Ageia PhysX & You @ HardOCP

News, Reviews, and Tech related stories from our sister sites and news outlets around the net.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ageia PhysX & You @ HardOCP

Post by Apoptosis »

Lost in arguing press releases and rhetoric spewed forth about Ageia's new PhysX PPU cards? We cut to the chase and tell you what you really need to know about PhysX and your money.

"With the current titles available, PhysX delivers nothing worth the purchase price and PhysX has to be solely valued by the gaming content that it supports. Sites that are dragging the framerate wars into this are not telling the gamers what they need to know. Sadly this is exactly what I expected. PhysX is not about framerates, synthetic benchmarks, or PR catfights; PhysX is about the gaming immersion and experience it provides you."

Article: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==

Legit Reviews has the AGEIA PhysX card... what would you like to see in the review? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to review the card.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ageia PhysX & You @ HardOCP

Post by pcrobot »

Apoptosis wrote:Lost in arguing press releases and rhetoric spewed forth about Ageia's new PhysX PPU cards? We cut to the chase and tell you what you really need to know about PhysX and your money.

"With the current titles available, PhysX delivers nothing worth the purchase price and PhysX has to be solely valued by the gaming content that it supports. Sites that are dragging the framerate wars into this are not telling the gamers what they need to know. Sadly this is exactly what I expected. PhysX is not about framerates, synthetic benchmarks, or PR catfights; PhysX is about the gaming immersion and experience it provides you."

Article: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==

Legit Reviews has the AGEIA PhysX card... what would you like to see in the review? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to review the card.
Maybe F.E.A.R. totally maxed out?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

F.E.A.R. doesn't support AGEIA PhysX hardware ;(
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

thank you very much for the post!!! I have been overly confused on what exactly it can do and its cost/benifits.

Thank you for the link, it certianly cleared a lot of things up for me.

Well im not even going to think about getting one now. at least not until UT2007 comes out and can prove itself.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

maybe how it affects frame-rates.. i would have thought with PPU the Frame rates would rocket as a heavy load would be removed....

Mind you, i dont think GRAW and Cell factor take full advantage of the PPU... and since the drivers r only in their first revision state i do expect performance increases to occur as the platform matures!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Immortal wrote:maybe how it affects frame-rates.. i would have thought with PPU the Frame rates would rocket as a heavy load would be removed....

Mind you, i dont think GRAW and Cell factor take full advantage of the PPU... and since the drivers r only in their first revision state i do expect performance increases to occur as the platform matures!
The frame rates actually go down! The card does alot of work but with all the extra physics there is more data for the cpu too....
But it looks worth it.......if it wasn't for the cost.......

I can't think of anything unique for a review.....There just isn't enough game support. Mayby use an ATI rig and see if there is any games which support AGEIA and HDR. @ least with an ATI card you can then test; AA/AF/HDR & AGEIA's physics all @ the same time
Jarlax
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jarlax »

I do not think it is worth it yet. Not enough games support the card and the few that do don't seem to add enough extra to make the card worth it to me. A few extra poly's bouncing around for $300 plus additional tax on the CPU is just not valid to me yet.
ArkiteXJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ArkiteXJ »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:thank you very much for the post!!! I have been overly confused on what exactly it can do and its cost/benifits.

Thank you for the link, it certianly cleared a lot of things up for me.

Well im not even going to think about getting one now. at least not until UT2007 comes out and can prove itself.

With the pc your running I wouldn't either. That's not a bad system that you have there