Heatsink for AM2

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Heatsink for AM2

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I'm looking at good heatsinks (as I'll be doing as much OC as I can) without resorting to liquids yet.

Does anyone know if this will fit the AM2 socket?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Looking at the list of compatable AM2 heatsinks compiled by MadShrimps, they don't have that Thermaltake heatsink listed, but my guess is that it will not fit. Ya never know though, I have been wrong before...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

i believe most Socket 939 heat sinks will fit... The only issue you might have is where the clip hits the 4 hole mount, but that can't be fixed with a dremel too if it is in the way.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Apoptosis wrote:i believe most Socket 939 heat sinks will fit... The only issue you might have is where the clip hits the 4 hole mount, but that can't be fixed with a dremel too if it is in the way.
Unless the heatsink doesn't use clips or uses it's own mounting bracket (like the Thermaltake Tower112 like we are talking about here)...
http://www.techbits.ca/images/reviews/t ... ackets.jpg
http://www.extrememhz.com/Thermaltake/T ... -pic11.jpg

If you could mod one of the brackets or if Thermaltake updated one with AM2 mounting holes it would probably be ok. Or maybe you could get lucky and one pair of the holes might somehow line up with the four mounting holes on the AM2 socket. Or, if you REALLY want this heatsink, you could go so far as to make your own mounting bracket for it...
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Hm, some good points. I'm not too keen to make a bracket myself.

Anyone know of some good AM2 heatsinks?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

It looks like the Thermalright Ultra90 is the only Thermalright heatsink that will fit on AM2, but luckily it is a pretty solid choice. Other than that, I would also suggest taking a look at the more expensive and harder to find Zalman CNPS9500AM2.
Last edited by gvblake22 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've been running the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 heat sink on my 5000+ system and it's been great and looks awesome. It fits AM2/754/939/940 sockets which is impressive. But it is pricey with most retailers wanting $70 for one (Linky). At $75 shipped you are half way to a Nautilus 500 water cooler by corsair.
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

I also think that most 939 Heat Sinks will fit...so I would recommend you to go for the Thermaltake Big Typhoon or the CoolerMaster Hyper 6+...just make sure they really fit AM2.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

zachig wrote:I also think that most 939 Heat Sinks will fit...so I would recommend you to go for the Thermaltake Big Typhoon or the CoolerMaster Hyper 6+...just make sure they really fit AM2.
Well, MadShrimps already tested a bunch of the most popular s939 heatsinks (as I posted earlier) HERE and neither the Hyper6+ nor the Big Typhoon were found to be compatable with AM2. Although those are both great heatsinks, they don't seem to be compatable with AM2...
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

Oops...sorry...my mistake...I had to check his list before posting...

Anyway, if we have to stick to the list, I would go with either the ThermalTake Mini-Typhoon (Big Typhoon Little Brother :lol: ) or the Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 (if you like silence and not into heavy overclocking).
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I think I've narrowed the choices down to the Mini Typhoon, that Zalman one Apop mentioned, or the Ultra-90.

The Zalman one is nice because it has a green led fan (I like green :) ), but if I'm reading things right it's not the best performer I could get. I'm looking for more overclockability, not less noise.

The Mini Typhoon looks promising (especially cause I could put a 92mm to 120mm fan adapter on it ), but I can't find it for sale on my usual haunts. Guess I have to expand my search.

The Ultra-90 I have to look into more. Does anyone know of a review for the Mini Typhoon or the Ultra-90?
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

If you plan on overclocking, you should definitely go for the "Mini Typhoon". Altough the "Big Typhoon" should perform better, the "Mini" should perfrom quite well, and definitely better than the Zalman CNPS9500 (in terms of cooling efficiency).

If you'll set it to full speed (the "Mini Typhoon") it should cool down your CPU pretty good (even on "heavy" overclocking"), but then it'll be a bit noisy, unlike the CNPS9500 which is considered almost silent.

Oh...and if you're really into overclocking, why not consider "Water-Cooling"? :roll:

Anyway, GOOD LUCK. :)
Jarlax
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jarlax »

I have heard that the Mini-Typhoon is a pretty good heat sink and not too loud. I will try to find the article I read and append it to the post.
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

phillipjos
Legit User
Legit User

if you use that cooler dont use the brackets

Post by phillipjos »

i had a cooler similar to that use ret. bracket from old mobo get some longer screws it works better, im using t-t venus 12 on my 4200 am2,good luck, ps, this way you dont have to take mobo out