Media Build -Help Request

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Voislav
Legit User
Legit User

Media Build -Help Request

Post by Voislav »

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am attempting to build a media computer for my folks and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the spec's on it.

I was thinking around 1gig of RAM, 3ghzs processor and just a staple graphics card x800 or so. Is there any particular thing I'm missing that you can think of? This won't be for major movie editing, just 10-15 minute home movies.

Thanks!
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

Hmm, considering you will be using this computer for movie editing, I would suggest opting for a dual-core processor as video encoding and decoding can be pretty heavy on the system and make it lag. Having dual-core will still let you use the computer while doing these things :finga:

1gig of ram is pretty sufficient, I'm living with it and it works splendid. The video card seems a bit high end for video editing. I don't think you will need to purchase such an expensive one, as I believe video editing isn't too affected by a video card. Maybe you should go for something a bit cheaper, say something of the likes of a x1600. :)
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

I would also suggest go for x1600 or maybe nvidia's 7600 card. These cards have avivo or purevideo, which will help mpeg encoding. What do you plan to do with the system? if you want to watch, record, edit, etc, you can also consider a all in wonder video card.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

So are you going to be editing the 10-15 minute home movies or just copying them to the hard drive to watch?

editing, doesnt matter how big or small, requires a LOT of cpu power. I agree with the above on a dual core cpu.

Video card doesnt really matter. make sure it has s-video out on it ;) and Nvidia rules :p

if you are doing video editing, you could go with more ram if you have it in your budget. I use 2GB in my main system for video editing, and with an AMD 3000+ Barton chip, it just KILLS the system - 55 minute video in Ulead takes a couple hours of 100% power to finish.

Oh are you using your camcorders firewire, usb, or do you have to capture the video into the computer? firewire and usb you just need the ports of course. Capturing go with Hauppauge PVR150 - cheap and damn good. More money - go for the dual tuner one, but I never had the need.

do dee do

oh - hard drives - LOTS of hard drives!! FAST hard drives too!!

dont just get 1 big drive - get at least 2 seperate drives. It will speed the system up by keeping the swap on a different hard drive than the main system drive. It also helps if you copy a video to one drive, then render it from ulead or something to another hard drive..it does make a noticable difference to me.

Mike

ask more ?'s if ya got em
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

You should get a lower end ATI x1*** series gfx card.

Avivo is included and it's way better than Nvidia's Purevideo.
You can use the Catalyst control centre to encode your videos, this means your GFX card AND BOTH cpu cores will be busy encodin for you.....
Nvidia's Purevideo helps with playbabk and not so much with encoding

(I've had both a 7800GTX & X1900)

Welcome to LR BTW
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

I guess that 1GB is more than enough. If you plan going for the X800, than go for the All-In-Wonder model for sure...and...if you're more seriously into Media PC, go for the Hauppage WinTV-PVR-150 (or similar...) along with a modest Video Card (i.e. 6600SE).

And of course...you'll need a H.D of (at least) 250GB and a DVD-RW drive.

Hope this helps... :)