best Opteron and Mainboard for OC'ing

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
tranphuloc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

best Opteron and Mainboard for OC'ing

Post by tranphuloc »

Please help me to find the best Opteron and Mainboard for OC'ing ??

cause I'm gonna buy new OPty PC :D

thx so much
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DFI lanparty series seems to be THE boards for Opty's!!!

The Asus A8N32 is also supposed to a killer board...

I've used the DFI SLI-DR and they rock!!!
Currently using the DFI Expert mobo.....this board has caused me ALOT of heartache!!! But I now have it stable and it also rocks.......
My main probs with the expert was memory stablity....It took ALOT of tweaking.....but then again, things were harder for me because I moved from BH5 sticks to TCCD sticks to UCCC sticks all in the space of 2mths......and this is my first time with AMD64..

FZ1 has a few Opty's running......he also uses the DFI lanparty.....

Which chip are you getting?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Do you like to tweak and change BIOS's on a frequent basis? If so go DFI

Do you like to setup your system and get it right in under 15 minutes? if so go ASUS

:)
Jarlax
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jarlax »

I have been thinking of upgrading from my current Intel to an Opty and so far all of my reseach has been pointing me to DFI. There are a lot of real positive OC's with the board and lots of stability.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

DFI NF4 Ultra-D if you don't have or want SLi. YOu could get teh expert series but they cost alot.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Heretic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: best Opteron and Mainboard for OC'ing

Post by Heretic »

tranphuloc wrote:Please help me to find the best Opteron and Mainboard for OC'ing ??

cause I'm gonna buy new OPty PC :D

thx so much
If you haven't bought a board yet, wait. RD580 comes out in a couple of weeks (especially if you want crossfire eventually) and is quite promising. You'll see boards from Asus and DFI, among others. I've heard that the new DFI should be about the same price as their RDX200, so the price is pretty good.

As far as which opty to get...if you're not going to go with subzero cooling, you might try buying one soon from Monarch. The steppings on the 165's they're selling right now are nice (one friend has his at 2.8 stock volts), but are cold bugged (so it doesn't like very cold temps :/). If you search around some deal sites, you may find coupons for Monarch as well, which would sweeten the deal.
InFuZiOn
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InFuZiOn »

This isn't exactly right along the topic but I've heard that the coolers than come with the opteron's are better than xp-90's. Is that right?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

InFuZiOn wrote:This isn't exactly right along the topic but I've heard that the coolers than come with the opteron's are better than xp-90's. Is that right?
Comparable.......Depends on what fan you use with the xp-90!!!
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

they are just about the same performance wise. We are talking about the new ones, not the old ones
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Back to topic... so far i have not been impressed by either SLI or Crossfire. I dont think they are worth the $$ so why wait. Right now you have the DFI Ultra-D one of the best overclocking and tweeking motherboards ever.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
amdme127
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Here is a suggestion

Post by amdme127 »

I got an opteron 165 and an asrock dual-vsta motherboard
The motherboard is made for tweaking and is under $70

opteron 165 are 1.8ghz and are known to overclock to 3.0ghz for the each of the two cores.

I had it for two months and works amazing.

Good Luck with the purchase