Sneak Peak - Ultra Products 2000W ATX Power Supply

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sneak Peak - Ultra Products 2000W ATX Power Supply

Post by Apoptosis »

Ultra Products, a global leader in technology solutions, today announces that it will unveil the world’s first 2000W ATX Power Supply Unit for the PC at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. We bring you some of the first available pictures of this beast and take a closer look at the number of rails and Amps that this power supply can handle!

With the +12V rail being rated at 1800W that means it can handle an amazing 150A load! To put this into perspective, NVIDIA's power hungry 8800GTX DirectX 10 compliant graphics cards uses ~30A. If one was to run a pair of 8800GTX graphics cards in SLI it would double to roughly 60A, which leaves another 90A available to use up on the Ultra X3 Modular 2000W PSU.
Article Title: Sneak Peak - Ultra Products 2000W ATX Power Supply
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/436/1/
DIGG URL: CLICK HERE

If you liked this article please be sure to DIGG IT and support the site and community!
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

PC Power and Cooling's 1kw PSU uses a single rail design and its still 499.99.

Also doesn't he kind of shoot down his own product when he talks about how most people don't need this much power and alot of houses cant even handle it. Is he not trying to sell these things?
Last edited by HONkUS on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

HONkUS wrote:PC Power and Cooling's 1kw PSU uses a single rail design and its still 499.99.
It's only 72A too -- this thing is 150A on the +12V rail! Wonder if this will come with a 5 year warranty like the PC Power & Cooling model.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

yeah thats pretty crazy I am worried about the build quality of the thing though. "ULTRA" isnt exactly synonymous with "Quality"
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

i wonder how long this will take to blow up and take everything in your system :P

i honestly dont trust ultra products one bit
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Yeah I don't have proof but on black friday I saw a number of people walking out of Fry's with a discontinued ULTRA case/PSU combo that only did 8 amps on the 12v rail, they were selling them for 20 bucks and alot of ignorant people bought them it was scary.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I can't say anything about ultra, as I have never had any of their stuff.

Me, I can't get passed the 2,000w part. I know that the new 8800's draw a lot of power but enough to require a 2000w PSU.

I guess I just dont understand how PSU's work but I just dont see the need for 2000w.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

2000 Watts, WOW! If this trend continues you're going to need a Nuclear Reactor to power your Machine
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

bubba wrote:I can't say anything about ultra, as I have never had any of their stuff.

Me, I can't get passed the 2,000w part. I know that the new 8800's draw a lot of power but enough to require a 2000w PSU.

I guess I just dont understand how PSU's work but I just dont see the need for 2000w.
Lets put it this way, i can power 5 of my systems with that.

its hard to believe that 150A rating. Those are some pretty strong Caps if it is indeed that strong.
jonnyGURU
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jonnyGURU »

HONkUS wrote:Yeah I don't have proof but on black friday I saw a number of people walking out of Fry's with a discontinued ULTRA case/PSU combo that only did 8 amps on the 12v rail....
You don't have proof because you're incorrect. :)

Ultra never has had any power supply at any price point with only 8A on the 12V rail. Not in this century at least. 8)
dicecca112 wrote: its hard to believe that 150A rating. Those are some pretty strong Caps if it is indeed that strong.
More like, "more caps." :shock: 10.25" is still huge.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

dicecca112 wrote:Lets put it this way, i can power 5 of my systems with that.
same here, I just got to the point of getting a 380W.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

jonny, welcome. Good to see you around here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

And for those that don't know Jon works for Ultra, so he is in the know!
jonnyGURU
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jonnyGURU »

I'm the self proclaimed schlub. ;)

And I do agree it's overkill. An OC'd 4000+ w/ two 7800GTX's runs fine here w/ a 600W PSU in it, and the Quad Father with a pair of 8800GTS cards runs with a 700W just fine (but not a 600W I found out!)

EDIT: Dude.. why don't you have a wink emoticon? LOL!

EDIT II:
UPDATE: Ultra doesn't expect this power supply to cost more than US $499!
I think you meant to say "cost around $499?" Am I right? Just sounds weird.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jonnyGURU wrote:
UPDATE: Ultra doesn't expect this power supply to cost more than US $499!
I think you meant to say "cost around $499?" Am I right? Just sounds weird.
LOL
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

From an e-mail of a reader:
This power supply will trip breakers! Since 120 Vrms (assuming the upper range of typical North American power systems) times 15 amps (the typical circuit breaker) gives you 1800 watts (rms). So unless Ultra is quoting peak values (which is sneaky and reminds me of those $20 "500W" computer speaker systems), getting 2 kW off of one wall outlet is rather unlikely.
Reminds me of an article I published last month telling people to upgrade to a 20 Amp breaker and wire.... remember this picture:

another great comment:
I don't know about you guys, but if I'd be concerned about the electric bill with a system built around this! Assuming the CPU, GPU, drives came close to the 2kW max, at about $0.08 per kilowatt hour, that's $0.16/hr, or $3.84/day, or $115.20 a month!!!
or
This is so stupid, it kills me! Let's say you get like 1000 W stable out of this Monster... that's 1 kWh. You play for four hours per day, that equals 4kWh/d. Per year that's 365d*(4kWh/d)=1460 kWh. According to a big German electricity provider (http://www.enbw.com/content/de/der_konz ... /index.jsp) about 260 grams CO2 per kWh are blown into the atmosphere each kWh they produce... that means you ******* blow

0.26kg*1460kWh = 379.6kg

roughly 380 kg CO2 into the air each year just for your power sucking monster PC! Keep in mind that that's for four hours a day, it's six times this amount if you leave it running 24/7.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Now, If they would just up the voltge output to between 28-32 volts DC I could get rid of both of my Miller welders and use this for my low end welding needs. So long mig/stick- Hello Ultra x3

Then again, maybe I can use my welders to run my PC. Hmmmmmm.

Lets see my one welder puts out 350 amps dc at about 28 volts. Little conversion and bingo.

Fogeys custom mod power supply. 900 amps of pure DC power on 2/0 copper cable with 60 c rating. One can game while one welds or surfs the internet. You'll never have to worry any longer about the whine of case fans or HDD chatter over the welder. This custom power supply comes with it's own water cooling system to boot. I see potential here!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Fogey wrote:................I see potential here!
NO I foresee something totally different ;)

Someone dial 91........and hold your finger over the 1 again just in case he tries this LOL
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

yeah, but the weld splatter would mees up the LCD..
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

2000w = ridiculous!! I could run my Civic off that beast no problem!
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble