October 2006 Forum Contest - Folding For ATI Radeon GPU's

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

October 2006 Forum Contest - Folding For ATI Radeon GPU's

Post by Apoptosis »

This month we will be doing something a little different. The fine folks up at ATI have donated a couple retail box graphics cards. The flasgship ATI Radeon X1950XTX and cost effective ATI Radeon X1900XT 256MB are two very sweet graphics cards and we will be giving each card away at the end of the month.

To be honest we are tired of doing contest were posts are required as it increases spam and generates pointless posts. This month F@H launched a new client that allows folding on graphics cards, but there is a catch. It only works on ATI graphics cards. Since we have a folding team (Team 38296) and ATI is proud of their F@H support, we asked ATI if we can do a folding race and the rest is history.

For this contest we will have two winners and I have put a lot of thought on how to pick the winners.

The Grand Prize will be the ATI Radeon X1950XTXand will be given to the folder that has the highest points per per CPU. To find this score we will take total points divided by the number of CPU's folding under that account. To win this graphics card you'll have to worry about having the most powerfull systems running under your name and not the number of machines. The grand prize retails for $479.99!!!

The runner up prize will be the ATI Radeon X1900XT 256MB graphics card and will be given to the member who has the highest point total during the contest. This prize retails for $279.99!!

The contest officially starts on Tuesday October 10th at 12am. This is gives everyone a week to get their plan of attack worked out and get their system(s) up and running for the team. From October 10th to October 30th we will record points for the entire team for those 20 days and on October 31st be mailing out two kick ass ATI Graphics cards to the winners of both categories.

For those that are joining the team for the first time you can find the F@H software here and be sure to enter team number 38296 for the team ID for it to count. I'd highly suggest making some new threads in the folding forum as finding out what others are doing might help out your point total.

This contest is open for all those around the world, but Legit Reviews will only pay shipping. If your country taxes items coming in those are the responsibility of the winners. If the same person by chance wins both thry will have his/her pick of cards and the next card will go to one of the runner ups.

Rule Update: Staff members of Legit Reviews and all other review sites are exepempt from this contest. If you feel that you should be the exception to this rule please feel free to PM me and ask. This contest was put on to reward our folding members not for other sites top folders to come in for 20 days and leave after they clean us out.
Last edited by Apoptosis on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

reserved space to announce the winners...

Good luck to everyone and feel free to post questions and comments here on this thread.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Any users that are new to F@H and would like a how to as to how to set it up, or need additional help, for say tweaking etc. Do not hesitate to PM me or hit me up on AIM. We also have a forum, where most of our active F@H memebers spend a lot of time. http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewforum.php?f=16

Anybody that joins the team because of this contest, we hope you stay and contribute for the long term to this worthy project. We are a small but up and coming team.

To check out our stats go here http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=38296

As you can see there is at any time 20-25 active members so the odds are in your favor.

And remember only BORG (install F@H) with permission. Stanford does not condone borgs that do not have permission and will wipe all your stats if you do so. It has been done in the past so don't think it won't happen again.

For those who don't know what F@H is please go here http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=773

LR has given away items to folders before but nothing of this magnitude and we all owe a great debt of gratitude to Apoptosis and ATI for being so generous

Those Entered

bubba
pmanipole
dicecca112
Bio-Hazard
sbohdan
snowking03
werewolfdaddy
tomato
pcrobot
Flux
Dragon_Cooler
InFuZiOn
bigblockmatt
grunt
hainer36
Razorbacx
werty316
novicegamer
Augestflex
Camride
Nightblood
KnightRid
cadaveca
DMB2000uk
Zenphic
grimlet

Razorbacx I still need your folding ID
Last edited by dicecca112 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
snowking03
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by snowking03 »

Haha I love that my other computer has still been folding for a forever ;)

18th ranked. Now i need to get the rest of the systems going.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Werewolfdaddy is ranked #18 for us
jtleon
Legit User
Legit User

Fantastic! Only Legit Reviews offers such opportunities

Post by jtleon »

I look forward to the world of Folding with ATI! :)
Regards,
jtleon
Iwill DH800 - Xeon SL74T LVs @ 3.5Ghz - Mushkin 2Gb ES @ FSB233 - Gainward 7800GS+ 512Mb
AMS 460W XPS - 100% 3D Stable to 85°F (30°C) Ambient
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm so on this like white on rice.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I'm gonna ask that you guys post your user ID for F@H. Just so we can all keep tabs o nt he competition :mrgreen:

for me its you guessed it dicecca112
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

just a word of advice to everyone... be sure to get your systems running ASAP as you'll want to turn in work units the second the clock clicks midnight on the 10th and the only way to do that is to get your systems up and folding!
Jarlax
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jarlax »

This is a really great contest. I admit that I do not currently fold but I have been planning to build a new machine and turn the old one into a dedicated folding machine. I will not be able to do it in time for this contest but that is neither here nor there.

Great contest idea and great prizes.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Jarlax, Still feel free to start folding and by the next folding related contest I'm sure you'll have the new rig up and running!
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

Ah, highest points per CPU? Highest point in total?
With the 2 slow computers that I have I already know that I lost, that's for sure :p
I'll make one of them fold for LG nonethless. GL HF!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

got friends? Get them to fold. Go for highest points.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

my folding ID is Bubba069
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

count me on this one.

just switched teams. my FOH is dukeman.

i will figure out how to run two instances on my 165 when i get home.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

any issues don't hesitate to contact me.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Nice contest, but prizes will go to those with F@H farms... no chance for the little guy this time, I'm afraid :? ...I will have to pass :( But good luck to those who enter ;)
"Who' doing what now?"
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

not true
The Grand Prize will be the ATI Radeon X1950XTX and will be given to the folder that has the highest points per per CPU. To find this score we will take total points divided by the number of CPU's folding under that account. To win this graphics card you'll have to worry about having the most powerfull systems running under your name and not the number of machines. The grand prize retails for $479.99!!!

The runner up prize will be the ATI Radeon X1900XT 256MB graphics card and will be given to the member who has the highest point total during the contest. This prize retails for $279.99!!
now say you produce 9K points on 4 CPUs
and say uberF@Her produces 40K on 20CPUs

You would win the x1950 over uber because your total will be 2250 per cpu and his is only 2000 per cpu.

This is actually biased towards the little guy. See you have more control over tweaking of your system so you can overclock, tweak the bejesus out of your system. and get better numbers, where as an uber guy is most likely stuck with corporate borgs or stuff that he doesn't have control over. So he's only get a best stock numbers, were yours can get much better.
Last edited by dicecca112 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'll have to give this one a shot as well........... :shock:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

tomato wrote:Nice contest, but prizes will go to those with F@H farms... no chance for the little guy this time, I'm afraid :? ...I will have to pass :( But good luck to those who enter ;)
I took this thought to heart and that is why the grand prized is based off points per CPU and not the total number of points!

For example...

If I have 5 CPU's and fold 50,000 points this month that would equal 10,000 points per CPU.

If another person had 1 CPU and folded 10,200 points for the month they would win the grand prize as it's points per processor.

Like Dicecca112 said this is biased to the small guy for the grand prize, but I did it that way so individuals like you would want to fold! The person with the most points period will walk away with the X1900XT 256MB graphics card and yes, that will likely go to someone with a folding farm or a ton of friends.