Gaming laptop

A place to talk about all things mobile
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Gaming laptop

Post by SlipSand »

What would be best for gaming? I mean I know Alienware, Acer, and Dell XPS are the best (that i know of) for gaming laptops.

Do you think alienware is just overrated? because I was thinking of decking one out after i get in the Army and being able to pay for one. Get RAID 0 and SLI in a notebook, or is that just a bad idea nd build another desktop.

I go to frequent Lan Parties and having to carry things from my base back to my friends house would be a pain in the ass so I was thinking about a more notebook oriented life.

Any ideas?

Thanks
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by chotachatri12 »

which one is best all denpends on ow much you are willing to spend, alienware gaming notebooks start with a $1999 stock price. after customizing it, the price will be over 4 grand but thats if u have the money to spend. otherwise you can get fully customized gaming notebooks with a price from $1900-$2200. if you decide which notebook you want then there should be no problem.
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

I bought a Dell XPS gaming laptop when they had 40% coupons for them and other stackable discounts. It was great for awhile, but it's only shown me I need a desktop for my gaming and heavier workloads. I can't upgrade the Pentium M in it due to chipset constraints, and the only upgrade to the 6800 is a 6800 Ultra and 7800GTX. GPU already went bad so Dell put a 7800GTX in it, but even so it's still CPU limited and the RAM costs a fortune to upgrade. I'm the type of power user that even though I can't live on the bleending edge of technology, I still pick up parts on the cheap and turn them into a pretty fast rig. You can't do this with a power notebook, what it has is what you are stuck with. ;)

I guess what I am saying here is in hindsight I would have gone with one of those small LAN boxes that are almost Shuttle size. The good ones can handle high end components and keep them cool, and you can put desktop parts into them and upgrade or mod them as needed.

Also RAID 0 in a notebook is plain silly in my opinion, disk drives are inherently fragile, and by having 2 you have double the risk. If either drive gets damaged then you just lost everything on both drives. I never checked, but I assume these are still laptop drives... laptop drives are simply slower than desktop models since size is the primary consideration with them. You'd get far more for your money building the best desktop you can buy, and can probably get yourself a 24" or 30" Dell monitor to match for the same price of a fully tricked out laptop.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Alright thanks. for the input.

I will have enough for a fully customized Alienware.

And I do realize the risk you say of having a gaming laptop with the RAID hard drives.

I guess i never really thought about those small square boxes that much. I just didnt think they were as capable as the full sized mobos.

I guess I'll stick to desktop/low profile.

Thanks
BF2MilkMan
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by BF2MilkMan »

I would suggest waiting to see what kind of new mobile graphics come out. I've heard that nvidia will be coming out with a G80 equivalent mobile card. I'm personally waiting for this to come out and then sell my desktop and buy a new laptop with the G80 mobile card.
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

o reely wow SLI then too? 8)
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

My E1705 works well for games, I need to get my dual pipe geforce 7900s gs go in here, it's been sitting in a damn box for like 2 months need to send this thing in and stop being so lazy!