com/

Supported GFX cards
http://getkororaa.com/releases/xgl/xgl-cards

I'm stuck with a crappy fx5200 for now.....so I'll have to wait to try this :(
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

you can also use it on Ubuntu
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi
this is the link to the video clip...

the only problem is that it looks like linux still (ugly).
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Who uses GUIs on Linux anyways?

Console = God.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

werd, i spend all my time in the CLI :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I've played with XGL on Ubuntu with my laptop that has a FX 5200.

I like it a lot, but with no Direct Rendering, I can't play videos while it is enabled, and when the 'Cube' is moving, the CPU util goes up to ~20%... which ain't too bad as long as you're not doing a CPU intensive task at the time.

But in the end, I've completely disabled it due to lack of direct rendering... I wonder if it will be supported with a later driver or version of XGL?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook