Gigabit LAN issue?? Need some help.

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gigabit LAN issue?? Need some help.

Post by Illuminati »

Ok, I am currently using the ABIT IS7 mobo we reviewed way back when it first came out... so it is a regular IS7 ... but has 3com Gigabit LAN on it just like the IS7-G.

Well, I just got cable at the house and this computer randomly has the connection cut in and out. All the other computers in my house work just fine and never loose their connection. So I think it is the gigabit lan port on my IS7.... is there a setting I need to configure for this gigabit lan port to work properly on a 10/100 router?

If I restart my computer when the connection cuts out, then I will regain a stable connection for about 15 minutes... but once it starts cutting out, the connection is never stable unless I restart.

Any tips or "your gigabit lan is fubar" statements are greatly appreciated! :)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

uh...it's 10/100/1000 so it will work on them all.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/deta ... 3C940-MV00
Your customers and end users will appreciate the performance-enhancing features—including 10/100/1000 Mbps autonegotiation, checksum offloads, advanced bus mastering, on-chip buffer memory, Jumbo Frames support, traffic prioritization, and efficient multicast control. Central control capabilities help them streamline IT administration, minimize work disruptions, and improve end-user productivity.
Seeing how thats my old board I used on the review I doubt it's the board. I used it on a 10/100base network with no issues.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

HAHA... don't forget you're talking to a former network tech... I don't have a whole lot of experience with desktop configuration... but I know when I need to call deskside services to fix their poorly configured computers...

that's why I am asking about settings for a gigabit lan nic... I don't know if I should have it set to half, full or auto duplex... etc.

I've used two different routers: 1 D-Link wireless router that I initially setup... and the second was a router I got from Monsanto to setup VPN and both routers work fine for every comp in the house except my IS7... now tell me I shouldn't look to the mobo.
Justin West
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

cough

USER ERROR

lol
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Apoptosis wrote:cough

USER ERROR

lol
Lol... that's exactly what I'm trying to eliminate... I can't figure it out, so I'm asking for help. Could be a setting problem that I made... or could be defective from ABIT.
Justin West
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Step away from the board... slowly, with your hands raised... do not make any sudden moves...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Hum... lets see here..

1) You OWN an online computer retailer company

2) You write reviews for me

3) You almost have a degree in Computer Science (1 year left)

4) You work as a Software Engineer

5) You used to be a Network Tech

I must agree with Jason!
Step away from the board... slowly, with your hands raised... do not make any sudden moves...
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

LOL... wtf is that supposed to mean?... haha. you guys suck... let someone who has some REAL advice post something.

And just to let you know Nate... if I can't get this network connection stable, I'm gunna swap my IS7 with the MSI Neo2-FIS2R springdale badass that I reviewed HERE! :)
Justin West
JoeG
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JoeG »

Now, now guys. :roll: haha

Some basic ideas... make sure you try swapping your CAT5 cable and perhaps try upgrading the drivers to the latest from 3com. You might also do a search on google for incompatibilites between the 3com NIC and the D-Link Router...

Or perhaps try pluggin that PC into another hub, then connecting that to the router to check for incompatibilities.

I'm sure it's just a flaky cable or crappy drivers.

Good luck,
Joe
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Gigabit LAN issue?? Need some help.

Post by eva2000 »

Illuminati wrote:Ok, I am currently using the ABIT IS7 mobo we reviewed way back when it first came out... so it is a regular IS7 ... but has 3com Gigabit LAN on it just like the IS7-G.

Well, I just got cable at the house and this computer randomly has the connection cut in and out. All the other computers in my house work just fine and never loose their connection. So I think it is the gigabit lan port on my IS7.... is there a setting I need to configure for this gigabit lan port to work properly on a 10/100 router?

If I restart my computer when the connection cuts out, then I will regain a stable connection for about 15 minutes... but once it starts cutting out, the connection is never stable unless I restart.

Any tips or "your gigabit lan is fubar" statements are greatly appreciated! :)
nic's driver properties i'd turn off it's ability to turn off to save power
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gigabit LAN issue?? Need some help.

Post by Illuminati »

eva2000 wrote:nic's driver properties i'd turn off it's ability to turn off to save power
Thanks for the tip... but it did not solve the problem.

As for an update... I have now tried different cables and that didn't change a thing... it's no longer hooked up to the D-Link router so that was not the cause either...

I am going to switch mobo's tonight to see if my original hunch was correct about it being the mobo... so I'll let you all know as soon as I find out.

Thanks for the help so far!
Justin West
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I changed over to the MSI Neo2-FIS2R for about a week now and have had no problems with loosing my internet connection.

Thanks for the ideas!
Justin West