Upgraded from XP 1600 to XP 3200, now games crash

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

I tried stepping the fsb all the way down to 190 and it still crashes in game. So from the tests I've done so far, I think I'm going to rma the mobo, since my processor and memory work fine in another exact same a7n8x. I'll let you guys know if that turns out to be the culprit. Thanks for all your help btw. and now I'm hooked on these forums!
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

I received my new mobo. It's an a7n8x-e deluxe instead of a straight a7n8x deluxe. I'm having problems with it. I hooked everything up and it would power up and get to the bios splash screen and then power off. I tried disconnecting everything except the video card and the floppy and it still does the same thing. When it does power off the power led stay on on the mobo and the case but everthing else loses power. It's like it is shutdown but the power led on the case is still getting power from the mobo. A couple times I have been able to boot to windows but it gets a blue screen, then it powers off in the same fashion. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't updated with the latest bios so I tried doing that. In the middle of updating the bios(actually after it found the bin file but before it started clearing the cmos and flashing the new bios) it powered off again. I'm using the same 550w power supply I was previously. Any ideas or something I could try?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

You can try a different power supply, they do go bad from time to time and when they start failing they do very strange things.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Oh, I forgot to add...whenever it shuts off I have to completely take power away from the power supply in order to turn it back on.

I will try another power supply, thanks.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

infinitevalence wrote:You can try a different power supply, they do go bad from time to time and when they start failing they do very strange things.
PSU is what it sounds like to me also.......... 8) 1 weak rail is all it takes to screw things up.
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Geuss What?!! I'm an idiot....
I had the heat sink on backwards!
Thanks bliSSter for noticing that!

Thanks for your help guys! ... at least I got a new mobo out of it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

All I can say is I am amazed by how smart our forum members are. Illuminati called your problem correctly just hours after your original post back on Aug 23...
the last thing I can think of is that the heatsink is not quite sitting on the cpu correctly...
Great Job Illuminati! (not sure why nexes didn't check that back on Aug 23rd though)
Nexes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nexes »

Actually I didn't pay any attention to the fact that the bottom of the heat sink wasnt completely flat and part of it sitting on the cpu holder...
I need to pay closer attention to the simple things.

Thanks Illuminati!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

You're welcome... we have all made those subtle mistakes... and we will all make them again sometime.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook