R600 Delayed For Re-spin That Adds Samsung GDDR4 Memory?

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm not sure if you guys saw the main page today, but Samsung announced they have 4Gbps GDDR4 memory now. Now that this memory has come to light, could ATI be re-working the card to have it? These new GDDR4 IC's are clocked at 2GHz and are built on the 80nm process. Since the reference ATI cards had ~2.2Gbps Samsung GDDR4 (anyone know the actual?) it would be interesting to see what happens.

Who knows just a thought... Share your thoughts if you have any.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

well if thats true then it really shows that the R600 GPU alone cant stack up to the 8800. All ive heard since 8800 was released was that AMD is trying to get the clock as high as possible and now this with the GDDR4? Its strange considering on paper the R600 specs we are told seem to be better then the 8800 but if thats true then what's taking so long!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

HONkUS wrote:and now this with the GDDR4?
I honestly have no clue... All ATI is saying on the phone is that it was held for strategic purposes. I just thought this new GDDR4 breakthrough a couple days later was interesting. When I asked ATI if a re-spin was being done they couldn't comment... They did say that the card would be public May/June, which is about how long it would take for a re-spin...
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

im not disputing your idea I think its perfectly plausible and probable Im just starting to think this is going to be one mess of a patchwork card thats going to be totally different then what it was meant to be from the beginning.

Im starting to think R600 might be AMD's "GeForce FX 5800"
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

ATi should be confident as the R600 looks much better than the G80 on paper; I guess they want a for sure win but whats to stop nVidia from using Samsungs new GDDR4 memory also.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Zoogle
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zoogle »

Sadly, it sounds like a delay excuse more than anything. Better architecture usually beats out brute clock speeds but I guess we'll see.

nVidia won't be swapping to GDDR4 anytime soon since they'll have to redesign the power circuity among other things. Perhaps in the another card but we probably won't see GDDR4 on any of the current cards 8800GTX, GTS-640, and GTS-320.
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

ATI probably wants to make sure that not even an nVidia refresh could beat the R600, as is the debatable case was with the R580
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

So the delay is proven fact, no speculation here?? May/June is going to hurt them as people are going to be eyeballing that nice, shiny new 8900GTX card in the meantime if nVidia decides to not hold it.

Next thing we'll hear, AMD will be delaying it again so they can create a 65nm silicon spin... :evil: If they delay the launch to long it's going to really create problems if it doesn't totally own the 8900GTX card... some not as well read people are already of the mind that ATI is "behind" simply because of nVidia's early launch last year.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

also Nvidia is able to devote more resources to the 9000 series while AMD is franticly trying to get r600 out the door.
Zoogle
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zoogle »

I cry for AMD-ATI when I'm not busy saving up for my C2D system.
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

if the same thing happens with the R600 as did with the R520, I'm gonna be ticked off. >.> If like the R620 comes out two months after... >.>