Digital camera - $300

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Digital camera - $300

Post by pcrobot »

Hey,

Well, I'm finally ready to get another tech toy... a digital camera!

I'm probably going to get the HP Photosmart R817 because I've used it before and it gets good reviews.

If any of you have suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

P.S. I couldn't think of a better section in this forum to post this, sorry.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

well as far as cameras goe...HP sux IMO...besides the fac tthat they just recalled nearly 800,000 cameras for fire hazards..they feel and look cheap and perform even worse...mayeb u had different experience..but just about ever HP camera ive sold comes back..for $300 u could get a nice piece of camera equipment..definitely look around first..i suggest somehtin by nikon,kodak,canon or olympus for the best bet..even pentax is good...(i sell cameras if ur wondering)
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

i am looking at the canon sd powershots my self. my parents have the sd400 digital elph 6mp. i love it!!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well I have a Kodak DX4530 - yes its old :p and a Canon SLR. I was looking for a new camera, and the main thing i have found - get at least a 10X OPTICAL zoom!!! We have a 300mm lens for the SLR, and a 12X OPTICAL zoom on the digital cameras are the same or better for distance, and they are in a TINY package compared to the SLR!

I have heard horror stories about HP myself, and will never buy one.

I have had horror stories with Sony junk, and will never buy one of those either - plus the stupid memory sticks.

I have had agood experience with my Kodak, and might buy another one. Higher end I would probably go with a Canon.

Mike

Speaking of which - we leave the end of September for the trip to Kansas motor speedway that I won, and I might have to try and get one before then! Easier to carry than the SLR!!!!!!!!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

hehe the dx4530 is still good tho...my mom has that one and its still damn good..and old :P lol...sonys are gettin better since they aquired minolta (from what i heard) but its not gonan save them from bein egotistical bastards
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Aegis
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Aegis »

pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Aegis wrote:Canon EOS 20D
I wish... *drools*
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I do consulting and the only >1000 dollar cameras I suggest is Canon.

Sony buying Pentax may change that, but presently I'd stick with Canon.

Save a ton of money and buy the camera you choose online.

http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl

The two companies I suggest for Cameras:

http://www.profeelvideo.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

Yea, my parents have bought nothing BUT canon. I love our cameras, they are great. Canon all the way..
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

I like my HP camera. My mom did drop it on pavement though, so I have to use rubber bands to hold together the battery compartment now. :(
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Zelig wrote:I like my HP camera. My mom did drop it on pavement though, so I have to use rubber bands to hold together the battery compartment now. :(
Trust me, HP just doesn't cut it. Though the ISO shadow boost was good, the rest of the image results were mixed at best.

If you have 460, I'd suggest the Canon S80.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

I have a Fuji FinePix 700. It does well for the general use I need it for. It goes up to 6mpix.

At work, we have a Nikon CoolPix 5400. It works great if you really have a steady hand. This prevents the picture taken from being blurry. :) Also, the battery life, since day one, has been no greater than 20mins. :? That includes a spare battery with the same life too! :?

I've had my eye on a few Olympus cameras before getting the Fuji. The Fuji was given as a gift, so I stopped looking around.

My son has a Kodak. What a pain in the behind. Even the computer software is a joke.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I picked up a Canon A540 on Monday and it takes some great pictures. I bought it based on what I had read about the macro abilities (for taking those GPU core and memory shots). You can find the A540 at well below $300.
review- http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A540/A540A.HTM
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

stev wrote:At work, we have a Nikon CoolPix 5400. It works great if you really have a steady hand. This prevents the picture taken from being blurry. :) Also, the battery life, since day one, has been no greater than 20mins. :? That includes a spare battery with the same life too! :?
I've had bad experiences with CoolPix cameras (blurry, discolored or dark photos) :rolleyes:

It looks like the majority says Canon, I'll look into it.

BTW, thanks for the links Tim.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

I'm thinking about getting a Pentex Optio W10 for my next point and shoot, not that I shoot much underwater, but waterproof dust proof sound good.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_rev ... o_w10.html