Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

D975XBX2 problems with install/set-up

Post by srt »

Hi,
I just got through trying to install a totally new system on an Intel
blkd975xbx2kr . This is with a wd raptor 150gb sata hdd,plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 2 gb crucial ballistix ddr2, inte e6600 core2,geeforce 8800 vid card, sony floppy drive. It wont boot!! Tried the sata connectors using "black" connectors on the board and got
Marvell 88SE61xx Controller - BIOS Version 1.1.0.17

Adaptor 1

Arrays Information:
No Array is defined!

Disk Information:
No Hard Disk is defined!

Press <Ctrl> + <M> to enter Marvel RAID BIOS Configuration or Press <Space> to Continue
That is reported in another thread, I also tried the blue connectors and the plextor and raptor are identified- - but it then goes on to request bootable disk. I tried win xp which comes up with a blue screen and to check harddrive. This occurrs if I use either sata connectors of the board.
I also have no luck loading through the floppy! Ive set the bios to default and disabled the network as that gave another type of error about media test failure! I dont want a raid set-up so what do I do? any advice appreciated as I am really sick of this-- maybe I should have stuck with asus :)
Stuart.
Gero
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Gero »

Your BadAx2 board has 2 RAID controllers, Intel & Marvel. The Marvel ports are the set with blue sockets. The Intel has black ones. Between the two controllers, which can both function at the same time; you have 8 SATA ports. Pretty much, you can configure any combination of RAIDed drives and JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks)(in other words, NonRAID). While I use a Terrabyte on RAID 5 on my BadAx2 and have never setup a single drive; here is what I think you should do. [1] - In BIOS make sure RAID is turned OFF and [2] - Secondary RAID controller is disabled. [3] - Use the first port of the Intel Matrix RAID (the black ones). SATA-0 is the port closest to the corner of the main board. They are numbered counter-clockwise from there. While there are a number of other BIOS settings to get right, this should get your drive recognized. Don't forget that to get the full capacity of your drive to be recognized, you will need to start your XP load with SP2.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Gero is right on track. Ensure that, in BIOS

Advanced -> Drive Configuration:
Use Auto Mode = Disabled
Use SATA = Enabled
ATA/IDE Mode = Native
Configure SATA As = AHCI (this will allow you to use NCQ etc)

Disable the Marvel RAID Controller (Advanced -> Periphreal Configuration -> Secondary SATA Controller = Disabled) Note that this will cause the HDD LED to remain constantly lit however.

I would guess that since you are using an SATA DVD that you should disable the Primary PATA interface as well (although I have seen a thread about this slowing down the boot process slightly)

Ensure that you use the F6 method and install the drivers for the Intel ICH7R (not the marvel RAID disk) and select the AHCI (not RAID) driver when presented the list from the driver disk.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi guys,
Well I did alter things a little as you advised and I want to say a very big thanks cos its actualy loaded xp:) I did find a few differences though as it did not seem to like the AHCI setting so I used IDE and at least its working.
Theres a number of things I have to do which will involve the sp2 version of xp. I dont have sp2 on disk but I do have it saved on this pc. Can I copy that over and format the hd to benefit from using full extent of the raptor capacity? I also cant get the network/lan working yet either but theres a little time and your extra advice DaddyRabbit wil be tried too. Thanks for your time and help- - - I`prolly be back soon :)
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

If you have access to Acronis or Ghost you can:

1. Get a good stable XP SP2 install on the Raptor in a <137G partition
2. Set the BIGLBA registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters
DWORD key name is "EnableBigLba"
Value=dword:00000001
3. Use Acronis TrueImage or Ghost to image the disk to a different disk or DVD/CD (you can use high compression so the image won't be huge)4. Restore the image to the Raptor, resizing the partitions to max out the Raptors partition size.

I did this with my Seagate 320 using a USB External HD and it worked like a champ. It has the additional advantage of giving you a good "baseline" install image if things go bad.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

"Advanced -> Drive Configuration:
Use Auto Mode = Disabled
Use SATA = Enabled
ATA/IDE Mode = Native
Configure SATA As = AHCI (this will allow you to use NCQ etc)"

Just to say, I have used Auto mode ,ATA/IDE = Native, Tried to configuire sata as AHCI but it wont post!
Getting by with IDE only. The drivers installed are:intel(r)82801g(ich7 family)ultra ata storage controllers-27df
intel(r)82801gb/gr/gh(ich7 family)ultra ata storage controller-27co
Secondary SATA Controller = Disabled)
Its running ok,That all seem acceptable?
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Stuart,

Running in IDE is fine if NCQ and/or hot swap is not a concern. The previously posted method of gaining the full size of the Raptor works fine either way (I actually installed in IDE mode and did the Acronis image thing before installing the AHCI drivers from device manager).

