October 2006 Forum Contest - Folding For ATI Radeon GPU's

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
Jisamaniac
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jisamaniac »

Done time to run it!
novicegamer
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by novicegamer »

Count me in thanks
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Apoptosis wrote:Come to the dark side and bring your 737 points a day to LR... hehe Why rank 925th when you can be in the top 10 here? ;)
That would be 890 as of now, just added an X2 4800. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm using a lot of CPUs though, and still folding for team 11108. But I'm still helping beat cancer's ass, so it's all good.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Augestflex
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Improving performance

Post by Augestflex »

Hello,

I am in as Augestflex. I was wondering, does anyone have any tips/suggestions for improving performance for F@H? Such as system tweaks, etc.

If it helps, I am running an AMD X2 4200 and have 2GB of RAM. My video card is an Nvidia, so I don't think I can use it to contribute, however I would like to improve the amount I contribute if possible. I am gone for 10 hrs a day at work, and after counting in sleep, I probably only use my comp for 4-5 hrs a day, so it would make since to have the majority of the time doing F@H as efficient as possible.

Thanks,

Augestflex
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

Ok, I'm in. My name is, you guessed it, Camride. I still show up under EOC's folding team, but when I get home I wil change that. I thought about using some of the computers ar work to set up a farm, but unfortuantly I can't connect to the F@H server at work. It's pretty dissapointing that they would block something like that. Anyway, I'm just going to shoot for the single best individual score with my C2D system at home. I haven't been using it for much of anything lately except recording some tv, so it should run pretty well.

Anyway, I'll get it setup when I get home from work. So you guys should see me on your team around 5pm EST. :) This should be fun!
~Camride~

MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCTS

Ci7 920, EVGA X58 SLI LE, 12GB OCZ Platinum 1333, eVGA 8800GT Superclock, Enermax Liberty 500W, Acer 22" LCD, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

Im in

Nightblood
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Improving performance

Post by Apoptosis »

Augestflex wrote:Hello,

I am in as Augestflex. I was wondering, does anyone have any tips/suggestions for improving performance for F@H? Such as system tweaks, etc.

If it helps, I am running an AMD X2 4200 and have 2GB of RAM. My video card is an Nvidia, so I don't think I can use it to contribute, however I would like to improve the amount I contribute if possible. I am gone for 10 hrs a day at work, and after counting in sleep, I probably only use my comp for 4-5 hrs a day, so it would make since to have the majority of the time doing F@H as efficient as possible.

Thanks,

Augestflex
Augustflex,

Things like running the console version will improve output versus the graphical client. On a dual-core processor you can also run two console clients at the same time, so both cores will run one instance (doubling output). Other than that overclocking the PC would also increase output as the frequency of the CPU would help fold those proteins faster! Reducing memory timings would even help if possible.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Oh nice!!! Sux I am giving one of my folding computers to a needy family from my wifes work, but that is more rewarding than a few points i guess :)

I will thorw my name in, but I dont think I will be close to winning this one - fastest cpu is the 3000+ :(

fold fold fold!!!!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Please check the 3rd post to see if your name is in the hat for the folding contest. Those who did not post a Folding ID were addressed at the bottom. Please get that to me ASAP. If anyone would like where the stand as to production right now, PM me, I can provide you with the info
cadaveca
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cadaveca »

LOL... :evil: so I can't enter? :mrgreen: building a new rig today...could fold for Legit!
- Intel E6600 @ 3.33ghz -AIR - Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 @ 5-5-5-15 555.5mhz - X1900CF, X1900XTX 774/774 - Ageia PhysX P1 -
AMD X2 4400+ @ 2.64ghz Stock AIR-Cooled - Mushkin XP4000 REDLINE 2GB X1800XL
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

cadaveca wrote:LOL... :evil: so I can't enter? :mrgreen: building a new rig today...could fold for Legit!
Hey be my guest. Just PM me with its ID, and I'll add it.

Also there are two folders that I believe are for the contest, but there IDs were not posted in the thread. If you guys want credit, you gotta get them to me. Check the third post to see if I added you, if i haven't let me know. I either missed or you forgot to add your ID.
Augestflex
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Improving performance

Post by Augestflex »

Thanks for the tips. When I get home I will give this a shot. Is there something special you neeed to do to assign a different process to a specific core?

Thanks,

Augestflex
Apoptosis wrote:
Augestflex wrote:Hello,

Thanks,

Augestflex
Augustflex,

Things like running the console version will improve output versus the graphical client. On a dual-core processor you can also run two console clients at the same time, so both cores will run one instance (doubling output). Other than that overclocking the PC would also increase output as the frequency of the CPU would help fold those proteins faster! Reducing memory timings would even help if possible.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

if you do a dual instance it will do it itself. If you do a single instance it will balance it between the two I believe. Been a while since i've done a single on a dual core chip. There are programs out there that will let you choose.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

On dual cores if you are only running one instance it will run only on one core leaving the other core to run other apps, at least it does on my 4200......;)
grimlet
Legit User
Legit User

Post by grimlet »

I am in and regesterd on the team for F@H
ZhengHe
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ZhengHe »

Well, no point in entering this contest since I'm still building my new rig. Good luck to everyone else though and I'm hitting myself for not being done sooner :ANAL:.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

list updated 26 total users. But I still need Razorbacx's ID
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

ZhengHe wrote:Well, no point in entering this contest since I'm still building my new rig. Good luck to everyone else though and I'm hitting myself for not being done sooner :ANAL:.
I'm tossing in an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro out of our private stash to do a random drawing open to all folders. So, even if you fold one WU this month you'll be entered. This way EVERY person has a chance to win something.
cadaveca
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cadaveca »

That's awesome.
- Intel E6600 @ 3.33ghz -AIR - Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 @ 5-5-5-15 555.5mhz - X1900CF, X1900XTX 774/774 - Ageia PhysX P1 -
AMD X2 4400+ @ 2.64ghz Stock AIR-Cooled - Mushkin XP4000 REDLINE 2GB X1800XL
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

Apoptosis wrote:I'm tossing in an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro out of our private stash to do a random drawing open to all folders. So, even if you fold one WU this month you'll be entered. This way EVERY person has a chance to win something.
SWEEET!!!!