going with 64, but which socket is best?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

going with 64, but which socket is best?

Post by grunt »

Im a gamer, (as I have stated before) So which 64 is best for me? I gotta get a pc together soon before I leave but am gonna be scrounging (is that how u spell that word, lol) to get a pc together. Im gonna probably go with a 3000+ since theyre pretty cheap. Also I am going to try and get a 6800gt cuz Im thinkin it might be better then the x800 especially for the price. Also 1gb ram. Saying this which way should I go?

Off topic on this one but I think I am going to go with the super lanboy (antec) for my case. Maybe around a 400watt p.s. How bout it?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

On the cheap, go with the socket 754 CPUs, if you have more cash to spend, go with the new socket 939 CPUs. The 939 might have a longer upgrade life to them. I'd get the ATI X800 card myself, but that's just me.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

doesnt seem like too much more for the 939's, which m/b to go with is my next ??? MSI looks nice, so does the abit av8
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

If you want to game, and you obviously do. I'd recommend the ASUS A8V Deluxe (socket 939), make sure you get the Rev 2 (White box), as they have fixed the lock problem. Very good and very stable mobo.
As to the processor, i have the 3800+, very good CPU, but for the money I'd recommend the 3500+ or one of the newer economical chips (I think they just released the 3000 and 3200 for 939).
As for the Video Card, I bought a Sapphire X800Pro VIVI, worked awesome, and even better once i flashed it to a XT Platinum Edition. I put an Arctic Cooling VGA silencer on it and at 526/1120 it never breaks 50C.
On Sandra I hit about 6400 on the memory test at stock speeds, that 500 more than my 3.2 E O/Ceed to 3.75. On 3DMark 2005 I hit 5796 with the new Beta Drivers at stock CPU and video card settings.
So for around $900-1000 you can put together a sweet systemx... oh, and as to a cooler for the 939 I'd recommend the XP 120 with a 120MM Panaflo fan, you won't find anything that will cool it better unless you use water.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'd try that new PQI ram that the BOSS man just tested.......... :shock: Newegg sells it also I think. Cheaper than Corsair and runs pretty good.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I would hang out for the new 939's if you can the should be out this week in retail channels. Monarch Computers has them for presale and i expect newegg and zipzoomfly to have them later this week. The other mobo i would take a look at is the abit, its a bit ceaper than the asus and has the same chipset, dont know if the pci lock works for sure though. i saw it listed on newegg for $114 i think.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The Abit board is the one I'm planning on getting I think. In the past few reviews I've read they have been OCing pretty well.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Abit boards do O/C well, but their stability leaves abit to be desired. Also, alot of times they require modifications to reach their true potential. I'd honestly recommend the ASUS A8V Seluxe if you are getting a socket 939.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I myself have never had a stability problem with my Abit boards. My NF7-7S has been running 24/7 at 220x11 at 1.825 (220 is the highest the ram will go without loosing the timings) volts for some time now, even folding and it just keeps on ticking........ :shock: My last Abit bord before this one was a KX7-333R and it was the same way, OC'd with the tightest timings I could get and it just kept on going. The board is still running today in my nephews system. I guess it's just the luck of the draw as with anything else in OC'ing. But I'll stick with Abit.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

I agree with the o/c part. However I dont think I will risk it while I am in Iraq for simple fact that it will take too long to get replacement parts. I think Asus is the way I will go.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Grunt, if you go with the ASUS, get it from Newegg as they are shipping the Revision 12 boards. The Version 1 and 1.2 both come in a green box with white trim and the wireless adapter, the Rev 2 comes in a completely white box and doesn't include the wireless kit.
My new version 2 has working locks while the versions 1 and 1.2 didn't. Very good board that I highly recommend .
As to the Abits, I know Bio really swears by them, as do some other people i've talked to, yet I have tried three of their boards, one died and the other two were RMA'd, i've also talked to others who had the same problem, but just like Bio said, its the luck of the draw. While mine worked, they worked very well, when they died, they went fast. As to ASUS, I've never had a problem, they may not be the greatest O/Cers, but they are very stable and this A8V is the best board i've ever used.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

From what I've been reading, the Asus board is also a very good over clocker as long as you get the later version. all the top boards seem to be pretty even in the 939 area right now. You really can't go wrong with asus or Abit right now.