AMD 64X2 4400, Need some suggestions on aftermarket cooler.

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

AMD 64X2 4400, Need some suggestions on aftermarket cooler.

Post by Soliex »

Hey guys, just received my new computer and im already looking to squeeze some extra juice out of it but i know that the stock cooler wont be giving me much room for squeezing. So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and/or input into which one i should consider buying?

I am using the Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard in case that has anything to do with the size of the heatsink/fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

What cooler did you get with it? The new cooler that AMD supplies is quite good, nearly as good as some of the best 3rd party air coolers on the market.
I'm currently using the bundled cooler on my Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.6GHz. 8)
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Thermaltake's Big Typhoon is a great cooler.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=4426

thats the one i got, it works great and its cheap!!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

werty316 wrote:Thermaltake's Big Typhoon is a great cooler.
Out of all the different air coolers I've tested for A64, the TT Big Typhoon offers the best performance out of the box with acceptable noise levels. Some of the Thermalrights also get great prerformance with higher speed fans, but I don't really care for their mounting system.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Bio-Hazard wrote:
werty316 wrote:Thermaltake's Big Typhoon is a great cooler.
Out of all the different air coolers I've tested for A64, the TT Big Typhoon offers the best performance out of the box with acceptable noise levels. Some of the Thermalrights also get great prerformance with higher speed fans, but I don't really care for their mounting system.
And if you're feeling really crazy you can lap the base on the Big Typhoon and get even better temps.... but that's just the cooling freak coming out in me. 8)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

They guys @ Madshrimps have a nice review(s)
CPU Heatsink Roundup Q1 2006
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=406
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

hooray for my HSF!!!
Heretic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Heretic »

The only downside of the TT BT is that some people have had difficulties in mounting the thing. Aside from that, I'd recommend the CNPS 9500. (or just go for water cooling :) )
kojak71
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kojak71 »

I would recommend the Scythe Ninja along with a 120mm. I've currently got this setup on my 3200 which is overclocked by 20%, but my system is extremely quiet as it has a 120mm Nexus fan running at 5V. It doesn't even break a sweat. The other good thing about this cooler is that most of the weight is in it's base reducing the cantilever effect that top heavy coolers have on the motherboard. It's also one of those coolers that can have the fan attached on any of it's sides, so that you can ensure that the airflow ducts to the exhaust vent.

A couple of negative points though. It's large, so your case needs to be deep enough to house it. The fan mounting system is a bit fiddly, but considering that this cooler is primarily meant for fanless operation, I'm glad that the option is there. However you do need to pay attention to airflow, and ensure that there's enough space because the cooler + fan do take up a lot of real estate in your case.

Today I would be tempted to go for the Zalman 9500. It's cooling performance is exceptional.
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Soliex »

I think im going to stick with the stock one, its really impressing me keeping my cpu at 32C, and i got it overclocked to a 4800 from a X2 4400, only 200mhz increase :D
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

The clearance on mobo components provided by the Thermalright SI-120 and it's matching performance to Scythe Ninja when same fan is used makes it one of the best tradeoff between performance and usability.

It's also one of the easiest heatsink to find on market for a good price.
Try http://www.heatsinkfactory.com, they usual have very good deals on Thermalright heatsinks.