killer gaming nic

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, redonkulous. I can't see that thing possibly being worth nearly $300. Looking forward to your preview of this product anyway though...
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

Wow, MAJOR kudos to Apop for getting the first scoop and pics on this!!
serenade
Legit User
Legit User

Post by serenade »

It looks very cute. You'd better buy a plexiglass case, though, to show it off or otherwise you aren't getting your money's worth :roll: Props to LR for the pics :)
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I find it hard to believe NICs can get any better than server quality such as my 3Com 3C996-T PCI-X in terms of latency.

Is 6ms really that slow?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kyle Bennett from HardOCP went and saw the final production card and posted a quick blurb on it here.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I still think Honkus's version is better . LOOLOLOLOL
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, yeah, I'd pay extra for Honkus's.

I must admit, the card is looking better than the prototype, but its just too expensive to justify itself. Maybe a small premium over normal NIC's but $300? For the uber rich only! (having said that, I can imagine these things getting put into the $4k systems and people that don't know how to make their own will get them)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

well apparently it works

newegg people say so...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatin ... 6833342001
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:well apparently it works

newegg people say so...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatin ... 6833342001
ya but how many of those people really payed retail for it...

i can bet that they arent strapped for cash either, 280bucks for a network card is nothing to some people, not i though
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

before you say people at newegg says it works so it must please read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/62/4

I assure you the Legit Reviews is still 'Legit' and always will be. Legit Reviews is 100% owned by myself and no other corporations funded the start up or keep it running. You'd be suprised how many of your favorite review sites are owned partly by a computer company or run by their employees.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Aww damn apop, you've just gone and ruined my trust in the internet and the people on it. :P

I guess that's why I like this site so much, youve proven yourself time and time again to be honest and reliable!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Apoptosis wrote:before you say people at newegg says it works so it must please read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/62/4

I assure you the Legit Reviews is still 'Legit' and always will be. Legit Reviews is 100% owned by myself and no other corporations funded the start up or keep it running. You'd be suprised how many of your favorite review sites are owned partly by a computer company or run by their employees.

lol well i guess no one saw the sarcasism in my post. LOL sorry my fault then. LOL i have never really been good with emotional text. LOL
Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

I discount immediately, if not sooner, any forum post or review which starts with something like "I was skeptical about" or "I was thinking it wouldn't work..but" etc etc. It smells..no reeks or a "shill". Any honest reviewer/tester would want to start with a open mind and let the data speak for itself. We all have pre-conceived notions but the data is the data and personal opinion is what the conclusion page is for. The above is specially true and most difficult to spot for game reviews because they are so subjective. But most reviews from the game company shills don't even try to list any criteria for a game. The internet is the domain of evil sometimes and the sheep don't know it. He stops as he steps down from the soap box. ;)

Speaking to the question of "will it work?"...yes it is technically possible to put 20lbs of BS in a 5lbs bag as long as the bag has a pretty package and a cool heatsink :axe:

T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

"I was skeptical about....."
And I still am!
I can understand how off loading the network overhead from the CPU might help...... a little bit (MAYBE 1-3%, max/peak load) and MAYBE having the code specialized to UDP, may be a little better. However it difference in latentcy (ping) is outside your control
BUT this thing (and the tests) are so much hype (to put it politely)
put the $300 in to other upgrades (more RAM, better CPU or GPU.
Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

Actually I was talking about articles and posts that start with "I was skeptical about....." and then go on to give a glowing review. Not ones that start and end in the same vain. I'm with you on this hype mobile. Transmission parameters are set for the most part and that amount of money is better spent.

Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:before you say people at newegg says it works so it must please read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/62/4

lol well i guess no one saw the sarcasism in my post. LOL sorry my fault then. LOL i have never really been good with emotional text. LOL

I thought I did but it's the internet you never know :rolleyes: Just a suggestion - just add ;) to the end. :)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

all i can say is GIVE me one and i will try it!