Crossfire and SLI setup options regarding mb's

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
XethaN
Legit User
Legit User

Crossfire and SLI setup options regarding mb's

Post by XethaN »

My question is can a MB with dual PCI express slots that can run Nviidia SLI, also have the option for an ATI crossfire setup instead of SLI or do u have to have a different MB?
My MB only advertises that it runs 2x pci express 16x slots ready for nvidia SLI.
But after looking at some benchtests legitreviews has done a crossfire setup would be better in my opinion.
Any help would be great thankyou.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Crossfire only runs on ATI and Intel chipsets at the present time. The CrossFire Xpress 3200 looks to be a great chipset thus far.
XethaN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by XethaN »

well my MB is an intel LGA775 chipset board
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

XethaN wrote:well my MB is an intel LGA775 chipset board
If you mobo has an Intel chipset, technically you can still run two nV cards in SLI have you have the bridge SLI thing.
The problem lies in the Forceware driver which only allows nVidia chipset, other chipset manufactures didn't want to pay the license fee for SLI.
Since nV has bought ULi, ULi decided to release the patch for Forceware to enable SLI on their chipset now that nV can't sue them anymore.

More patches for Forceware should come to enable SLI for other chipsets. Just gotta wait for those l337 h4x0rz to reverse engineer ULi's patch.
XethaN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by XethaN »

well my MB is a SLI enabled board with Nvidia Nforce 4, so i know i can run SLi no problem, but after talking with my brother tonight he confirmed that i cant run 2 ATI cards in crossfire, as he said i would need a crossfire enabled board instead of an SLI board. which sux cos after reading the benchtests
it said how 2x ATI x1900's running in crossfire way outperform even 2x geforce 7800GTX 512 cards in SLI.

anyhow thanks for your help..
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

so you are running the nVidia SLI Intel Edition chipset?

Please post up your full system specs so we can all know what you have, because I am lost.
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Crossfire and SLI setup options regarding mb's

Post by wuzy »

also have the option for an ATI crossfire setup instead of SLI or do u have to have a different MB?
Wasn't reading the question clearly...

As of now no Crossfire can run on nVidia chipset boards with SLI... yet.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Just saw the opposite over at X-Bit....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/d ... 24238.html
So SLI is for non-nForce users now!
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

Sovereign wrote:Just saw the opposite over at X-Bit....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/d ... 24238.html
So SLI is for non-nForce users now!
Hah! The inevitable has finally happened! :)

That's like uhh... under 48hrs for them to work out how the patch worked.
Thanx a lot for point that out quickly d00d!
XethaN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by XethaN »

Now i just need them to do the opposite so I can run crossfire on my SLI intel board.
Prolly never going to happen. but ohh well.