PS3 price cuts already being considered?!

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

PS3 price cuts already being considered?!

Post by tomato »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165103.html

"Sony exec tells AP that reevaluating the price of the console is one of the back-to-profit strategies the games division is considering; no indication given of time frame."

Whoa, talk about a bold (or desperate) move by Sony.... not that the PS3 isn't doing all that well (it's only been a few months), but I guess it's not performing/selling as well as Sony would've hoped.

If they drop the price to XBox360 levels, then I may consider purchasing a PS3, but not until they release a (in my opinion) must-have game ;)
"Who' doing what now?"
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I think this is a good indication that the PS3 is not doing so well.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Maybe they are considering RAISING the price :)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

maybe they won't be so cocky the next time around, and that 600 bucks for a console is just stupid. hmm 300 for a Wii or 600 for a PS3...
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

KnightRid wrote:Maybe they are considering RAISING the price :)

Mike
The funny thing about that is, some Canadian retailer HAVE raised the price of the PS3 citing the dollar conversion rates as their excuse... greedy bastards :evil:
"Who' doing what now?"
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cyberneticimplant »

In one particular week PS2 actually outsold PS3 in Japan.

I think the sales will pick up once the console becomes more established, and the price drops. Gran Turismo 5 should be pretty badass.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Remember that one reason for the high price is the Blu-Ray drive.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

yea $600 is a REAL good price with the Blu-Ray, but people were buying it for a game system not a dvd player ( at first anyway ).

and please stop comparing the wii to the xbox360 and ps3, there is NO comparison. Wii is FUN, but the graphics suck, no next gen ANYTHIGN in it, just a glorified ( and not much I might add ) gamecube.

Wii should be compared to dvd games, that would probably be better.

Now if Sony would have been smart and left the blu-ray OUT of th system, they could have sold it for the xbox360 price point and been in the lead. I wont buy one at $600 until I see if blu-ray or hd-dvd is going to win the war. Sony will not make that happen with the PS3.

Mike

oh and I love my PS2 :p so I am not a Sony hater/basher, and I love the kids gameboys, so I liek Nintendo also....Microsfot...well..ummm..I like...ummm.....the perty packaging for Vista, so I hate MS...umm..do not hate...yea..thats it
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

KnightRid wrote:yea $600 is a REAL good price with the Blu-Ray, but people were buying it for a game system not a dvd player ( at first anyway ).

and please stop comparing the wii to the xbox360 and ps3, there is NO comparison. Wii is FUN, but the graphics suck, no next gen ANYTHIGN in it, just a glorified ( and not much I might add ) gamecube.

Wii should be compared to dvd games, that would probably be better.

Now if Sony would have been smart and left the blu-ray OUT of th system, they could have sold it for the xbox360 price point and been in the lead. I wont buy one at $600 until I see if blu-ray or hd-dvd is going to win the war. Sony will not make that happen with the PS3.

Mike

oh and I love my PS2 :p so I am not a Sony hater/basher, and I love the kids gameboys, so I liek Nintendo also....Microsfot...well..ummm..I like...ummm.....the perty packaging for Vista, so I hate MS...umm..do not hate...yea..thats it
well said, I have both (360+ps3) and the draw back is the 360 needs an external drive to play HD movies, so the price of the ps3 is fine, since I got the 500$ version.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

More power to you... I just hope that you (or any current PS3 owner) isn't too pissed off if/when Sony decides to drop the price of the PS3 so soon after launch... :?
"Who' doing what now?"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Playstation 2 price cuts from the WIKI

US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, release date) (CAD$449.99)
US$199.99 (May 14, 2002) (CAD$299.99)
US$179.99 (May 13, 2003, "temporary" pricing) (CAD$249.99)[1]
US$179.99 (August 18, 2003, official pricing)[2]
US$149.99 (May 11, 2004) (CAD$179.99)
US$129.99 (April 20, 2006) (CAD$129.99)

So if Sony cuts the price within the first 2 years, they will be ahead of the PS2 curve.

Mike

Just some information for all :) I think I would wait the 4-6 years and get the PS3 for cheap too :mrgreen:
JSN723
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JSN723 »

I hope they cut the price soon... i want one for FFXIII and MGS4 :o

Also thinking about grabbing a 32 inch LCD TV for my room to go along with it.. so any price cuts are definetely welcome =D
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

In one respect, I hope that Sony waits it out, because I think in the long run, the PS3 will do just fine. If Sony can just wait out "the storm" and not hit the panic button (IE: price drop), they should be fine. The PS3 is still selling. It's just not selling as much or as quickly as Sony had hoped :?

On the other hand, as a gamer who doesn't have the $$$ to drop on a new PS3, any price drop to a very new console would be a welcome thing ;) But, it would have to be a significant price drop for to even consider getting one...
"Who' doing what now?"
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

I think they will need to to compete with the 360. It's amazing how bad the PS3 did at launch compared to the 360 and Wii.
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

I had the ps3 but returned it due to lack of games. after beating resistance, play call of duty 3, and nba live, theres really no interesting games out there right now.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

Sony actually raised the price of PS3s by $50 in Canada recently.
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

i have been thinking of getting a 360 for the boys. it is well established and has a ton of games comapared to the ps3.

plus i can get a used one for dirt cheap with games to boot.
JSN723
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JSN723 »

slugbug wrote:Sony actually raised the price of PS3s by $50 in Canada recently.
ugh... why... boggles my mind. Im a sony fanboy, but that makes no sense.
CastleBomb44
Legit User
Legit User

Post by CastleBomb44 »

I think PS3 gotten more bashing than it deserved. I doubt that there will be any price but before the end of next Christmas but I do think they will try and "add" other things to the ps3 such as the ps3 in different colors like they showed an E3. Im personally waiting for some good PS3 games to come out, ps3 price cut, and money for a HDTV => So.. A While but what do you expect from a poor college kid.

I'm gonna stay away from 360 because the games that only really looked good to me were FPSs' and I'm more of an all around gamer.

Ill be waiting for MGS4 + Ps3 + HDTv fall into my price range. :)
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »