My nForce4 fan is making noises

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My nForce4 fan is making noises

Post by pcrobot »

Last night while I was on my PC a strange noise started coming from the tower. I was really tired so I just shut the PC of and went to bed. This morning when I opened up the case I figured out it was the nForce4 fan. (BTW, my mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4-F)

The fan is still running, but it sounds awful... should I look for a new fan on Newegg, call the manufacturer, or just let it go? I'm going to keep my PC off till I know what's safe to do with it.

Thanks!
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cyberneticimplant »

You can call the manufacturer to see if they can send you a replacement fan.

I think you can check Northbridge temperatures with SpeedFan. Usually the fan is just noisy, but still cools OK.

You can also get a passive Northbridge cooler if you don't want any noise. They are about $10.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Highly recommend one of these two coolers depending on how your system is set up.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-HR-05-pr-3350.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-HR ... -3484.html
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

some companies will send you a replacement fan free of charge. Not sure about MSI though.

I'd replace it with something better if you have to buy one.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I'm currently on hold with MSI customer support to ask about a new fan... :axe:

EDIT: OK, I finally got through and hey said they can send me one, for "free" if I pay $7 shipping...
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Next problem... on the MSI K8N Neo4-f they have the PCI-E slot so close to the chipset fan that it looks like if I try to replace it with a square 40mmx40mm it wont fit. :x

It looks like I have to get a replacement stock fan. :(
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There are several special NF4 chipset coolers that are offset just because of this problem. The chipset cooler on my DFI board is directly undr the video card........... :x
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Well, one of the heatsinks that Bwall recommended (the Thermalright HR-05-SLI ) should work (according to the specs and a review on Newegg)

It seems to be out of stock at several sites though...
BenT
Legit User
Legit User

Fix

Post by BenT »

If you can take the fan out and see a hole in it on one side (it may be under a sticker), you should be able to put some oil in and it shouldn't make the noise anymore. My Epox NF4 cooler did the same thing for a while, but this fixed it. I used the same type of oil you'd put on a bike chain.

EDIT: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000 ... 514,00.htm - There is a link to a tutorial that goes into a lot more detail.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

It seems to be a common problem with some chipset fans. The fans can spin at over 5000 rpm and the bearings wear out over time.