Question............??

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Question............??

Post by Bio-Hazard »

What year did everyone get their first computer and what was it? I did this on a different forum and some of the answers were pretty interesting (and funny)................ :twisted:

I got my first PC over in Germany in 1984 (I think) the mind fades when you start getting old........... :shock: I was a Intel 8088 no name with dual 5 1/4 drives, no HD, those were for servers then........... :) Mono graphics (green screen). Everyone was standing in line when 4 color CGA came out onto the market. And if you had the money to get a HD, you were top of the high tech geeks, a 10 or 20 meg HD went a long way........never thought you could fill one up.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I don't even remember what it was called, but it was from Radio Shack, you used a cassette recorder to load things, and i thought the baseball game you could play was the bomb
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

My first one was around 1986, a Commodore 64, from the second edition. It lasted pretty long, and I remember one of my PC-XT owning friends dropping in to play on my C64...He stared a bit on the all-blue loading screen (cassette loading of course), and asked, holding the joystick: "Okay, what do I do now?"

My first PC came in 1993, 386DX40, with a math coprocessor! wheee :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The first PC that I used was my parents (Back in the mid 1980's kids didn't have one right off the bat). It was an IBM Clone powered by an Intel 8088 processor that was at 4.77Mhz. The 8088 was actually the second x86 processor for those who didn't know. I'm not 100% sure but I think it had 64kb of memory and a 5MB hard drive.

I was high class (unlike bio up there) because I had a 5MB hard drive... :butthead:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

LOL...........Back then I was just a poor Sgt in the Army with a wife and 2 kids................ :shock: Was kind of hard saving up for computer stuff........... 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

all good bro no explanation needed. I remember the people with a hard drive thought they were cool because they didn't have to run dual 5.25" drives... Remember when 5/10MB hard drives used to be "big" now we got 300GB drives.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The first computer i ever had was a C64 i think we got it in 1982. My brothers and i shared it until my dad bought an Mac Plus with 1 meg of ram. After that my first PC was no name 486DX with a 2x CD rom drive that used the old caddies. CD rom technology was so new that we were the only family in my school with a CD rom drive, so my whole class took a field trip to my house so we could see the original Groliers encyclopedia. i think that was the last new computer i ever got, since then i have been piecing together systems from old parts or buying new parts for behind the curve to save $$.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I still remember when the first IDE HD came out................As soon as I read about them I started saving.................It took like half a year to get the money together............. :shock:
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

infinitevalence wrote:The first computer i ever had was a C64 i think we got it in 1982. My brothers and i shared it until my dad bought an Mac Plus with 1 meg of ram. After that my first PC was no name 486DX with a 2x CD rom drive that used the old caddies. CD rom technology was so new that we were the only family in my school with a CD rom drive, so my whole class took a field trip to my house so we could see the original Groliers encyclopedia. i think that was the last new computer i ever got, since then i have been piecing together systems from old parts or buying new parts for behind the curve to save $$.
Haha that's nice, taking a field trip to your house to see your computer... :lol:

I'm the only one in my school with a water-cooled computer, but yet again I am also one of very few that builds computers in my area. We should take a field trip to my house :D

My first computer that I used was probably back like 8-10 years, I remember playing Cannon Fodder at my cousin's house, and the shareware version of Doom was awesome. I was just a youngin' back then :lol: My first computer in my room was a Pentium Pro (like inbetween a P2 and P3 or something; if anyone knows more info tell me about them). Then I got a P4 1.5GHz and some new RAM called "DDR" and that was top of the line :roll:
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Well, when you say computer, well, I got my first computer back in 1985(6). It was an Atari 2600. I'm sure I had a digital watch somewhere in there too. :P Before you say, "That ain't a computer!" Well, it is. A computer is something that accepts input, processes data, stores data, and produces output. ... and it does just that. But I'm sure you all know that! :D I'm just being an ass! hehe

On the other hand if you're talking about a personal computer, I got my first one I believe in 1989 or 1990. It had like a 100MB HDD and I remember when we got some program that would "double" that... lol. I've used all of those old school computer in the past too. School was too cheap to buy new, so we had to use them from time to time.
Last edited by NAiLs on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

pentium pro was after the p1 and before the p2 pilot was a very interesting processor kinda cool too since it was the first desktop to have the l2 cache run at full speed :)

my first comp was a c64 with an ton of games as it was a hand me down :)
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Xerxes wrote:pentium pro was after the p1 and before the p2 pilot was a very interesting processor kinda cool too since it was the first desktop to have the l2 cache run at full speed :)

my first comp was a c64 with an ton of games as it was a hand me down :)
let me tell you, that pentium pro never froze on me :D very stable
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

I don't really remember what year it was but I started on a Commadore Vic 20, which was pre 64. Then we did buy a C 64 and I remember programming games for that thing from code listed in magazines. I made a pretty cool football game and an asteroids like game. After the 64 we went to some off brand 286 that was normally 8Mhz but if you hit the turbo button it doubled your speed and took you all the way to 16Mhz. To this day, I still don't understand the need for that turbo button. Why in the hell would you not run the pc at 16Mhz the whole time??? The modem we were connecting to the Internet through Compuserve was 2400 baud or something not much more than that. We were blazin at the time, that pc cost us about 5 grand brand new. Whew that took every last brain cell to remember back that far!
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

well, my first rig, yeah 286, the old days.... where you could count the CPU pins on ur fingers and not need a fridge to cool them... good rig, ran at 4mhz and 8mhz when put into turbo mode.... isnt that something you miss nowadays... turbo mode... *sigh*
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Question............??

Post by T-Shirt »

Bio-Hazard wrote:I got my first PC over in Germany in 1984 (I think) the mind fades when you start getting old........... :shock: I was a Intel 8088 no name with dual 5 1/4 drives, no HD, those were for servers then........... :) Mono graphics (green screen). Everyone was standing in line when 4 color CGA came out onto the market. And if you had the money to get a HD, you were top of the high tech geeks, a 10 or 20 meg HD went a long way........never thought you could fill one up.
That sounds very familiar.
I received a gift from my father-in-law, a year old IBM XT computer he bought from his lab at Lockheed (he was doing stress analysis of the original space shuttle tiles) about the same time (maybe the year or 2 before) when they upgraded
it had 640k ram (most were 512k then) a 2 meg AboveBoard©® (expanded memory) a top of the line Hercules CGA graphics card (which meant multi color text at 40,80,a 132 chariters per line plus crude ASCII pictures) a 10 meg HD (doulbled on a 5 meg disk, but the fastest out there), 2-5.25 360k floppies (the entire O/S and most programs ran on one, or in my case with the HD the boot disk),a mono sound card (for the beeps and boops) and assorted cards for floppy and HD controllers plus Serial and parallel (then call Printer port)
Plus a blazing fast 300 baud modem.
what it didn't have was a monitor ($400) though it could output a composite picture to TV (sort of :roll: )or any instructions and computer stores were rare in those days
He told me, Lockheed (actually NASA) had paid slightly more than $11,000 for the hardware 1 year before!!!
And a pile of software (DOS 1.03 on up (1.1 was the first public release), I still have the original Windows 1.4 disks (5-360k k disks) which featured color text and color bar backgrounds (your choice of two)which hardly worked, even very slowly. (yes, it was very slow, even back then)
it was a big upgrade from my atari 2600, but a long way from where we are today
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

turbo was for programs that werent made right, for instance try playing some really old games on a new comp, you cant even see what happens cuz they go so fast :) same thing could happen back then too
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

my first comp was a hand-me-down from my dad... An intel 486/SX... 33MHz.

I swapped out the processor... put in a 486/DX... which gave me 66MHz! I also upgraded the memory to like 16MB and bought a 2.1GB Hard Drive!... never thought I could fill that one up either. :)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook