Anodizing and Powdercoating

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Anodizing and Powdercoating

Post by Skippman »

Does anyone know a shop that takes small orders? I have a piece of aluminum I need to have annodized to match the rest of my case. I don't think spray paint would hold up very well given its going in a 5 1/4 bay and spray paint won't give the same glossy apperance as the rest of the cases interior.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

St Louis is big enough to have plenty anodizing or powercoat shops.
Use google or (Gasp!) the yellow pages to look for Metal finshing or painting.
Almost all will take small jobs, but you may have to wait until they are running a batch of the same color.
Mostly they can't waste the time showing you all the options, so do your research, know exactly what you want, and place your order.
BTW often the minimum charge, is more than the cost of what you want done on a small job, so if you (or friends) have other items you want the same color combine them to get the lowest price per piece.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

or

spray paint it to match the color of the rest of the case then spray a clear coat over that. It will be nice and shinny then, if not as shinny as the rest you can buff it.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Here is the tutorial I followed it produced some nice results 8)

http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-1 ... se-part-1/
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

T-Shirt wrote:St Louis is big enough to have plenty anodizing or powercoat shops.
Use google or (Gasp!) the yellow pages to look for Metal finshing or painting.
Almost all will take small jobs, but you may have to wait until they are running a batch of the same color.
Mostly they can't waste the time showing you all the options, so do your research, know exactly what you want, and place your order.
BTW often the minimum charge, is more than the cost of what you want done on a small job, so if you (or friends) have other items you want the same color combine them to get the lowest price per piece.
you would think st. louis would be big, sadly its a lame city by my standards.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It's got it all, you just have to find out where. Hell, I got some of my water jet cutting done while I waited for a great price. Search and you will find and talking to people nicely doesn't hurt much either.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

HONkUS wrote:Here is the tutorial I followed it produced some nice results 8)

http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-1 ... se-part-1/
That is a VERY nice guide - simple, yet effective! I might have to use that for my next project - I just HATE sanding - HATE!!!

Mike

kinda like hating mudding and taping drywall and sanding..argh
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I know a million people that do powder coating if you ever need sand blasting or powder coating I got ya on that.
FZ1

Re: Anodizing and Powdercoating

Post by FZ1 »

Skippman wrote:Does anyone know a shop that takes small orders? I have a piece of aluminum I need to have annodized to match the rest of my case. I don't think spray paint would hold up very well given its going in a 5 1/4 bay and spray paint won't give the same glossy apperance as the rest of the cases interior.
Oooooooh...that puts me in a mind to stop down the street where I live and talk to the folks at a small welding shop. They do annodizing and I'm pretty sure it'll be realtively cheap. I had thought about gettting some of my motorcycle parts done too.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I'm going to be using this pump and res assembly from Swiftech in my water cool system. I don't like the glossy silver it is. It's the only thing that color in the entire interior of the case.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCRES-1000.asp

I'd like to have that annodized black to match the rest of the case.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

If you cant find a good price it would be a really easy DIY project, all you would need to do is go to an autoparts store and buy a spray can of autoprimer, a spray can of black auto paint and a spray can of clear coat, $30 at the very most. If you wanted it to look really nice then get a all in 1 auto sanding kit, I get one by 3m that has 4 different grits of sand paper I think its like 5 bucks and sand the primer with the low grit until its smooth (just dont sand thru it) and and then use the 800 grit and then the 1000 grit to smooth the color coat. we are talkin a 2 day project here at the most I did my whole case in like 3 days so one little res casing should be easy. Plus you get a sense of accomplishment and it makes your work unique. After painting my case myself its the only way ill go because it really makes you feel a sense of pride in your work.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Got any pics of your rig?
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

ive been meaning to post some pics on here but I will have to wait till tomorrow morning. I also have some pics of a test panel I work on and it looks better than my case now lol.

If you are going to get into this then I would strongly recomend that you find an old side panel laying around to perfect your craft on I think all together I redid my test panel 4 times before I actually painted my case. Also Id recomend getting a can of auto stripper it will eat thru auto paint like crazy but it also causes cancer so make sure to wear a mask of some type and cover your skin! I accidentally got some mist on my skin and I immediatley had some nasty chemical burn splotches for a few days (maybe I should have worn pants when I did it :( ) but atleast if I get skin cancer i will know why :) Also if someone makes you mad you can spray your name into the hood of their car with this stuff lol (jk)

Oh yeah and if your not 18 then you probably cant buy any of this stuff anyway lol
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

hey Apop or any of you missouri guys, Have you ever been to missouri baking co.?? its this little Italian bakery not far out of St. Louis. THE BEST CANOLI'S EVER! I love the place. It's a must stop for the road trips in that direction. :) :)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

St. Louis is known for it's Italian food. There's a whole section of the city known as The Hill that's pretty much devoted to it. Places like Rigazi's, Amagetti's, Mangia Italiano, etc. Good stuff.
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

Yea thats where missouri baking co. is at :P . I love it there
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

Skippman wrote:St. Louis is known for it's Italian food. There's a whole section of the city known as The Hill that's pretty much devoted to it. Places like Rigazi's, Amagetti's, Mangia Italiano, etc. Good stuff.
Oh, nothing compared to Greek food, theres this one little place in St. Louis, its a resturant surrounded by houses. Its good Greek food, forgot the name tho :\
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

:P :P :P Im all hungry now!! hahaha. I get to eat Missouri Baking Co.s canolis like twice a year if I'm lucky.. ahhh and now i want one really bad :( lol