D975XBX2 Intel onboard lan oddity?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

D975XBX2 Intel onboard lan oddity?

Post by srt »

Hi folks,
Does anyone have a delayed link with the onboard lan on this board?
I have a two minute (approx) delay before I can access web etc.
My router is synced and steady but it wont communicate as fast as my last set up using a d-link lan card :roll:
I see the intel pro network connection in device manager and it gives a lot of options to choose in properties but I really dont know what look for to speed up the connection :? Anyone have ideas on this. I thought about contacting intel support but knowing this board I felt there may be others with experience? tia.
Stuart.

BLKD975xBx2KR. WD Raptor 150gb sata hdd,plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 2 gb crucial ballistix ddr2, intel e6600 core2,geeforce 8800 vid card, sony floppy drive, Antec Phantom500+Antec P180.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Not sure. My LAN via Linksys router seems really good. Try connecting straight off the board to the modem?
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Do you mean using another lan card?
I can do that but it involves removing it from my other pc which is a pain.
Hopefully there may be another fix as I would like to retain the onboard lan. It does work but its just annoying having this delay- - particularly after the looooong boooot up :|
Stuart.

BLKD975xBx2KR. WD Raptor 150gb sata hdd,plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 2 gb crucial ballistix ddr2, intel e6600 core2,geeforce 8800 vid card, creative x-fi,sony floppy drive, Antec Phantom500+Antec P180.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

No, I mean bypass the router. Put the LAN cable directly from the modem to the LAN connection on the MB.

Long boot up? Try disabling Legacy USB support in the BIOS?
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

The router is also the modem ie: built into it so I have lan cable from mb to router to phone line :|
Stuart.
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

What Speed does your LAN say it's connected at? should be 100Mb/s I think.
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Yep its 100Mb/s
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
progrip
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progrip »

I used to get that a lot with my old comp I had before this build. I would just turn my router & comp on an the same time and it came right on. With the bx2 I don't have this issue. I log in on vista, takes about 1-3 seconds for full internet.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: D975XBX2 Intel onboard lan oddity?

Post by DaddyRabbit »

srt wrote:Hi folks,
Does anyone have a delayed link with the onboard lan on this board?
I have a two minute (approx) delay before I can access web etc.
My router is synced and steady but it wont communicate as fast as my last set up using a d-link lan card :roll:
I see the intel pro network connection in device manager and it gives a lot of options to choose in properties but I really dont know what look for to speed up the connection :? Anyone have ideas on this. I thought about contacting intel support but knowing this board I felt there may be others with experience? tia.
Stuart.

BLKD975xBx2KR. WD Raptor 150gb sata hdd,plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 2 gb crucial ballistix ddr2, intel e6600 core2,geeforce 8800 vid card, sony floppy drive, Antec Phantom500+Antec P180.
Is this from bootup/logon or from anytime you try to access the Internet? Also, is it during ALL web connection or just from the first time you try to connect?
And are you using the Windows XP or another 3rd party personal firewall?

I ask this because sometimes the network will not be able to connect until the firewall is fully initialized.

Also you could try to bring everything down then power up the router/modem, after it's initialized wait a minute or so to bring up the PC. (I'm assuming this is DSL?)

As for settings for the PROset you might look at these settings from the control panel accessible under device manager:

1- "Link Speed" tab set to auto and should read "100Mbps/Full Duplex"
2- "Advanced" tab = "Wait For Link" you could play with the settings for this to see if it helps.
3- "Power Management" tab uncheck everything here.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi,
I think I will need to eat some humble pie :oops: here as I just discovered that the hang is not specific to the router but it appears to be associated with ALL actions involving a left mouse click :roll:
I dont understand this but if I attempt to left click the start button (after boot or restart) it just stays depressed. Right click the desktop and I get the normal box- -left click anything and nada :rolleyes:
This is from bootup or restart :( No firewall initiated- - just the router.
I use zone alarm pro after alls up and running.
So it seems as if something is hogging the first two minutes after I get a clean desktop showing after boot eg: all icons set etc.
Thanks for the head up on the PROset :rolleyes:
Grateful for both of your inputs :P
Stuart.

DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Humble pie is good stuff, I regularly have a slice or three :lol:

Go here and download these :

Sysinternals Suite (MS bought Winternals :evil: ) :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... suite.mspx

There are a bunch of cool utilities in there, one of them is "Autoruns.exe" that will show EVERYTHING that autoloads at startup and logon. Might be a good way to investigate what the little bugger is...

BTW they are priced great, FREE...
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Hi again,
Well I checked out the Sysinternals Suite (lots of stuff there :shock: )
btbh I was a little overwhelmed :oops:
Anyway I also went into a number of other areas in msconfig- - deleted stuff but still had this problem :(
Then I went into add/remove windows components and added some monitoring tools and ALL the options for networking services. Then I set all the networking services in the services (local) options to automatic rather than manual and I get down to a twenty second delay- - which is good for me :) So its not the lan on the board 8)
Thanks again for inputs
Stuart.

murtoz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by murtoz »

I have the S975XBX and had exactly the same problem (left clicks would do nothing for the first two minutes after boot. They did register though and after the two minutes any program I had tried to start would actually start)
Check you windows event viewer (right-click my computer, manage, event viewer, check both system and application logs) for any errors.

It's been a while since I had the problem, but if I remember correctly, it turned out to be the trusted platform driver/software. Did you install this?

I did a clean windows install (for various other reasons), disabled TPM in the bios and did not install the software. Now everything works pretty much straight away when the desktop shows :-)