The Antec P150 Case Will Not Fit Geforce 8800GTX Video Cards

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Antec P150 Case Will Not Fit Geforce 8800GTX Video Cards

Post by Apoptosis »

Well I run my personal system in an Antec P150 as I like the small size, suspended hard drives and sound deadened side panels. It truly is a quite case now that I put in the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU and new fans...

I'm doing some benchmarking on my fresh install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit and figured it was time to upgrade my XFX GeForce 7900GTX to the XFX GeForce 8800GTX graphics card, so I tore apart my system...

At first I thought it was hitting my hard drives so I unplugged them all... Then I noticed this:

Oh yea the card is hitting the drive bay. It turns out the drive bay cage needs to be notched for the card to fit. The 8800GTS is 3cm shorter and fits. Here is a closeup...

Just wanted to let everyone know that it doesn't fit without some minor modifications to the drive bay - meaning you have to use a dremel tool and cut it out.

To make a long story short I think I'm going to change cases...
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

ah you dont have to do that! just send me that GTX and I will send you my GTS! :)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Time to get a CM Stacker case :P
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

yea i had to squeeze my 8800 gtx in my case...its just a hair above my ide cable connection on the mobo for my dvd drive too :? which is kinda scary lol
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

HONkUS wrote:ah you dont have to do that! just send me that GTX and I will send you my GTS! :)
no give me your gts so i can run sli!!!
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cyberneticimplant »

Wow that's crazy. Could be time to upgrade to a full tower.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Nate I can swing buy in the morning and I can help you 'fix' you card fitting issues, as I'm sure I will have no probs getting it in my case :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bubba wrote:Nate I can swing buy in the morning and I can help you 'fix' you card fitting issues, as I'm sure I will have no probs getting it in my case :finga:
I'm sure you would! hehe
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It would fit much better and easier in my case, I've got nothing but room............... :finga:
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

That sucks for me, as I'm currently using an Antec P150 as well... Oh well, I like my case and will deal with any issues if and when I decide to upgrade :P
"Who' doing what now?"
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

that's a heartbreaker, man. my gtx barely fit into my case. I had to do some wrangling to get it in.
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

If you had a really good pair of tinsnips... :D
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Looks like a dremel is in order huh
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

If you wanted to be really ghetto you could just get out a flat head screw driver and hammer and pound on it a few times. :supz: (the drive cage not the GTX :lol:)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

fits like a glove in the Antec nine hundred. Maybe even a 1/4" to spare with drive cages pulled forward.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

That's ok, this card measures in at 10.4" and consumes 165W. The new ATI R600XTX is rumored to be 12.5" long and use 240W. Yikes! :shock:
Joe
noac
Legit User
Legit User

Post by noac »

I thought I had good eyesight, but I can't really see that it don't fit looking at the pictures! Feeling kind of dimwitted for asking but can someone point to where in the picture it makes contact with the drivebay?
P150 solo rev | P5N-E SLI w/NB47J on SB | E6600 w/ Ninja 1st rev | 2GB GEIL Ultra 5400 CL 3 | XFX 7800GT w/ ZM-VF700-Cu | 2 x SP120 250GB
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

noac wrote:I thought I had good eyesight, but I can't really see that it don't fit looking at the pictures! Feeling kind of dimwitted for asking but can someone point to where in the picture it makes contact with the drivebay?
The card is sitting on the drive bay. Look at the right side of the card... it's sitting on the metal housing just above where the fan header (power header) is on the board.
noac
Legit User
Legit User

Post by noac »

Apoptosis wrote:Look at the right side of the card... just above where the fan header (power header) is on the board.
[img]http://hem.bredband.net/navnoa/antec_p1 ... gtx(2).jpg[/img]

B? Or am I way off? The drivebay housing is blocking the card from "sinking down" towards the motherboard?

Which revision of p150 do you have?
P150 solo rev | P5N-E SLI w/NB47J on SB | E6600 w/ Ninja 1st rev | 2GB GEIL Ultra 5400 CL 3 | XFX 7800GT w/ ZM-VF700-Cu | 2 x SP120 250GB
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

B -- The card is actually inside the top rail and hits the bottom rail. This prevents the card from being inserted into the PCIe slot because it can't do any farther down towards the motherboard.

How can I tell what revision I have?