Intel D975XBX 'Bad Axe' Motherboard stuck w/ VCore at 1.863V

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel D975XBX 'Bad Axe' Motherboard stuck w/ VCore at 1.863V

Post by Apoptosis »

The other day I had my Intel D975XBX 'Bad Axe' motherboard running with my Nautilus 500 and it was just at idle when I left the test bench for a couple hours to get lunch. I come back and the test system was shut down. I tried restarting it without much luck.

A number of people have asked to see how the OCZ PC2-8800 Gold and Corsair PC2-8888 DOMINATOR modules do with Conroe, so this was my attempt at finding out. I've was able to get the board to post once and this is what i saw....

The voltage was set to 1.325V in the BIOS on my Core 2 Duo E6700 processor, but for some reason the board was running 1.863V. Last night I packed the board up and overnight mailed it to one of the guys at Intel that designed the board, so he could debug it and find what is going on. Just thought I'd share it with you all. I sent it priority overnight, so it should arrive in a couple hours at their labs.

oh yes... 83C on my conroe... :axe:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Damn, nasty! At least it didn't fry your CPU straight away! However that picture doesn't match up to what you said bout cooling :P

I notice that you've favoured to ditch the X1950's unbelievably pretty cooler and use the accelero, how's that for temps?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

well i thought something was wrong with the nautilus 500, but it did the same with the reference HSF as seen in the picture above...

As for the X1950... the card in the picture is actually the X1900XTX... the X1950XTX has a maze 4 block on it. ;)

My CPU still works fine as it's running in the Gigabyte DS3 right now. Thinking about it now I shoulda used my dry ice tube on this board... LOL
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Ah, nice one then. I'm days away from insatlling my own watercooling setup, just waiting on PC parts to cool, so should have some fun myself.

The normal voltage doesnt go up that high right? Would have ensured maximum overclocks on dry ice :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah the most the board should be able to do is 1.6V
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

wow crazy stuff there.. coincidently i just plucked my E6700 on my Badaxe as well cooled by Corsair Hydrocool 200EX heh

83C in bios would be like 70C on the internal die sensor according to coretemp for badaxe :eek:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Got an e-mail back from Intel's R&D lab in Oregon...
I received the board yesterday and it’s acting just like you described. The CPU voltage is shooting up to 1.8/1.9V. The board can’t even really boot before it thermtrips. We’re still looking at it, but I don’t think Nate did anything wrong. We will need to keep the board to analyze it.
wheeew... Not my fault!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

okay now i'm pissed... it killed my E6700 that was in the motherboard... I'm out a motherboard and a CPU...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Ouch......Same thing happened with my 4400+ & Opty 170 using the "Expert" board.
Didn't you say Intel acknowledged there was a problem with the board? I dunno how it works with ES chips but mayby they will allow you to return it since it was their fault.....
I received the board yesterday and it’s acting just like you described. The CPU voltage is shooting up to 1.8/1.9V. The board can’t even really boot before it thermtrips. We’re still looking at it, but I don’t think Nate did anything wrong. We will need to keep the board to analyze it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kenc51 wrote:Ouch......Same thing happened with my 4400+ & Opty 170 using the "Expert" board.
Didn't you say Intel acknowledged there was a problem with the board? I dunno how it works with ES chips but mayby they will allow you to return it since it was their fault.....
Since Conroe is now old ES samples are all handed out and they are moving on to the next generation processors... think i might be out of luck, but we will see...
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:okay now i'm pissed... it killed my E6700 that was in the motherboard... I'm out a motherboard and a CPU...
ouch sorry to hear mate... maybe give a few days and cpu with miracously come back to life :mrgreen:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

funny because I just woke up at 8am and went to the test bench and tried it again... It just reboots where windows should load... use any other Allendale or Conroe and it works fine...
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:funny because I just woke up at 8am and went to the test bench and tried it again... It just reboots where windows should load... use any other Allendale or Conroe and it works fine...
maybe slowly coming back to life ? :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

maybe... I'm taking it to IDF with me...
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

I've got an ES revision of the 6700 :) wow and my Pentium EE 955...is ES too

lemme plug it in, i'll post some pics.