Multiplier won't work on new MB

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Multiplier won't work on new MB

Post by NAiLs »

I had (key word, had) an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard when I built my system last year. I wanted to upgrade to a better board earlier in the year, so I sold that one and bought an A7N8X-E. When I had my A7V8X-X, I could change the multiplier at will and my core frequency would change higher. Now with my A7N8X-E, I cannot change it. It will say my core is like 800MHz. I'm assuming this is from my processor being 'locked.'

My big question is, why will one motherboard allow me to change the multiplier and another will not?

I have no clue what week my processor is. I'm not up for checking, unless there is some software that can? I don't remember anymore.

- Athlon XP 2600+ - 333FSB - 256k L2 Cache - purchased August/September 2003.
Last edited by NAiLs on Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

You might want to check your bios revision. It will be at the top or bottom of you're screen when you first boot up. if its old the try a new one, if its to new try to find a hacked or old one that peopel say works. this seems like a strange problem so im going to look around a little but if i foget to post anything dont be mad...please :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Your CPU should be unlockes if you got it last summer, and you did say it was changeable on your other MoBo. It's a problem with your new board I'm sure, weather it's a Bios problem or a hardware issue, I'm not sure, I'll have to check around also.... :shock:
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Thanks fellas! I appreciate it much!!! This is why I like Legit Reviews! :D
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Any word on this? Just checking up! :D
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

no sorry i was not able to dig up anything like whats happening to you. All i can suggest is trying another bios, older or hacked, and see if that helps.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Pop the heat sink off the processor and write down all the numbers on the CPU. I'd be interested in seeing the date code ;)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Apoptosis wrote:Pop the heat sink off the processor and write down all the numbers on the CPU. I'd be interested in seeing the date code ;)
hehe... I won't be doing that anytime soon. I should have done that when I took it off a few weeks ago to put some AS5 on the core (which did a nice job of cooling the core 2.5*C). I may do it when I buy a water cooling system next month. So I guess I'll have to wait until then, or try to update my bios.

So yeah... it's a PITA to get my case out of the desk:

Look familiar, Nate? :D
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Hmm... this is very interesting to me... I just got done building a system for someone in which I used a Barton 2500+ that I know is unlocked (had the processor for a while now) and installed it in a Asus A7N8X-VM... got the newest bios and realized that I had no option to adjust the multiplier or the FSB. So no overclocking options available at all.

At first I just thought it was because it was a cheap mobo... but after seeing this thread, I wonder if it is partially because mobo companies are slowing down on their AMD Socket A bios's since AMD started locking their chips.

Anyways, just wanted to share my two bits on my latest system build.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

so instead of going to the newest BIOS try one that is dated pre-October 2003 then! ;)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Apop... you know what, I just looked at my order history from when I actually bought my ****. I guess I bought it earlier than I thought. Googlegear.com (obviously now ZZF) is where I bought it, and the date was 04/29/03. So yeah... it has to be unlocked. (man... didn't think my computer was that old already...)

Hmm... what to do...... what to do...

I'm thinking a BIOS update will help me the best?