I installed the AHCI drivers to help a poster in another forum identify an issue but have noted no "real world" performance difference so IMHO running with SATA set to IDE mode should be just fine.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi- Thanks DaddyRabbit,
I am not too worried about the present circumstances as everything is running ok ( I dont seem to have any AHCI drivers anyway- I got two Marvel floppys in my intel box!).
With regard to the imaging of hard drive, I have a WD mybook premium external hd so is it possible to copy with the wd software? Thanks.
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Hi- Thanks DaddyRabbit,
I am not too worried about the present circumstances as everything is running ok ( I dont seem to have any AHCI drivers anyway- I got two Marvel floppys in my intel box!).
With regard to the imaging of hard drive, I have a WD mybook premium external hd so is it possible to copy with the wd software? Thanks.
Stuart.
I don't know if the WD software will make a "clone image" boot sector and all of the disk which is what you need to do. With Acronis you can boot from a CD you create and make a disk image to the External WD drive however. I'm not familiar with the WD software though and it may allow you to clone the disk partition.

The downloadable version of Acronis is $31.90 from the Egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 81528708SF
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi DaddyRabbit,
I did the "EnableBiglba" I think - - that was to set a new key with the new value- which gave me a "legacy detection reg_dword 0x0000000 (1).
That correct?
I have cloned the hard drive but am not sure how I go about restoring as you say. Is that "Add new disk" in the acronis options.
If so I get disk 1 139.7gb ide (0) secondary master
and
disk 2 232.9gb usb
I dont know if that looks correct but can you advise please.Need leading step by step on this :) Thanks.
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Stuart,

The following key should be in the registry in this path. I think the "legacy_detection" is a different key.

If the key is not there copy the text between the dashed lines into a text file, save it with a .reg extension and double click it and it will add the value to the registry.

------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]

"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001
-------

Once you're SURE that the key is in the registry if it was there before you made the image then fine, if not re-image the Raptor to the USB drive.

NOTE: there is a "Check Image" option in Acronis. Run that against the .TIB file on the USB to verify the image is good before proceeding!!!

Also, if you did a Clone vs Creating an image you won't have a TIB file on the external but that would've taken out any data on the USB and made a 137G copy on the USB (which should be a bootable duplicate of your existing install).

There should be four options in the Acronis main menu

1. Backup (this will create an image in the form of a *.TIB file)
2. Recovery (allows you to restore from a TIB file and entire disk or just a file)
3. Clone (this makes an exact copy of a hard disk to another disk)
4. Add New Disk (this allows you to partition and format a new disk)

On the left You'll see:

1. Manage Acronis Secure Zone (a hidden partition for scheduled backups)
2. Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (never used it)
3. Check Archive (ALWAYS use this after an image is made!)
4. Manage System Restore (never used this)
5. Create Bootable Rescue Media (This makes a bootable CD with Acronis on it)

The first thing to do is to "Create Bootable Rescue Media" and boot from that CD you created to make sure it boots.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "Clone" previously. If you did a "Clone" to the External then I hope there was no unrecoverable data on it. Using the clone option will destroy any data on the destination drive and make an exact copy of the source drive. If you look at the external in Windows it's probably got one <137G partition on it now so, at some point, it will need to be re-partitioned and re-formatted :(

The process should be:

1. Create the bootable rescue media
2. After ensuring that the "Source Disk" is setup the way you want and "EnableBigLBA" is in the registry shutdown and reboot from the rescue media you created in step 1 ensuring that the external disk is plugged in and powered on.
3. Use the "Backup" Selection in Acronis main menu selecting:
- Next at the Create Backup Wizard screen
- Select "The Entire Disk Contents or Individual Partition
- Check the box next to the disk you wish to image ( usually C: ) this is the "Source Disk"
- Click OK at the incremental/Differential/Full backup notice (we will use Full for this image
- Now it will ask for an image file name. Here you will select the drive letter of the external USB and enter a filename (e.g. FullBackup-01142006) It will automatically put the .TIB extension in.
- Select "Create New Full Backup Archive"
- Use the default options
- You can enter a descrition of the backup here
- The last screen tells you what is going to be done. The biggie here is to ensure the source and destination disks are correct.

Acronis will do it's thing and create an image file. When it's done do not reboot yet.

Select to "Check Archive" and point to the TIB file and let it verify the image is good.

You can now use the "Add New Disk" to blow away any partitions on the Raptor (NOTE this will wipe out any data on the target disk, MAKE sure youur image is good or you will have to re-install from scratch!!!!

4) Select "Add New Disk" and Next
- Highlight the Raptor
- Select "Delete Partitions On The Destination Hard Disk"
- You should now see the full capacity of the Raptor as "Unallocated" space and the "create New Partition In Unallocated Space box should be checked. NOTE AGAIN: Make Sure you want to do this before proceeding! click Next...
- Highlight the Unallocated Space and next. These sttings are preference but I would select NTFS click Next
- Select Primary Partition click Next
- It eill default to maximum size click Next
- Enter a label for the new disk click Next
- You should now have a new partition that is the full size of the Raptor Click Next
- Read my previous notes about making SURE you have a good image!!!
- Click Proceed.

At this point I would reboot from the Rescue Media again ensuring the External is still plugged in and powered on.

I need to take a break, I will come back and EDIT this post with Recovery procedures in a few minutes....

Also note that I was running through Acronis IN Windows while typing this, I'm pretty sure all of the options were the same as on the Bootable Rescue Media menus though so it should all be good...
-------
EDIT
-------

To restore to the Raptor:

1) Boot from the Acronis Recovery Media CD with the USB disk plugged in and on.
2) Select Recovery and click Next
3) Browse to the External Disk and select the TIB file you created in the Backup steps and click Next
4) Select "Restore Disks or Partitions" click Next
5) Ensure you check the box next to "DISK 1" and not just the partition (this will let you re-size the destination partitions) click Next
6) Select the Raptor as the destination partition and click Next
7) Select "Yes I want to delete partitons" here and click Next
8 ) Select "No I Do Not" here and click Next
9) This screen, once again, outlines what you will be doing the important part is that under step 2 "Restoring Partitions" it states the old size -> the new size (e.g. 137 GB -> 139 GB) or whatever the sizes are. Click proceed and when done exit and remove the Acronis Recovery media and you should be booting up into Windows with the full size of the Raptor.

Acronis has saved my butt quite a few times and is my favorite backup tool. I make full images to a USB drive monthly and before any major change in software and/or hardware my images average 35G so I manually cycle out the oldest but I think version 10 allows you to automaticall rotate backups (I have version 9)

Hope this helps...
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

I think I need to verify this registry thing :oops:
In the regedit I see : "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters"
I then see an additional file attached called "EnableBiglba".
In that file I see ":ab (default) reg_sz (value not set)"
dword:00000001 reg_dword 00000000 (0)

Is that right :?
Stuart.
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Read your last post again and I think what I had before was incorrect!!
So Ive deleted that file and added the "EnableBiglba" into the actual parameters file and then added the value data via the modify box-- am I getting there :rolleyes:
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Read your last post again and I think what I had before was incorrect!!
So Ive deleted that file and added the "EnableBiglba" into the actual parameters file and then added the value data via the modify box-- am I getting there :rolleyes:
Stuart.
Correct,

Under the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters] path you should have a Key called "EnableBigLba" with a value of dword:00000001

It will look like this (dashed lines for formatting):

