Upgraded from XP 1600 to XP 3200, now games crash

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

infinitevalence wrote: I just want to make sure that you removed the TIM and added some other interface material, you did right?
Yes I removed the TIM and added thermal compound to the surface of the core. There is a thin coating of generic thermal compound completely across the surface. I removed the fan and heat sink, whiped off what I had put on it before and then reapplied a thin coating, reconnected the heat sink and reconnected the cpu fan.

Right now I have ramped the mem down to 333 from 400 and am running the memtest once again. Do those errors that I mentioned before indicate that there is a problem with either the processor or memory? We can rule out video right?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

We cant rule it out, but the problems your experienceing are indicidive of a memory problem. The only errors that i saw you post were drive errors, i would suggest using a cd image (.iso) and burning it that way. I find that floppys have become extreamly unreliable these days.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Nexes wrote: I ran twelve of the default tests on it and test 4got 124 errors, test 5 got 2 errors and the rest were 0
Here's where the memory test worked, and I listed my results.

When I run the processor at 400 and the memory at 333 it still crashes. The only thing that runs stable so far is processor 333 and memory 400.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

is this GEIL memory by chance?
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

infinitevalence wrote:is this GEIL memory by chance?
No, Samsung.

Seems to have still gotten errors in the memtest after I set the processor at 400 and the memory at 333.

Now I'll run it whith the pocessor set to 333 and the memory set to 400.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

what is the ram spec to? i.e. pc3200, cas 2.5 .....
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Memory
size 1024
channels Dual
frequency 199.2
fsb:DRAM 1:1
CAS lat 3.0
RAS to CAS 4
RAS#precharge 4
Cycle time 8
Both Dimms are showing PC3200 512mb
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

If its pc3200 and its not passing memtest at 200 fsb then i would contact the manufacturer and get it replaced. the first thing i do now when i buy memory for a personal system is test it with memtest. i got burnt once by GEIL with some golden dragon memory that under no settings would pass memtest.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

The memory was working at 400 with his 1600+... I think the CPU or the Mobo is the culprit... I'm not sure what else to have you test.... Good luck.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Before I replaced the 1600+ the memory was running at 400 with no errors.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

you could try disableing the cpu interface, that might do something.
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

I have a friend that has the exact same mother board, I'm going to pop my processor in his system and see if it has problems. If it doesn't I'll pop his corsair xms mem in mine, see what happens.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Nexes wrote:I have a friend that has the exact same mother board, I'm going to pop my processor in his system and see if it has problems. If it doesn't I'll pop his corsair xms mem in mine, see what happens.
great idea... let us know how it goes.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Well, I stuck the ddr400 xms memory in my machine and it still crashed. I stuck the processor in a mobo the same as mine, it also contained the same ddr400 xms and it did not crash, ran fine.

So the most apparent thing that would be wrong is there is a problem with my mobo? What do you guys think? I was thinking that maybe Windows 2000 professional has become corrupt and rebuilding might fix the problem? Do you guys think that's a waste of time... replace the mobo?
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

its unlikely its win2k but you can try it since its easier than swapping your mobo
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

OMG.... Nexes...

I was at the LAN party yesterday down in Columbia... I didn't know you were local or even going to be there for that matter! You shoulda asked me when I was down there and I coulda looked at your system in person for you and brought some stuff down to test it out!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

See look at that a forum with door service, where else are you going to find that kind of community.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

nexes drop your fsb to 199 i bet it will work just fine. I just dropped a mobile into my a7n8x dx 2.0 and when i set it to exactly 200 i get errors in memtest within 10min and prime95 errors out almost instantly, if i set the ram too 200 and the fsb to say 100 it works perfect and if i use either 199 or 202 its perfect.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

also if that doesnt work drop it to 190 fsb and see what happens with my old barton at the 11x multi it refused to go any higher.
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Ok guys, I'll try those steps, thanks.

Apoptosis wrote:OMG.... Nexes...

I was at the LAN party yesterday down in Columbia... I didn't know you were local or even going to be there for that matter! You shoulda asked me when I was down there and I coulda looked at your system in person for you and brought some stuff down to test it out!
Yeah, I didn't know you were going to be there until Josh told me yesterday morning. Plus, when you arrived I was deep in thought..err..I mean game. That would've been smart of me though.