how hot can my chipset safely run?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
KnightRid

how hot can my chipset safely run?

Post by KnightRid »

Well I just noticed that my chipset fan has died :( my chipset temp is up at 69Celcius, about 159farenheit...is this safe? seems AWFUL high to me.

I am going to replace the fan, just have to find one locally first, or find a place that wont charge me $6 shipping for a $3 part :)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

pretty hot... Do you have an extra case fan? If you do I'd sit that on the video card to help cool it till you get a replacement.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

What board do you have?
Joe
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2 Revision 1.0

I have a fan in the side of the case, but I think I will take your advice Apop and sit a case fan on the vdeo card to blow directly on the chipset....I dont want to stop folding ;)

Mike

Most of the other MB's I have dont have chipset fans on them, the cheap bastards.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I'd try and keep it below 50C or even 55C

I'd do as Apop says, get a fan blowing on it.....
You could damage the chip if it hits ~70C for long periods....

get that replacement hsf ASAP!!!!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Here is a pic of the temps - what the heck is the REMOTE temp??
Chipset is down to 64C just by removing the side of the case - first case fan didnt work..lol...just my luck it seems

Mike

thanx for all the help!!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not sure what the remote temp is showing on that Gigabyte board as i've never used that one before.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TheGeekMistress »

the official nVidia specs for the chipset are a maximum junction gate temp of 90C. that being said, people have noticed thier overclocked stability decreased with the chipset temp at or over 60C. most users say that by keeping their chipset temps under 50C that it will keep your overclock stable, but it does not mean you'll get a better overclock. it's just for stability purposes.

most people use the Evercool chipset cooler. forgive me, i don't have the model number right off the top of my head. or you can just do it the ugly way and zip tieing an 80mm fan to your case somehow and have it blow right on the chipset fan. only problem with keeping the OEM chipset fan is, that it's a POS. it'll start whining at you after a while then stop completely.

if you'd like to find the evercool chipset cooler that everone uses, i'll go and dig the model number up for ya. :)

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well I found these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCo ... ategory=62

why dont they come with the tiny little MB connector though? hmm..I know I picked some up before for computers taht had the exact connector on them so I did not have to hook them to the power lines.

Heat have come down to 59celcius with the side off the case and a 80MM fan blowing directly on it..doesnt seem to be helping much. that darn REMOTE temp is still at 51celcius too..hmm..really wish I knew what that was.

I will be going locally tomorrow, only day the old ball and chain has off, to see if any of the local stores have anything. We really only have 1 place that carries a bunch of parts, and a couple places that carry a FEW parts.

Mike

are any of those above the model number your were talking about my Mistress :snakeman: woohoo

oh and I dont overclock - I have a nice Zalman fan on the cpu, but I just dont see the need to try and get 200mhz more...now 500mhz-1ghz more at stock cooling..I would overclock everything ;) Or maybe I am an idiot and just dont understand how to do it right..that could be also..lol
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

most of the peeps at the street use the Evercool VC-RE to cool thier chipset on thier nf4 SLI DFI mobos.

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.smcelectronics.com/fan.htm

2nd one down - do they look like a good one?

the evercool is too big to fit on my gigabyte MB because of the hsf I have on the cpu :(

that one above has 7cfm in a 2-pin connector, so it is really close the the evercool.

Mike

and NO - I havent replaced them yet :) - I still have the beefy 80mm fans blowing on both mb chipsets and the one gf4ti4200 video card - and I have 2 more case fans that died - I need stock in a fan company!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, well I got some nice 20mm chipset fans, but now I need to find screws. I have been searching locally, but the only thing that even comes close to looking like my small chipset fan screws ( 10mm ) are the sheet metal screws with the point on the end. I really dont want those! Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? All of the machine screws I have been looking at have tiny threads, while mine have the same threads as the sheet metal screws.

Want phillips heads also, or square drive, jost not plain slotted.

I have searched Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and True Value, and all have the same things..:(

size/type, etc would be appreciated.

Mike

Will the smaller threads on the machine screws turn into the heatsink ok?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Is there threads on the hsf???? normally it's just a bog standard hole drilled into the heatsink......

you culd buy longer screws and then grind them down (dremel or standard drill with a grinding bit).....just make sure to get matching nuts....

As long as the screw + nut isn't bigger than the space behind the motherboard your safe!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

There are no nuts, they just screw directly between fins on the heatsink....there are hold down plastic tab things to hold the heatsink on to the chip, but the fans are screwed direct into the heatsink - do threading or anything.

Most of the one I have had are like this, but I never tried to use 20mm high fans before...*sigh*

I need 100 screws - that is a lot of dremeling ;)

They have to have screws for the 20mm fans, I jsut cant find them :(

Mike
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

dunno if this will help any, but http://www.nexfan.com/casefans.html has fans down to 25mm and they may have screws or other things.

have you thought of velcro to stick your fans on? or small width zip ties?

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I did actually think of Velcro, but I would be afraid the heatsink would melt the backing :( zip ties would have nothing to hold on to.

I think I am going to just grab some #4 screws that are 1 or 1-1/4 inches long, and that should do it.

I will try the machine screws first and see if the tiny thread patterns will work.

Never thought a simple fan replacement could get so difficult :) and here i was going to take the heatsinks off and put some Arctic Silver 5 under them..LOL..I will have to think on that one REAL hard before i do it :)

Mike
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

do you have a thread and die kit?

that'll help me thinks imho

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)