Name --------------------Type -------------Data

EnableBigLba --------------REG_DWORD ------0x00000001 (1)
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Just to clarify :oops: The Key called "EnableBigLba" with a value of dword:00000001 is IN the FILE named Parameters.
It shows as the fourth key down from the top.
I think I was getting confused by the reference to "Under" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters] . Which I took to mean adding a file called EnableBiglba which showed as :
Atapi
Enum
Parameters
ENABLBIGLBA- - - this being wrong?
:ANAL:
Sorry for being so dumb
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Just to clarify :oops: The Key called "EnableBigLba" with a value of dword:00000001 is IN the FILE named Parameters.
It shows as the fourth key down from the top.
I think I was getting confused by the reference to "Under" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters] . Which I took to mean adding a file called EnableBiglba which showed as :
Atapi
Enum
Parameters
ENABLBIGLBA- - - this being wrong?
:ANAL:
Sorry for being so dumb
Stuart.
No sweat, here is exactly what it should look like in regedit:
http://www.rockingeeks.com/enablebiglba.JPG
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Many thanks for that. I have that correct now.
I also made a bootdisk but it seems to hang on the starting acronis part.
Is that normal or might it just not be booting?
Sorry for more questions.
I will be signing out now as my mrs is getting irate! :roll:
Thanks.
Stuart.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Many thanks for that. I have that correct now.
I also made a bootdisk but it seems to hang on the starting acronis part.
Is that normal or might it just not be booting?
Sorry for more questions.
I will be signing out now as my mrs is getting irate! :roll:
Thanks.
Stuart.
It does boot kinda' slow, also might be a bad burn, try to make another.

Don't worry about the question, I'd rather help now and get you a good backup plan than try to help you, in a panic, recover lost data later! :yikes:

Now off to make an Acronis image before I eat my words! :evil:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi,
Back up and running with the new backup installed :)
Need to consider if things need changing a bit now to see if I cant get a bit more out of the system :|
Still not sure about running without AHCI :?
Also considering a sound card as the on board sound is not too good with the mic-- have seen that posted elsewhere.
Stuart.

BLKD975xBx2KR. WD Raptor 150gb sata hdd,plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 2 gb crucial ballistix ddr2, intel e6600 core2,geeforce 8800 vid card, sony floppy drive, Antec Phantom500+Antec P180.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Hi,
Back up and running with the new backup installed :)
Cool :)

Need to consider if things need changing a bit now to see if I cant get a bit more out of the system :|
Still not sure about running without AHCI :?
See below...
Also considering a sound card as the on board sound is not too good with the mic-- have seen that posted elsewhere.
I like my X-Fi Extreme Music...

NOTE: Ensure you have a good image/backup before trying the below!!!

Stuart, this is from a post I posted on another forum. I installed in IDE mode and later decided I wanted to "Hot-Plug" SATA devices. Below are the steps I took to enable AHCI. This might work installing the Intel RAID drivers but I'm not brave enough to try that yet <Gr>. Intel recommends installing in RAID mode even if you have just a single drive as that allows you to build a RAID set on the ICH7 later without re-installing. YMMV but I now am running fine in AHCI.

--------------------
"AHCI allows NCQ and Hot Plug for the ICH7. I updated after installing Windows in IDE mode by mistake. One thing I noticed is that, with the standard EIDE interface disabled, I got a BSOD. I never tried to boot with it disabled before doing the below before so don't know if that caused that particular issue. Doesn't matter to me because My DVD burner is EIDE so I need it enabled anyway.

Also Intel recommends setting the ICH7 to RAID mode (which, I would assume requires loading the RAID driver vs the AHCI driver in the steps below) since RAID mode also enables AHCI as well as allowing you to add RAID later without re-installing. I will not be using RAID so I just went with AHCI.

At any case I would recommend using Ghost or Acronis to image before doing any of this (good practice anyways).

I did this switch as follows (because I messed up and forgot to install in AHCI mode). (note that the REAL step 1 was to image my drive to a USB external before starting!!!) NOTE: this is with the BIOS set to what I installed as (IDE)

1. In device manager under "IDE/ATAPI controllers" I selected "Intel(R) 82801G SATA controller (I believe that was the device name, if not exact it's close), Right clicked and selected "update driver"

2. Told it not to search the Internet - Next

3. Selected "Install from a list or specific location" - Next

4. Select "Don't search I will choose a driver to install" - Next

5. Inserted Intel Raid Drivers floppy and selected "Have Disk"

6. Browsed to A: and selected the INF, then selected "Intel(R) 82801 GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller" (I think there are 2 AHCI and 2 RAID mode drivers listed, ensure you select the AHCI).

7. Let it do it's thing till it was done then IMMEDIATELY restarted going IMMEDIATELY (before Windows began to boot) into BIOS and selected AHCI mode.

8 Booted right up with the correct driver and no issues not previously noted (the PATA EIDE disabled issue). "

----------------------
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit