Is it important HOW you connect things?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Is it important HOW you connect things?

Post by cyberneticimplant »

Alright, this is somewhat of a stupid question, but is it important how you connect the power inside your case.

There are several power cables coming from the PSU. I tied all of them into a bundle, and left one out that I used to connect everything to keep things neat. Does this way of connecting put more strain on the PSU? Should use an individual cable for each device, or is it the same as connecting everything to one cable and tucking all the unused cables away?

Sorry, I'm not sure how PSU work.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It depends really.... a couple years ago it did not matter at all... There was one +12V rail and every connector came off the same rail, so it didn't matter what you used. Today with many power supplies have 4 or more rails it does matter, but it's hard to know what rails go to what wire looms. Many PSU's like the Silverstone Zeus label what 12V rail is which, (12V1 or 12V2 for example) but others like the Thermaltake Toughpower list it in the owners manual.

Spread it out the best you can, but if you can't figure it out I wouldn't worry too much about it. It shouldn't be a problem unless you're at the max of your PSU.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

the other thing that could cause troble is.
some (particularly no-name/cheap PSU's) use very thin wire on the output leads, and when the arey really loaded down they get warm, the hotter they get the less well they conduct.
You can imagine this vicious cycle could cause serious problems.( even without fire low voltage can cause error or damage some components)
I'd split them up as evenly as possible
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

If you have the cables from the Power supply, then by all means use an individual cable for each device. While the size of the Power supply does matter, the individulal wire going to each device also matters as it can only carry so many amps. Piggy backing one lead onto another and another from just one output wire from the Power supply will cause problems