Corsair Nautilus 500 Radiator Modifications Improved Cooling

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Not at all a bad fan, plus a included speed controller.

SilverStone 9 Blade White 120 mm Fan with Controller - Sleeved

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=2888

With the trend towards silent, alot of the highspeed 120 mm fans have become harder to find, but they are still out there................. 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well i just got in my Type G 3/8" elbows from Danger Den and they are what I needed. They flow better than anything I can find locally and thread in with no resistance at all.

I noticed that one corner was going to hit the water line so I took a hack saw and cut off the mounting bracket on one side of the fan. The cut can be seen in the image below. Nothing vibrates or makes noise with the corner being cut off, so either I got lucky on that or tightened the other three corners up enough for them to hold everything tight.

Now everything fits in the original housing and my Nautilus 500 now cools 4-5C cooler under load.

Words of advice for those following in my footsteps. Order the 90 degree elbows in place of the straight fittings when you order the radiator from Danger Den and they wont cost you anything extra! The Aerocool fan doesn't improve cooling, but does look damn cool at night with the blue LED's.

In closing...

Before:

After:

If anyone reading this tries this or has already improved their Nautilus 500 their own please post up what you did to help others.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The cooler came out looking pretty good, good job............ 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Bio-Hazard wrote:The cooler came out looking pretty good, good job............ 8)
Thanks Steve! :drinkers:

I wanted something that cooled better and that's what I ended up with!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've always liked Corsair water cooling units except for their aluminum radiators. By using aluminum it required you to use a higher percentage of additive in the unit, now with the standard BI radiator, you can really drop the mixture way down (5% or so) which should also help out with performance a little.................. :mrgreen:
You also might want to think about modding that top mesh, either opening up the holes or replacing it with something with better airflow. It'll at a minimum reduce the fan noise a little as well as help to increase airflow through the radiator.
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

my i ask how tall is the nautilus water block ? it's height in mm ?

Just wondering if it would be useable with Big Typhoon mounting gear like

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

it looks like it is roughly 3/8" thick... so I believe that would be 9.5 to 10mm
aivikrames
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by aivikrames »

Nice Job! I also PM'ed you with the following questions, but I figured it would be more beneficial for everyone to see:

- Was it fairly straight forward to remove the original radiator since it is glued?

- What did you use to mount and secure the new radiator into place?

- Outside of the Danger Den type g elbows, hacking off the corner ofthe fan, etc., were there any other quirks that you ran into?

- Outside of what has been posted, do you have any other advice now that you have completed this that you can give to someone who is considering this mod?
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:it looks like it is roughly 3/8" thick... so I believe that would be 9.5 to 10mm
thanks sounds like it might fit okay :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

aivikrames wrote:Nice Job! I also PM'ed you with the following questions, but I figured it would be more beneficial for everyone to see:

- Was it fairly straight forward to remove the original radiator since it is glued?

- What did you use to mount and secure the new radiator into place?

- Outside of the Danger Den type g elbows, hacking off the corner ofthe fan, etc., were there any other quirks that you ran into?

- Outside of what has been posted, do you have any other advice now that you have completed this that you can give to someone who is considering this mod?
#1) yes very easy as the glue doesn't stick to metal, just pull it off the plastic with your fingers... LOL

#2) more double sided tape --- the current one is held in also by double sided tape

#3) I'd not use the xtreme rad as it's too thick and a larger cfm fan... Sometime when I get some free time I'll do this on my own.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

eva2000 wrote:my i ask how tall is the nautilus water block ? it's height in mm ?

Just wondering if it would be useable with Big Typhoon mounting gear like

exactly 10.80mm
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Nate,

I love those mods ! :P

OK, for another boost, take about 1mm off of the cold block base. Of course you will need a CNC lathe and a surface flatnessness gauge to square the block up prior to grinding the base.

If you can get a base lip down to 1.5mm, then the preformance increases. It should be worth another 1C or 2C under extreme loads. Roscal over at ProCooling has done this to micro-channel cold blocks. So, this isn't anything new.

You'll then need to shim the hold-down a little to make up the difference, but that isn't hard to do either.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
sbinh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Corsair Nautilus 500 Radiator Modifications Improved Coo

Post by sbinh »

Apoptosis wrote:

I called up the folks and Danger Den and placed an order with them last week and just got the parts in on friday. I ordered in the Black Ice Xtreme Radiator for $33.95 to replace the radiator that Corsair ships in the Nautilus 500.

When you ordered Black Ice Xtreme Radiator, which Fitting Size/ Barb Style did you choose to fix Nautilus500?

Thanks for the tips... I will mod mine also to cool down my CPU ...
I replaced the stock fan with this
SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm 2 Ball Case Cooling Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999344

It drop the cpu temp down few *C
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I used 90 degree Type G elbows from Danger Den! If I had to do it again I wouldn't get the extreme though.... I'm either going to make a fan shroud or get a different radiator for mine. I almost think the Xtreme is too thick!
sbinh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by sbinh »

Apoptosis wrote:I used 90 degree Type G elbows from Danger Den! If I had to do it again I wouldn't get the extreme though.... I'm either going to make a fan shroud or get a different radiator for mine. I almost think the Xtreme is too thick!
What do you think about this
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-aquab ... iator.html
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

will it fit? 166 X 122 X 35mm is pretty long

I know my Black Ice Extreme fits just fine and it's 153 x 133 x 45mm.

Something like the black ice pro would be a nice upgrade and it's cheap... Since it's thin you can stick a 100+ cfm fan on it...
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

stev wrote:

exactly 10.80mm
thanks stev :)
sbinh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by sbinh »

Apoptosis wrote:will it fit? 166 X 122 X 35mm is pretty long

I know my Black Ice Extreme fits just fine and it's 153 x 133 x 45mm.

Something like the black ice pro would be a nice upgrade and it's cheap... Since it's thin you can stick a 100+ cfm fan on it...
I am planning to add another radiator connect directly into stock one and have separate fan for it. Don't know if the stock pump can handle it or not ... With system pressure =22 psi .. it won't be a problem, will it?
aivikrames
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by aivikrames »

In terms of the black ice xtreme radiator, I found these two comparisons and in short it seems that the black ice pro is more efficient with a lower cfm fan

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1158/
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1140/

It should be noted that the article did not test a higher cfm fan on the xtreme radiator due to noise concerns. Thus, I would wonder if a 100+cfm fan was used, especially with the corsair unit, if it would outperform the black ice pro.

Thoughts?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

A Extreme will out perform a Pro with the correct fan, no questions there.......;) The question is, do you want to live with the noise from that fan.............;)