Halo 2 For the PC-YES!!!- One minor catch

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Halo 2 For the PC-YES!!!- One minor catch

Post by Fogey »

Page 11 of the April issue of CPU. "Can Halo 2 sell Vista?

Yep, thats right, YOU'll have to have Vista OS to run Halo 2. I guess the MS OS XP Home/Pro they have been hyping up and selling us for the last five years isn't up to the task. Wonder what makes MS think Vista will be any better since some of the new featurs, teck wise that Vista was supposed to have no longer will.

OH thats right, please forgive me! Vista will have better security!
Where have I heard that one before
MS needs to put the little drum roll [Win 95 style] back into all of this
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

So in order to legitimately run Halo 2, one would have to spend (>$200[best guess] + >$60) at least $260!!... that's an expensive PC video game!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

maybe more than $200 as gamers will be running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Windows Starter 2007 - Vista without Aero, probably meant for developing nations.

Windows Vista Home Basic - Basic Windows Vista for your single PC fam, doesn't sound like much going on here. Analagous to XP Home.

Windows Vista Home Basic N - European version of the same, but without Media Player (because of antitrust rulings against MS in the EU).

Windows Vista Home Premium - This is the one we're all probably gonna own. It's got Media Center functionality, Cable Card support, the whole home-media shebang.

Windows Vista Business - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista.

Windows Vista Business N - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista, but Euro.

Windows Vista Enterprise - Business version of Vista with numerous enterprise features, like Virtual PC, volume encryption, etc.

Windows Vista Ultimate - Love that name. This one does all of the above (and more)
Prices are rumored to be between $99-$299 for the above 8 versions.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I've heard about this... pretty weak move if you ask me.

I almost wish I were in school for another year or two. I can get XP Pro for free through school and I would imagine I would be able to get a better version of Vista for free by the time it is released too. I don't plan on upgrading to Vista anytime soon either... not worth my money.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Eight versions of Vista; Great, that means eight times the security threats/risks. Sorry, I forgot, MS says this will be a very secure OS. My falult, I've never known them to be wrong on what they say. Funny how Vista isn't even out yet and they are plannig their next NEW OS with the new File system that got left out of Vista. Then again, Bungie and MS are working on a Halo 3. Yep, thats right, Halo 3. This way, we'll need to upgrade to the next OS so we can play Halo 3. What ever happened to back [real world] compatability. Let me guess, Halo 2 for th PC will require Dirx 10 which Win XP won't have. Ah yes, lets make this less of an up grade option for us users. Me, I'll hang onto XP Pro for a little while
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

Apoptosis wrote:maybe more than $200 as gamers will be running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Windows Starter 2007 - Vista without Aero, probably meant for developing nations.

Windows Vista Home Basic - Basic Windows Vista for your single PC fam, doesn't sound like much going on here. Analagous to XP Home.

Windows Vista Home Basic N - European version of the same, but without Media Player (because of antitrust rulings against MS in the EU).

Windows Vista Home Premium - This is the one we're all probably gonna own. It's got Media Center functionality, Cable Card support, the whole home-media shebang.

Windows Vista Business - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista.

Windows Vista Business N - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista, but Euro.

Windows Vista Enterprise - Business version of Vista with numerous enterprise features, like Virtual PC, volume encryption, etc.

Windows Vista Ultimate - Love that name. This one does all of the above (and more)
Prices are rumored to be between $99-$299 for the above 8 versions.
I don't get what Vista Buisness N is. Euro? Europe only?
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

I bought an xbox for Halo 2... then when i completed it i sold the whole package... didnt really see a point in keeping it! :p
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

The 'N' versions have different copyright priveleges included due to European copyright laws. They will only be sold in Europe and the non-'N' counterparts will not be sold in Europe.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Imakeholesinu wrote:I don't get what Vista Buisness N is. Euro? Europe only?
I believe N just means the crippled version without Media Player preinstalled or something due to the lawsuits. Then again... you could just download it and then there's no difference.

So there's really only three versions that most of us would actually have to worry about.

Basic = Home
Basic Premium = MCE
Business = Pro
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

halo 2 sucked anyways, what a damn joke. There will be a XP patch for sure
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

"one minor catch"..... halo sucks.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Interesting but if I can't play it on XP then screw that. I'll wait till vista is the norm and XP is no longer support/used.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

So how many of these HC gamers are going to DL Vista?

I'll buy it, but one copy is going to be used for all my family's computers, just like I did for XP and I didn't buy XP MS gave it to me. Screw you MS....
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

i just thought, even if there is a XP patch, you still probably wont be able to play on the online servers. Which is what halo and halo 2 is all about. Ohh well, there are better games.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I have no reason to upgrade from Win2K and even if I did, Vista would be obtained via the usual underground methods. Microsoft can afford it.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

Nobahar wrote:I have no reason to upgrade from Win2K and even if I did, Vista would be obtained via the usual underground methods. Microsoft can afford it.
of course they can... They charge all of us more :evil: