please tell me your experiences with 64-bit Windows XP

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
incogneato
Legit User
Legit User

please tell me your experiences with 64-bit Windows XP

Post by incogneato »

i am looking to get windows xp 64-bit but i hear of different stories ranging from good to bad. im wondering what are you all's experience with it? driver issues? installation of apps issues? great performance?

good or bad, please give me all the details you have on your experiences!

thanks!
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

Just letting you know that that makes 2 of us. Please share your experiences with 64-bit versions!
Stormtrooper TK421
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I have it running on a couple computers, its not probably worth your while though, it doesn't have as many programs that will run on it, lots more problems finding x64 installs for things. drivers are a pain especially for slightly older products like wireless cards. companies don't package x64 drivers in the driver cd you have to find them on the website. all in all though you'll notice slightly better frames in games and benches but its minimal. i've had problems with Microsoft installer of late but im' not sure if its the os or me or something else I've screwed up. I'm about to reformat with it and see if it fixes it or I'm going back to 32.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

i have windows 2003 server x64. so far i have no problems with drivers. there are VERY,VERY little programs that wont run, but you can get around most (if not all) with the compatibility mode. most of the compatibility problems come from the installer saying it doesn't detect a supported os but if you go to the temp dir and look for the installer files, you can change the compatibility mode to xp or something then it should work. i like it more than x32 and will probably not going back to it in the future.

SPECS
DFI NF4-D (SLI & SATAII modded) - Opteron 165 @ 290x9 1.35v - 1 GB OCZ Value VX 3200 2-3-3-8 - 2x 80gb Seagate SATA on Raid 0 - Nvidia 7800gt
Bit_Cloud
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bit_Cloud »

I've used a 64-bit system, but I didn't see the need to get it myself. It ran great, and I would've taken it anyday, if it were free lol, but alas, I am broke lol.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

yeah x64 has a wow64 emulator or something that is supposed to emulate 32 bit os. if you do something with it but i never bothered to learn yet. mines running great as of the reinstall.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I installed x64 on my sister's laptop at one point because I couldn't return it (darn oem software policy! :roll: ).

She had xp pro within a few months. For one thing, we had to get a new wireless card for it for the 64, and then it still didn't work. :ANAL:
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
incogneato
Legit User
Legit User

Post by incogneato »

thanks guys, damn i really want to run 64 bit but the lack of support is hurting me lol

it seems like i will be going through a huge mission, hmm. i wanted 4gb of ram but it looks like ill stay with 2 until 64 bit gets some damn support =\
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

if you check to make sure all of your stuff has x64 drivers and all the programs you want do I can only think of one thing off the top of my head that don't aquamark 3. There are a couple more but most really do now at least unless they are older. do some searching and if you find you are good to go. Go for it just make sure to do all the windows updates first. Make sure you download the motherboard drivers off the website for x64 I think my versions requires it to be amd I"M guessing you have an a64 proc.
Merid
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Merid »

Yeah i tried it out for like 2 weeks and had crashes like you've never seen so i switched back...and will never try it again...
Nuxil1
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Nuxil1 »

I used it for a few weeks, but at that time the free version of AVG antivirus wasn't compatible so I was leery of running without antivirus. I did some gaming on it (half life 2) seemed to work fine for me. In the end went back to 32 bit.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Nuxil1 wrote:but at that time the free version of AVG antivirus wasn't compatible so I was leery of running without antivirus.
I forgot about it until you mentioned it, but that's exactly what I found too. I couldn't get Norton to work either. :axe:
Schwarz
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Schwarz »

But why do you want 64bit.
Is there a specific reason.
Because if not you won't really notice any difference between both of them.
I mean even in gaming Half life 64 bit version wasn't anything special at all.
The only time i tried it i left it like what 2 months until I got tired of being the one getting everything late.
Everything that would get released wouldn't work on the 64bit version.
Of course now things have changed but back then I couldn't even run Daemon tools !!!!!
A lot of hardware companies don't release much drivers for 64bit nor do software companies do.
Its gonna come though but I wouldn't lose my time with it.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

daemon tools has an x64 version and has since the 4.0 version started. xp x64 as stated earlier I believe supports more system memory than 32 bit I believe up to 8gb instead of 2 max for 32 bit. running games in 64 bit will take better advantage of your hardware to get better fps for those that support it.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

I tried it but for some reason it caused all of my downloads to be corrupted.
(Asus A8N-E onboard lan) I tried a few different drivers with the same result.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

I had XP x64 installed and running for a few months. It wasn't bad, but not worth the extra compatibility hassle over the 32-bit version.

I'm currently running Vista 64-bit. Support seems to be quite a bit better for this, I haven't had any 64-bit specific problems yet, and only a couple Vista ones.
Schwarz
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Schwarz »

No I know that Daemon tools is now supported my point was that you usualy get things a little late.
drivers and so on.
Now though most companies will release both drivers but its sometimes a hassle and sometimes even buggy.
And some companies don't even release any 64bit versions of their software/drivers.
incogneato
Legit User
Legit User

Post by incogneato »

i want it for more memory but i guess i should wait anyway because the 2gb memory sticks arent that hot right now and very expensive too.

maybe by the time 2gb memory sticks get better there will be more 64-bit support.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Forgot another problem with my 64 bit adventure, at the time (I don't know if it's different now) HP didn't have any 64-bit drivers for printers, and my sister uses an HP printer for her tax returns (four times a year-thanks self employment!) and other stuff, so she needed it to work.

So yeah. :roll: