XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB XXX Video Card

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Apoptosis wrote:It's the Danger Den Torture Rack and is available from Danger Den for $149.99. More information can be found on it here.
Yeah, I'd love to get one of them. Absolutely great for testing out hardware and what not.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

I can't believe one of these baddies is being given away!! Really liked the review, I can't read but pictures are nice.....
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

Nice review Brian. Don't forget to dig the article mates!
Plus, anybody notice that sexy new Value Award? Guess who made it :mrgreen:
ikjadoon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ikjadoon »

Zenphic wrote:Nice review Brian. Don't forget to dig the article mates!
Plus, anybody notice that sexy new Value Award? Guess who made it :mrgreen:
lol, it did look newer and nicer..

Nice review! One of the few 8800GTS reviews and the only 320MB I've seen.

~Ibrahim~
Overdrive PC Core2.SLI:

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ ~3.5GHz, ASUS P5N-E SLI, 4GB of DDR2-770, 8800GTS 640MB @ 621/1836, Western Digital 640GB, LITE-ON 20X, CM Stacker 830, Enermax 620W, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

3DMark '06: 10,302
SuperPI 1M: 15.194s
WEI: 5.7
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

WOW!!! This card looks amazing!!! And from I've seen/read, these XXX vesion really ROCKS, as it respectfully competes with some 8800GTX cards, lagging just a bit behind them... :)

Thanks for a wonderful review! :mrgreen:
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

All we need now is some DX10 games and some decent Vista drivers and we'll be all set.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

slugbug wrote:All we need now is some DX10 games and some decent Vista drivers and we'll be all set.
no doubt
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Some new Vista drivers were released today...........;)
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Some new Vista drivers were released today...........;)
That's good to know, though I haven't install Vista (yet...) and I'm still running on Win XP.

That's why I'm still waiting for new drivers (newer than 97.92) that will fix some problems as well as games' imcompatibilites, such as Runaway 2 that is crashing right after the intro movies... :(
Jejking
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jejking »

I just read the review and after I recovered from the shock that a tiny bit overclocked 320MB card can almost beat a 640MB one with even a larger bus, I concluded that I was missing a little bit of background information.

For example: why is that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance so incredibly heavy to graphic cards? Cause it doesn't look shocking to me, or it is just another bad port. Just my $0.02 :)
Not anymore proud owner of a ATi Radeon X800XL ;)
Casper
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Casper »

I have a number of Qs:
1. Do the 8800s have truly unified pipelines, and if they dont, how would this effect DX10? Is all the RAM used for both DX9 and DX10 processes?

2. Rainbow Six: Vegas seems to be widely used as a benchmark because of its graphically demanding engine but you cannot measure its FPS with FRAPS. I think at the least this should be mentioned as FRAPS tends to underestimate FPS for this game. (maybe im totally wrong?)

3. How do you think the 8800 GTS 320 will stack up to the competition in terms of value and DX10 performance from AMD/ATIs offerings?

4. The reviews never mention how CPUs effect video card performance. Ex: would one still get good performance out of the card if they only had an AMD 3500+?

5. Do you guys ever get to keep the goodies you test?
Your not crazy if you take the right pills everyday
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

1. Yes it is unified.

2. Not sure what you mean by this? I didn't notice any problems running fraps with Vegas and the feel of the game matches the frame rate displayed.

3. It's hard to say because all we have now are rumors for the specifications. but it's highly unlikely that AMD would bring something to market that under performs the 8800's. (trust me I'm dying to see myself)

4. The graphics card is the most important part of the gaming experience and for all but the lowest settings the CPU will have little to no affect on how the GPU performs in most games. In 3DMark it's much different.
This is actually our first video card review with a Core 2 Duo, our introduction to the 8800's was completed with a 4800+ which has the same clockspeed as the 3500+ that you mentioned so performance in the games we tested would be similar.
8800 Launch

5. :) Hey, I'm not doing this for my health!

And to answer the question asked earlier about Marvel: Ultimate Alliance...
We're using the dynamic lighting option on high which brings a whole new visual experience to the game. I honestly couldn't tell you if it's a bad port from the 360 as I haven't played it. Without the dynamic lighting all the cards tested ran flawlessly and to the point where one card is indiscernible from the other in actual game play.

I will probably be switching out Ultimate Alliance for Supreme Commander in our video card tests once it's available. We also have a new piece of hardware on the way that will hopefully add to the depth of our testing.
Last edited by Bwall on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlr
Legit User
Legit User

Post by atlr »

I enjoyed this review. I am referring friends that are interested in playing Vanguard to look at the Rainbow 6: Vegas Performance page since Vanguard is based on the somewhat similar but older Epic Unreal Engine 2.5.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/459/5/

Those results, especially at 1600x1200 which is near a 22-in wide flat panel resolution, really make the case for the XXX edition.

I wish the product shopping link in the article would actually bring up vendors selling this card. The first time I clicked on it, I was shown popcorn machines. That may be a legitimate alternate use for this video card though.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

atlr wrote:I wish the product shopping link in the article would actually bring up vendors selling this card. The first time I clicked on it, I was shown popcorn machines. That may be a legitimate alternate use for this video card though.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__XFX_GeFo ... PVT80GGHD9
Cisco Kidd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cisco Kidd »

would this be a worthwhile upgrade to a 7900GTX 512?? I realize it has DX10 over the GTX but that will not be used fully for a while, I see it is faster but is it really needed at 1680x1050 with high detail
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Cisco Kidd wrote:would this be a worthwhile upgrade to a 7900GTX 512?? I realize it has DX10 over the GTX but that will not be used fully for a while, I see it is faster but is it really needed at 1680x1050 with high detail
I really don't see a reason to buy the 7900 GTX unless it's an extremely good deal. The 8800 GTS 320MB XXX is faster in current games and has more forward looking features....seems like a no brainer to me!

As an upgrade from the 7900 GTX I would wait and see what happens with the 8900's.
rockcola
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rockcola »

Do you think this card is better than my 6200 card? I bet I wouldnt see to much of a performace upgrade. :P