60%
no (connected at PS/2)
23%

Total votes: 40

Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

BX2 BIOS 2431 is out. but no info about the harddisk-led!? wtf?
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

flashed the new bios. works. "Fixed calculation and display of the nominal" seems to work here (displays the correct settings for my memory now).

hdd-led still not working (with the marvell controller disabled) and my ps/2-mouse still has issues (not recognized/initialized) after the system was powered off. ****.
progolf
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progolf »

Been waiting for this update for awhile but it’s still the same issue. No fix on the HDD and still getting the SATA controller error. :?

New Fixes/Features:
• Added Hardware Watchdog Timer feature
• Fixed display of L2 Cache in BIOS Setup for multi-core processors
• Added "HPET Enable/Disable" BIOS setup option and set default
state to "Disable"
• Fixed calculation and display of the nominal (TCL-TRCD-TRPTRASMin)
memory timing values in BIOS Setup
• Fixed issue where certain processors would not resume from standby

It’s okay because I already bought my new ASUS MOBO and I will start the build on Monday.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All

So Intel's latest BIOS release still hasn't addressed the main problems we've been having. Not good.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I got this e-mail at 3am and it explains why the BIOS LED issue hasn't been fixed...
I checked with the BIOS manager. The engineer was called off to another task and obviously did not implement the workaround for the LED issue. I don’t have a new commitment date from them, but they have agreed to generate a test BIOS.
So it seems an engineer was pulled off the project to work on something else and the others seemed to forget the problem was there...
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

did you sent them my "issues" i've sent you? if not, can you please tell me how to contact one of those guys? the email contact form for the bx2 still isn't working on their site!?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Dandruff wrote:did you sent them my "issues" i've sent you? if not, can you please tell me how to contact one of those guys? the email contact form for the bx2 still isn't working on their site!?
Dandruff,

I've passed along the URL for all these threads and many of the bugs that users have sent me via e-mail. As for passing along their contact information, I can't do that as they don't deal with the public or their customers to be honest. Intel has customer support and marketing people for that. I'm able to deal with the engineers since I have personally known them for 5 years and run LR. I'm very disappointed in the way Intel has been 'working' on the bad axe 2 issues, but there isn't much we can do other than point it out.
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

ok ;) let's see what the next update will fix ...
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Ok, got my new XBX2 installed and immediately put the latest BIOS on (2431P - from 1/11). Windows loaded like a champ and the HD light is not constantly on now. But come to think of it, I haven't seen it on at all. Will play around with it a bit more and post any goofy findings.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
mikenj
Legit User
Legit User

asus board installed

Post by mikenj »

Hi All -

Just a recap- new system build, could install XP but never get it to boot. Would always freeze at splash screen. Tried multiple bios and disk configurations, results always the same. I could boot safe mode and do anything in there, but never xp proper.

Quick specs again:

e6600
2 x Zalman ZM600-HP ATX12V 600W
2 x corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (total 4gb)
5 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
ASUS EN7600GS SILENT graphics
WinXP pro w/sp2 (msdn licensed copy, running on several other machines)

Intel swapped me a new board, same results. So I am thinking must be something in my particular combination that is throwing things off.

Anyways, got my p5w dh and swapped the xbx2 out. Windows XP installed and booted straight away. Everything is up and running just fine.

Given that I tried two different xbx2's, it's hard for me to blame the mb. I suppose the only two things I really did not switch out are the psu and memory. memtest ran fine over multiple runs, and the new asus board is running just fine.

I want to build a second system. Do I ask Intel to refund me and get another asus? Or just keep waiting trying with this xbx2? Perhaps I should change a few things on the next build, different memory etc.
boris
Legit User
Legit User

Post by boris »

Make sure that RAM timings and voltage are set correctly according to RAM specs.
In my case this MB detected my RAM (OCZ) as 1.84 V as opose to 1.95-2.1V
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

boris wrote:Make sure that RAM timings and voltage are set correctly according to RAM specs.
In my case this MB detected my RAM (OCZ) as 1.84 V as opose to 1.95-2.1V
I agree with Boris, mine does the same (1.84) with my Corsair XMS. I am only running 2 sticks so it hasn't caused any problems but maybe loading down all 4 slots was an issue in your case MikenJ? See if the defaults on the ASUS are higher.

