The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Ever see products that are free after rebate and wonder how good they really are? We found the Ultra Products V Series 500W power supply and couldn't pass up the deal, so we bought and put it on the test bench. How will this FREE 500W power supply handle a dual-core system running some high end graphics cards? Read on to find out how it did on graphics cards like the 7900 GS, 7900 GTX and 8800 GTX!

Article Title: The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/465/1/
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

damn i missed it, i thought about it, but thats what i get for thinking bout it right!!!!
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cyberneticimplant »

Wow, very nice to see some videos.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

wow! im impressed!

Still though it barely handling an 8800GTX is kinda a mute point considering I doubt anyone who can afford a GTX will be kicking around on a free 500w PSU.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

HONkUS wrote:wow! im impressed!

Still though it barely handling an 8800GTX is kinda a mute point considering I doubt anyone who can afford a GTX will be kicking around on a free 500w PSU.
You'd be surprised. The one component that people skimp the most on is the PSU. People will spend 200+ on case but only willing to spend 50 on a PSU. To me that's ludicrous

I gotta say I'm rather surprised that the Ultra fared as well as it did
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

hehehe, if it's good quality, it should work fine:). A lot of time, the free product maybe free because the company want to clear up the inventory and warehouse.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

SAMSAMHA wrote:hehehe, if it's good quality, it should work fine:). A lot of time, the free product maybe free because the company want to clear up the inventory and warehouse.
I think they wanted to clear out the non-Active PFC power supplies since they can't sell them in Europe any longer.
ikjadoon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ikjadoon »

I paid $5 more after MIR for their 500W X-Finity, which works great...

I love their deals.

~Ibrahim~
Overdrive PC Core2.SLI:

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ ~3.5GHz, ASUS P5N-E SLI, 4GB of DDR2-770, 8800GTS 640MB @ 621/1836, Western Digital 640GB, LITE-ON 20X, CM Stacker 830, Enermax 620W, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

3DMark '06: 10,302
SuperPI 1M: 15.194s
WEI: 5.7
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

Looks like a sweet deal, unfortunately I already bought my OCZ GameXStream 850w for dual high-end graphics..... but that is awesome nonetheless!!
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I can't believe I missed that... I had my credit card out as soon as I was half-way through the article. :cry: :cry: :cry:
holden_m
Legit User
Legit User

Post by holden_m »

Too bad we can't find a 1KW Power Supply for $10 now. Wouldn't that be fun
ziddey
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ziddey »

It's definitely not a bad powersupply. I had to go through two units before getting a good one though. First one couldn't handle my system at all it seemed. Second one gave off a burning smell and also exhausted a lot of hot air. I have the back of my pc facing the door to my room and when I walked in on it at full load, I'd get a heat wave that I can feel all the way from the door.

I have a 7900gs voltmodded to 1.55v, and cpu at 1.45v running 8x450=3600 (c2d). If I ran it at 1.32v and 8x400=3200, there weren't any problems though. The third one seemed to be working great, but I got an enhance 500w 80plus psu and have the ultra as a spare one for now.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

RMA the Ultra. If its giving off a burning smell then something is wrong, and I wouldn't go anywere near any hardware with it. Good choice on the enhance though. They seem to be an up and coming manufacturer
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Agreed

Post by road »

Agreed, love the review. Clear and concise and I'm guilty of watching the youtube multimeter action. :P

Hey what is the material that the mobo is resting on made from?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Agreed

Post by Apoptosis »

road wrote:Hey what is the material that the mobo is resting on made from?
Top secret.. If I told you I'd have to kill you :)
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Isn't it just styrofoam?

That is quite risky using a PSU that meets the bare minimum of a 8800GTX as you still have to account everything else connected to it.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Ultra are a good PSU IMHO, I used to run the Ultra X-Connect for a long time before I got into water coolng and all those fans and pumps and the like. Never had a problem with them at all............ 8)
Last edited by Bio-Hazard on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I assume you mean Ultra.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

werty316 wrote:Isn't it just styrofoam?

That is quite risky using a PSU that meets the bare minimum of a 8800GTX as you still have to account everything else connected to it.
That is a misconception about power usage... the nvidia rating is for the total system and not just the GPU ;) If just the video card was pulling in 26/28 Amps that power supply would have been toast!
pitumbo
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by pitumbo »

Wow, looks like I was a little late joining this website...that rebate would have been sweet.

I actually already have a spare, never been opened power supply sitting here. I thought I had a problem with my old PS but it turned out my rig was shorting out b/c it was in contact with my metal case. I am a computer genius :)