Cleaning Screens

A place to talk about all things mobile
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cleaning Screens

Post by NAiLs »

Does anyone know of a decent cleaner for a laptop screen? My new E1705 rocks, but it has a glossy screen that has fingerprints all over it from who knows what. I never touch the screen but I always seem to find more and more fingerprints on it.

Thanks!
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

i use these special cleaning cloths from fellows. They work great for getting rid of finger prints and dust. But most anything major you will need a cleaning solvant.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you have an e1705 too? What video card you got? See the upgrade article jason wrote up?
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:i use these special cleaning cloths from fellows. They work great for getting rid of finger prints and dust. But most anything major you will need a cleaning solvant.
The only solvent you should use is WATER! You can add a drop of dish soap and /or vinger to it for removing grease prints (just do a rinse after)
windex,ethyl alcohol and ammonia-based cleaners can yellow your LCD over time, stronger stuff can melt it.
dampen a very soft lint-free cloth (cotton is good) and wipe gently in small circles, rinse and repeat, dry with a soft cloth( watch out for paper towels and some synthetics are very abrasive)
And next time DON'T TOUCH THE PRON! (finger or anything else 8-[ ) remember it's a picture on a screen.:roll:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

T-Shirt wrote:
Dragon_Cooler wrote:i use these special cleaning cloths from fellows. They work great for getting rid of finger prints and dust. But most anything major you will need a cleaning solvant.
The only solvent you should use is WATER! You can add a drop of dish soap and /or vinger to it for removing grease prints (just do a rinse after)
windex,ethyl alcohol and ammonia-based cleaners can yellow your LCD over time, stronger stuff can melt it.
dampen a very soft lint-free cloth (cotton is good) and wipe gently in small circles, rinse and repeat, dry with a soft cloth( watch out for paper towels and some synthetics are very abrasive)
And next time DON'T TOUCH THE PRON! (finger or anything else 8-[ ) remember it's a picture on a screen.:roll:

LOLOOLL

well i was talking aobut those sprays they have, but, yes water is the probably the best "solvant" to use.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I actually just tried a dry diaper rag (lint free cloth) and it seems to have worked okay. I know you're not supposed to use ammonia based products, that's kinda why I was asking for any other products out there. I know the same goes with Window Tint! :P
Apoptosis wrote:you have an e1705 too? What video card you got? See the upgrade article jason wrote up?
Yup, just got it last week. ~$1550 after taxes and whatnot.

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
17" UXGA Ultra Sharp w/ True Life Widescreen Display (1920x1200 max res)
2GB OCZ PC4200 DDR2 RAM (Skipped out on the 667MHz stuff 'cause that was really expensive)
GeForce 7800 Go 256MB
100GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
Built in A/B/G Wireless
8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW, +/- R, DL, CD-RW, R)
6 and 9 cell batteries
Backpack Carrying Case

I'm kinda pissed because Dell just began to offer the 7900GS like a day after I ordered my system. Some people say the 7800 Go itself is better than the 7900 GS, but the numbers on NVidia's website for the 7900 GS show to be faster than the 7800 Go.

Oh, and no I didn't see any upgrade article on the 9400/E1705.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Havicaz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Havicaz »

Not trying to hijack the topic here, but how do you like your E1705? I was looking at the E1505, but after reading that 1705 upgrade article about the slow performance of the X1400 I'm reconsidering. I see dell offers the 7900 in the 1705, but I'm worried that the 1705 will be too big. How portable is it for you guys, or is it mainly a desktop replacement?
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Havicaz wrote:Not trying to hijack the topic here, but how do you like your E1705? I was looking at the E1505, but after reading that 1705 upgrade article about the slow performance of the X1400 I'm reconsidering. I see dell offers the 7900 in the 1705, but I'm worried that the 1705 will be too big. How portable is it for you guys, or is it mainly a desktop replacement?
I love my 1705 a lot. It weighs what, 6lbs? The standard 6-cell battery I can get just under 2 hours (like 1hr 45min to 1hr 50min) of battery life out of and the 9-cell I believe was reaching 3 hours. I would definitely opt for the 7900 series card over the x1400 any day. It is worth the extra couple bucks.

I bought the backpack to carry it around and that I like more than the carrying case that I had for my old laptop sometimes. It's easier on your shoulders and back.

The only downside is, all Dell's (atleast the high end ones) come with a glossy screen. That's a huge negative in my eyes. Sure it gives you a clearer picture, but you can't see very well when light shines on the thing. You can turn the display brightness up all the way and that'll help a lot, but it's still annoying.
Jarlax
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jarlax »

THere was a write up in this months Maximum PC that said you should use water or 50% isopropyl alcohol with a lint free cloth or a paper towel.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Jarlax wrote:THere was a write up in this months Maximum PC that said you should use water or 50% isopropyl alcohol with a lint free cloth or a paper towel.
Thanks! I was thinking water, but decided not to.

I would stay away from Paper Towel though as it is far too rough.