Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.

Which cooling system provides the quietest operation while maintaining good cooling for non-OC'd Athlon MP's?

60%
Thermalright SK-7 (A) w/ Vantec 80mm Stealth Fan
No votes
Thermalright SK-7 (A) w/ higher CFM fan
No votes
Other
40%

Total votes: 5

cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Hi there, I enjoyed your article about the Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF ( http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/ttsb_1.shtml ) and was just wondering if you or anyone else knows if 2 of them will fit on a Tyan Tiger MPX dual AMD motherboard. It's hard to find coolers small enough to fit on this board, and I'd REALLY like to put something much more silent on there than the helicopter 7000rpm Volcano's I have on there now.

Right now it's between the Thermalright SK-7 (A) and the Thermaltake Silent Boost, I would prefer the latter since it's cheaper and an all-in-one-solution, so I don't have to guess what fan to use on the SK-7.

Thanks.
Curtis
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm using the TT silent boost on my current personal PC right now. I'm at 39 Degrees C while writing this reply and the fan on my Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb is louder than the silentboost.

Your Fan choices you mentioned for a Silent Rig are rated almost the same:

- Vantec Stealth Fan Model SF8025L
- 80x80x25mm
- 3pin connector
- 12V DC, 1.2W
- 2050RPM
- 27CFM
- 21dBA
- 2 ball bearing

- Thermaltake A1889
- 80x80x25mm
- 3pin connector
- 12V DC, 1.56W
- 2450±10% RPM
- 27.5 CFM
- 21dBA
- Hydro Wave Bearing

I believe the Thermalright SK7 is the best actual heatsink of the two, but like you stated the Silent Boost already comes with the matched fan that works well and silently.

If your on a tight budget the TT Silent Boost is cheaper and will get the job done.

If budget is not an option I'd go the SK7 with the Vantec Stealth fan

Either way I don't think you will make a mistake!

Hope this helps
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF

Post by cpriest »

Hi, thanks for the reply. My main concern is the tight fit on the Tyan Tiger MPX dual AMD board. Both the SK7 and Silentboost are around the same length, and the SK-7 is even a bit taller, but the the Silentboost seems to be wider which is my main concern. There are capacitors very close to both the CPU sockets, so I'm afraid the Silentboost won't quite fit.

Curtis
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Do you already have the motherboard? If you do I can get some angles and widths at certain heights for you if it would help you out.
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Yeah we've had it for a year and a half now running some 7000rpm Volcano's that literally sound like hair dryers on full tilt. Fortunately my business partner uses the computer at his house so I don't have to listen to it unless I'm working over there, but he never stops complaining about it so I figured since this new generation of HSU's are out, I'd try a couple and see if I can make the machine quiet enough to think around.

Curtis
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

when I take a close look at the motherboard (here) and a close look at the Silent Boost (here)... I don't think you will have a problem.

Don't know about the SK-7 though.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Yeah I think you might be right - I think I might risk it. I can always find someone to buy them off me if they don't fit. Someone in the Tyan newsgroup did mention they fit them in, however someone also said they fit in the SLK900 which I've had retailers tell me not a hope in hell. It was a retailer that recommended the SK-7 over the SLK900 as he said he knows it'll fit.

Thanks for your help, I'll let everyone know how it went when I get them.
Curtis
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Cool, hope it works for ya!
Justin West
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the SilentBoosts fit nicely into the Tyan Tiger MPX. It's a bit tight, but I got them in without too much trouble and they are GREAT! Dropped the temps by 10 degrees celsius per CPU and is MUCH quieter than what I had before.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

cpriest wrote:Just thought I'd let everyone know that the SilentBoosts fit nicely into the Tyan Tiger MPX. It's a bit tight, but I got them in without too much trouble and they are GREAT! Dropped the temps by 10 degrees celsius per CPU and is MUCH quieter than what I had before.
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out for ya! And thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Hope our review helped a lot. :)
Justin West
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

WOW! That is a pretty big difference! Glad we could help ya out!
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Yep you were a great help, thanks again :-)
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I have always just used the fan that comes with my processor. I never overclock, I spend to much money on my hardware to just burn it up :)

Alister
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Yeah I don't overclock either, but the stock fans are usually too loud, especially for a dual processor system when you have 2 of them.
Genuine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Genuine »

imo your best bet would be a Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, but only with the fan at low speed, since you are into low noise. It gets a bit noisier with the fan on high, but since you don't overclock, your temps will still be ok.
cpriest
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cpriest »

Yep, popped a couple Thermaltake Silent Boost's on there a few months ago and haven't looked back since :-)
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

shame it doesnt work on a P4 platform looks like a very good HSF, and a well structured review!
But then again my Aero 4 is doing its job superbly! :D