The only real problem I had with the MB during install was during the initial file copying stage (text mode before the 1st reboot) I kept getting various copy errors (corrupt or missing files etc). I had set the RAM voltage to 1.9 something due to another post somewhere that highlighted the undervolt issue. I set it back to defaults and voila! it worked fine. Weirdest think but it's running like glass now.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

Dandruff wrote:the email contact form for the bx2 still isn't working on their site!?
finally they "unlocked" it, so we can contact them now online too ...
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Dandruff-

Where is that XBX2 email link? I resorted to sending them one from the XBX page.

Apoptosis-

I've got the XBX2 running a QX6700, and it will not boot Vista 64 (6.0.6000 build 6000) under the latest 2 BIOSes (2395 and 2431). 2333 works fine (in fact very few problems at all, mostly lack of drivers). I noticed here that 2395 added support for the Q6600, another quad core, so maybe that busted something. I found that if I disable Core Multiplexing in the BIOS that Vista 64 will boot. Here's a link to a discussion about it.

I was wondering if you could pass that info on to Intel.

Thanks-

Sean
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

seanriddle wrote:Where is that XBX2 email link?
http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-em ... ,2386,2578
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Dandruff-

Sweet. Thanks.

Sean
mikenj
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikenj »

Ok - been running for 9 days now on the asus. Migrated most of my stuff and been very stable.

Now I want to build up my second system, and I am still thinking I would like to use my xbx2. I am going to change some components around since my theory at this point is that my issues were probably a combination of my components. Probably looking at the 6300 for brains.

So... what I could really use is a recommendation on memory. I have the corsair already:

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Loooking for something different - would like 2gb total. What do you recommend for this board?

Thx.
buffycor
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

D975XBX2 motherboard (is crap)

Post by buffycor »

If you are thinking of buying this board, don't. It's a waste of money and a massive waste of time. For those of you that have had problems with this board, I sympathise. I've built several systems successfully, so I'm hardly a novice. Do I wait for a BIOS flash - again, or do I return it from whence it came with its secondary ATA controller between its legs? That is the question. The mystery PCI device disappears when the Marvel thingy is disabled, but the HDD light stays on. Intel's response? A page of checks including 'Is the monitor plugged in/switched on?', and: 'is the contrast turned down too much?' Yes, the QX6700 quad core cpu is fast, it's fast like the Bugatti Veyron is fast... with four flat tyres.

If anyone can offer a ray of hope, please do. Before I reach for the Antis-static wristband and a Recorded Delivery sticker...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: D975XBX2 motherboard (is crap)

Post by Apoptosis »

buffycor wrote:If you are thinking of buying this board, don't. It's a waste of money and a massive waste of time. For those of you that have had problems with this board, I sympathise. I've built several systems successfully, so I'm hardly a novice. Do I wait for a BIOS flash - again, or do I return it from whence it came with its secondary ATA controller between its legs? That is the question. The mystery PCI device disappears when the Marvel thingy is disabled, but the HDD light stays on. Intel's response? A page of checks including 'Is the monitor plugged in/switched on?', and: 'is the contrast turned down too much?' Yes, the QX6700 quad core cpu is fast, it's fast like the Bugatti Veyron is fast... with four flat tyres.

If anyone can offer a ray of hope, please do. Before I reach for the Antis-static wristband and a Recorded Delivery sticker...
We have a working BIOS that fixes a couple of the current issues... Stay tuned for a release date.
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: D975XBX2 motherboard (is crap)

Post by Dandruff »

buffycor wrote:but the HDD light stays on
this thing will be fixed with the next bios-update! just got a test-version and can confirm that they have fixed it finally!